• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's One-Pound Gospel Dramatized for TV

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That hundred-pound-bishonen as a BOXER!? I'm sure that'll get the female contingent watching, but... that'll look pretty ludicrous unless he has one hell of a sports training montage...
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm surprised this hasn't been turned into an anime TV series yet. It's one of the few Takahashi series that is done, so they can easily adapt the whole thing.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
didn't they do this already years and years ago? Maybe it was Korean done? I dont think the market will take to this too well in this day and age - maybe years ago it would have worked, but now? Maybe just the fans.... A one-time special would probably work better than a whole series.
mochi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
"That hundred-pound-bishonen as a BOXER!?"

To be fair, he will be playing a boxer who is supposed to be a flyweight which is in the 110 lb range. Of course, to make things believable, he should lose some body fat and add some muscle. Also, he will have to gain weight for the times his character is forced to fight as a featherweight...that weight class is about 15 lbs heavier.

On a side note, two of the current world champion flyweight boxers are from Japan...Takefumi Sakata (WBA) and Daisuke Naito (WBC).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
mochi wrote:
To be fair, he will be playing a boxer who is supposed to be a flyweight which is in the 110 lb range.

Unless the Viz manga and OAV are both mistranslated (unlikely, as they're by different translators), Kosaku is a featherweight (126-130 lb.) At one point in the OAV (can't find it in the manga, but it might be in there), his coach complains about how many weight classes he's gone up.

Ah well. Ridiculously scrawny lead aside, I am looking forward to this. I do love the manga. And Kamenashi Kazuya is a good actor. I enjoyed his performance in Nobuta wo Produce.

SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Huh, I'm surprised this hasn't been turned into an anime TV series yet. It's one of the few Takahashi series that is done, so they can easily adapt the whole thing.

Well, she JUST finished it a few months ago.
mochi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wikipedia lists him as a flyweight...it won't be the first time Wiki has been wrong. Still, the Japanese are currently quite competitive at the flyweight level, so it wouldn't hurt to modify the story to reflect this.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
What really impresses me is that Rumiko Takahashi has concluded a work left incomplete for so long. CLAMP should follow her example.
fadeblue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Um, the drama is running only for one season (Jan-Mar), not a whole year.
jopojelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
fadeblue wrote:
Um, the drama is running only for one season (Jan-Mar), not a whole year.

Thanks, I was confused. I'm sure 24 episodes will be plenty to adapt the whole manga.

Also, Kosaku fights from Flyweight to Featherweight throughout the series.

Featherweight 131-135
Junior featherweight 127-130
Bantamweight 123-126
Junior bantamweight 119-122
Flyweight 116-118
fadeblue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Actually, one season (for live-action dramas) is generally 10-12 episodes. Though dramas run in hour-long slots, so it comes out to about the same thing.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Kosaku fights from Flyweight to Featherweight throughout the series.

Featherweight 131-135
Junior featherweight 127-130
Bantamweight 123-126
Junior bantamweight 119-122
Flyweight 116-118

Just on an academic note, those weights are off.

If the character is going from Flyweight to Featherweight, in a nutshell for most licensing bodies:

Flyweight -112
Super FW/Junior Bantam-115
Bantam-118
Super B-Junior/Light FeatherW-122
Featherweight-126

Lightweight class has it's limit at 135 (I believe universally), and that's usually the lowest weight class followed by casual boxing audiences outside of a few select regions.

Anyway you slice it, it's going to be some pretty tiny fellas tossing leather.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Justin is having the time of his life just reading about this little event coming up. I have to say this will be interesting, it's one of her shorter series too so I would like to see how they will capatalize on the material.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
didn't they do this already years and years ago? Maybe it was Korean done? I don't think the market will take to this too well in this day and age - maybe years ago it would have worked, but now? Maybe just the fans.... A one-time special would probably work better than a whole series.

You're probably thinking of her other work, Maison Ikkoku, which was turned into a Live Action drama series this past May. Although, I think they did make a live action movie based on it quite awhile ago, sometime in the 80's.

I'm looking forward to this, aswell. Especially if it follows the manga pretty well, all the way to the end. The end (Which only recently got published), is the only part I havn't read.
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

They did. It's an OAV that's only available on VHS. Wasn't as good as the manga, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1