• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga in Walmart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I will buy my manga wherever it is cheaper. If it is cheaper at Walmart, then so be it. Sure, I wouldn't buy it if I thought the company was truly EVIL, but I have seen no evidence that shows this. Illogical, ideological, unrealistic, unfounded left-wing rantings and character attacks will not change my opinion. If manga becomes very popular at Walmart, it can only be good for the industry.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone Smile
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
I will buy my manga wherever it is cheaper. If it is cheaper at Walmart, then so be it. Sure, I wouldn't buy it if I thought the company was truly EVIL, but I have seen no evidence that shows this. Illogical, ideological, unrealistic, unfounded left-wing rantings and character attacks will not change my opinion. If manga becomes very popular at Walmart, it can only be good for the industry.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone Smile

EXACTLY! Walmart is good for Manga. If it was thought to be a bad idea by people who decided this, then they wouldn't have done it. Simple as that. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure they had the best intentions, but you know what they said about good intentions. Anyway, I predict that if this goes as far as it does, you'll see less new titles licensed, because the companies will be forced to make even more money off their current titles to survive.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Less new stuff would suck. Sad So, if this were to happen, then, pull out of Walmart man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
Less new stuff would suck. Sad So, if this were to happen, then, pull out of Walmart man!

It won't. Don't buy into his baseless Chicken Little act.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Carol Maxwell wrote:

It won't. Don't buy into his baseless Chicken Little act.

*Looks up* Nope, the sky is still up there...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
ZahmiraV wrote:
But if you don't like Wal-Mart, there are still pleanty of places to get manga.

Since I'm 99.9% certain what GATSU's response to this is going to sound like, I'll spare him the trouble. :roll:

"Not for much longer."

Well, you know, I predict that Wal-Mart having anime and manga will lead to many small, independent anime and manga retailers going bust in small towns.

Oh, wait... there aren't any small, independent anime and manga retailers in small towns! (Except for, maybe, college towns.)

As for small, independent anime and manga retailers in cities and suburbs, will anime and manga at Wal-Mart put a dent in their business? Perhaps, but the anime and manga market has been migrating away from comic book stores for several years now, as mainstream video retailers have large anime sections for that small but big-spending niche, and mainstream bookstores carry manga paperbacks (with the manga publishers largely scrapping the single-issue format entirely), so Wal-Mart getting into the act is but one dent among many.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm sure they had the best intentions, but you know what they said about good intentions. Anyway, I predict that if this goes as far as it does, you'll see less new titles licensed, because the companies will be forced to make even more money off their current titles to survive.

Funny you should say that because I'm pretty sure Tokyopop knows what they're doing better than you do. They're getting by just fine without Walmart so I'm positive they went into this expecting to increase profits, not decrease them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Funny you should say that because I'm pretty sure Tokyopop knows what they're doing better than you do. They're getting by just fine without Walmart so I'm positive they went into this expecting to increase profits, not decrease them.

Emerje

That makes more sense because they're selling MORE not less. So, profits go up, more manga everyone else. So, it's all good! Surprised
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:51 pm Reply with quote
More products for sale doesn't necessarily mean more products are being sold. People never think about oversaturation until it's too late.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
okay, and this would be oversaturation how??? People who want to buy it will buy it, regardless of where they purchase it. That much is clear. Oversaturation only works with business models, and not consumable products for one. (note I place books, magazines and the like as such because the content changes - even the story develops or changes from volume to volum of manga)

Obviously, they calculated that more would be sold based on their research of supply and demand. Oh wait... I forgot that you were on... no, headed up their research team to look into this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
More products for sale doesn't necessarily mean more products are being sold. People never think about oversaturation until it's too late.

Have you been going over my recent posts looking for an angle I might agree with you on? I agree that there is a market saturation point and that too many anime fans buy into the "Disco Stu Fallacy" that the popularity of anime will always grow at the same rate, but I see the advantage of anime and manga being distributed through Wal-Mart in that the people in small towns whom might watch anime on Cartoon Network but not be able to buy anime or manga except on the Internet now have a local retail venue to purchase it, because, as I've said earlier, small towns tend not to have comic book stores. I don't think this will have much effect on overall sales on anime and manga in cities and suburbs, but small towns are still relatively virgin territory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote
Well I've checked my local Asda Supermarket, which are owned by Wall Mart here in the UK, and apart from a DBZ PS-2 game and a Poké-Mon movie DVD, there was not a scrap of manga of any sort available. Not unexpected mind you. Rolling Eyes
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:48 am Reply with quote
Maybe they just meant soley the Walmart stores. Confused
Crowley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kidotai wrote:
Crowley wrote:
Kidotai wrote:
Like how Wal-Mart stiffs women in pay scales.
Women get "stiffed" in pay scales everywhere. It isn't a Wal-Mart specific phenomena.

Okay then, then howabout the allegations that Wal-Mart employees were forced to work "Off the Clock" which is illegal under US Labor Laws?

Or the fact that wal-Mart routinely does underhanded tactics that supresses worker rights?

http://news.corporate.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20031125/25nov2003151156.html

And maybe you'd like a link from PBS?? I think their fair and balanced.

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/

Bit late now, but neither of those appear to have anything to do with Wal-Mart specifically denying women any rights. Yes, Wal-Mart is horrible to their employees, but you present nothing showing that women get 'stiffed' the most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6