• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga in Walmart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
I have a walmart 3 miles away,so I should probably check it out.

Considering there's 3200 Wal-Marts in the U.S. and Tokyopop's test market is only 100 stores, the odds are pretty much against most of us finding manga at Wal-Mart yet. But, hey, way to go, Tokyopop!

However, I'm sure they'll have to keep certain titles out of Wal-Mart or people will complain. (No "Fake", no "Gravitation", for sure---others?)

Tokyopop is just amazing. When are they going public? I'll be first in line to buy their stock!
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I have...not seen any titles yet Razz I havn't been there in a while to look at books, but at Target, I did see like 3 titles that are not good. Maybe the manga is spreading to those chains of stores...whatever Walmart and Target are...? I hope they are good titles Anime smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
No they don't edit CDs... some music and movie companies produce edited versions of CDs and DVDs which they sell to Wal-Mart and Blockbuster, but that's done at the company level. It's fairly impossible for another company to edit a CD or a DVD without putting it on a CD-R or DVD-R.

Now Wal-Mart doesn't sell certain CDs and DVDs and videogames which a portion of their customers might be offended by, in which case, buy those CDs and DVDs and videogames somewhere else. For people that are in small towns where Wal-Mart is the only game in town for CDs and DVDs and videogames, if the CD or DVD or videogame they want to purchase is not one that Wal-Mart carries in stock... order them online. For people that live in small towns where Wal-Mart is the only game in town for CDs and DVDs and videogame and the explicit CD or DVD or videogame they want is not carried by Wal-Mart and they can't order things online... well, T.S. Don't live in small towns if you like buying explicit stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I doubt they'd sell Kenshin, Sesshoumaru-sama. Viz owns the rights to that series, not TokyoPop.

I went to walmart.com and they have the Kenshin manga, the first two vol.s are about $5.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to post an off-topic link but, since the gauntlet has been thrown down, The Case for Wal-Mart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:
I went to walmart.com and they have the Kenshin manga, the first two vol.s are about $5.

Looks like Viz snuck in there too.

Hmm, it would seem Walmart.com has a really good selection going, 97 results from the search. Not just popular stuff either, quite the variety really.

Anyone know what this? I know it's a graphic novel, but I've never seen a listing like this, certainly not at that price.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Anyone know what this? I know it's a graphic novel, but I've never seen a listing like this, certainly not at that price.

Editorial Ivera does Spanish translations...looks like they're based in Argentina.

They have a manga site over here. Maybe somebody who knows Spanish could give some more details?
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Sesshoumaru sama wrote:

Looks like Viz snuck in there too.

Hmm, it would seem Walmart.com has a really good selection going, 97 results from the search. Not just popular stuff either, quite the variety really.

I have a friend who used to work at Wal-Mart. He said that the Wal-Mart website sells alot of things, but some of the stuff featured in the website arn't sold in the Wal-Mart store. So that means Wal-Mart's website sells Rurouni Kenshin, but if you go inside to a Wal-Mart store there will be no Kenshin.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Hm... old news. I bought a volume of Cardcaptor Sakura there last year.
mizushimo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, not Walmart >>;. That place has bad vibes Cool. I'll still be getting all my manga at the local Waldenbooks, which is also an evil chain, but not quite as evil as Walmart or Barnes and Noble
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Bestbookbuys.com has it listed as:

Rurouni Kenshin NB: 1
Author: Nobuhiro Watsuki
Format: Trade Paperback
Publication Date: January 2003
ISBN: 9871071051
List Price: $ 4.25

Still no clue. Was there anything on Kenshin out at the beginning of this year??? Or maybe it was something that was planned, then cancelled and never came out.

Amazon has it listed (under the same ISBN number) as:

Rurouni Kenshin NB: 1
by Nobuhiro Watsuki
Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.
Edition: Paperback
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Since my last thread got mysteriously deleted, I'll just make it short: If you want anime and manga to continue to be profitable and therefore successful, do not buy from Wal Mart.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Since my last thread got mysteriously deleted, I'll just make it short: If you want anime and manga to continue to be profitable and therefore successful, do not buy from Wal Mart.

I don't follow your logic.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
Out of the 100 Wal-marts which have manga, are any of them in Canada? or outside of the US?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6