• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Indonesian Child Dies After Reportedly Imitating Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
@fighterholic: so far, this guy falls way short of Jack Thompson's lunacy. Maybe he's just as bad, I don't know... but I think it's unlikely. The man's pretty unstable.

One thing I did forget to mention which may have an impact on how things are done differently would be the cultural and religious differences. After some quick research on the country itself to find that it is mainly comprised of muslims, I am not surprised at the measures that are being asked to be taken right now because of this. Anime can be claimed as something improper to them, especially when it has violence and sex and at times things about religion which people can find offensive.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
That is so sad. I'm wondering which jutsu the kid was trying to copy, or which episodes recently aired that led authorities believe that Naruto influenced the boy's death.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
That is so sad. I'm wondering which jutsu the kid was trying to copy, or which episodes recently aired that led authorities believe that Naruto influenced the boy's death.
This is a sad and tragic report and I feel for the child's parents, but it's not like this sort of thing hasn't happened before in the past. Kids are kids and that means some kids will do daft things that end up killing them. I grew up in a time when the cowboy western was big on the tele and we played cowboys and indians in the woods like many kids our age did. I had a friend who was up a tree and actually fell out of it pretending he was shot. Broke his wrist and arm and fractured his left leg. He was the coolist kid in the gang for a long time, but now that this has reminded me of him, I now think, what a plank? It will happen again too, no mistake.
babyoctopus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hahahaha... it is funny to read my country have our own story about some kid who do stupid things by imitating animes. It's the same situation as in Japan which a girl cut her father's head, and she wear gothic cloths before she cut her dad's head. And many other Higurashi's theme imitated. Also I heard a news where a school boys shoot the friends in school, don't know wich tv shows he is imitating.

In Indonesia, Naruto is aired in 6:00 PM, it's the time where parents and kids spare time to watch TV togather. So their parent should guide their kids to not imitating the action.

The point is, guide your kids in everything.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Evolution still works! Twisted Evil

Anyways, had this same thing happen in the US (actually it has) it'd get more attention. I remember kids screwing up after Beavis and Butthead -- or -- more kids copying that one movie where characters were lying on the centerstrip of a road (not smart to copy).

That would be The Program. I never got to see that scene because they cut it from the movie.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Didn't a kid die after imitating a Pokemon, too?

I really hope they don't have to put disclaimer on Naruto like "Do not try this at home". Kinda OT, but the instruction booklet for the Nintendo DS game Trauma Center: Under the Knife has a disclaimer that says "Please do not attempt any of the operations from the game in real life". That really makes me sad that they even think they have to say that.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
OK. it's clear Naruto isn't a kid show. Maybe older children. Yes, foreign networks due need to be more careful when broadcasting anime shows that have lots of fights. But I feel censorship should be used when needed. When there's sexuality or nudity in a kids show, it should be toned down or edited out completely. I feel anyone that opposes censorship should look at both sides of the issue.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
First off, if the kid's dead, how do they know he was imitating Naruto? If there was someone around to witness this, why didn't they stop him from killing himself? Secondly, when does someone in Naruto strangle themself? Shocked Maybe I missed that episode, but is sounds a bit bizarre to me.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
OK. it's clear Naruto isn't a kid show. Maybe older children. Yes, foreign networks due need to be more careful when broadcasting anime shows that have lots of fights. But I feel censorship should be used when needed. When there's sexuality or nudity in a kids show, it should be toned down or edited out completely. I feel anyone that opposes censorship should look at both sides of the issue.

Sorry? We can beat the shit out of people, but if there's BOOBIES AND INNUENDO THE WORLD WILL EXPLOOOOOODE?!?
I think that's a little odd myself, that sort of mentality.
And as a matter of fact, I don't think that you have in any way at all looked at both sides of the issue, so I'll pick up where you left off!

I don't believe censorship is much of a solution; parents and politicians that aim to demonize certain content (although I'm sure at least some of them mean well) don't have much in the way of evidence to support their claims.

Look I'm no expert; I'm just a guy who likes to ask questions. I was a kid too once, and I remember a revolting revelation in the way of looking up sex in the dictionary (kids are naive but not unresourceful), and the sickening plummet my bowels took when I first witnessed a stitching. I get that children don't need everything shoved in their faces at once; there's a lot to take in. But what I don't get is this mentality some adults embrace where its alright to mislead and outright LIE to children. Us adults have a responsibility to guide children, and when we make things more confusing then they already are that doesn't help things.

So you know what I think about all this talk about censoring violence and sex and all we deem unholy is at the end of the day? It can get to the point where there is a very real perversion of honesty and trust. I don't think all the titties and exploding cartoon heads in the world are more offensive than THAT. I CHALLENGE people to chew on that for a minute.

EDIT: I was just chewing on this myself and I wonder what makes nudity so offensive to people? Is it because of the word? Nudity...sounds like a condition. "Here live at the Pentagon Jon where an outbreak of nudity has rendered everything into complete chaos..." Social stigmas aside, what do people have against naked bodies? Especially good looking ones? Clothes are important, no argument about that, but it seems ironically childish of us to shelter minors from that sort of thing :p

EDIT of my EDIT: btw since most of any given nudity is female (at least from my experience) girls aren't seeing anything new anyway, so that leaves just boys. Oh the humanity. "EDIT 3: The editing": in any event, if we're talking about the mental stability of small children up to 6 years of age, should they be watching that much TV in the first place? What ever happened to lego?
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Um Okay. So it's pretty clear that when children repeatedly see violence without real reprocutions (like how Naruto always somehow manages to come out alive) they develop violent behaviour because they see the violence has been rewarded. Children are very susceptable to all sorts of influences at that age. Parents are still the most important factor, but increasingly (and unfortunetly IMO) TV has taken a very critical role in children's development.

Now to say that this tragedy occurred simply because of immitation is possible, but it is likely that there are other factors involved. Children DO immitate things they see on TV though, and sometimes horrible things happen. This does not necessarily mean that we need to censor what children see though.

Children need to have a parent around or some other influence showing or telling them that there ARE consequences to violent or dangerous behaviour. If this was done more frequently, and parents and brodcasters took more responsibility then we'd probably see alot less of these type of incidents. But to blame such complicated problems entirely on the media is silly to say the least.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Um Okay. So it's pretty clear that when children repeatedly see violence without real reprocutions (like how Naruto always somehow manages to come out alive) they develop violent behaviour because they see the violence has been rewarded.

Thing is violence is not necessarily rewarded in Naruto. I mean look at spoiler[Zabuza, Haku, Gato, Sasuke's and Itachi's whole clan, Third Hokage, the Sound Ninja 5, and a bunch of others]; they all died! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'd still like to know why the parents were letting this kid do whatever he did to strangle himself to death. I'd say it's sheer Darwinism.

Above all else, I'll just say, this is true for any government. Entertainment shouldn't be censored, rather, a parental involvement to help children develop soundly is needed, not "censorship for the sake of safety." I can't stress this enough.
danth78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Flame-X wrote:
HAHAHA!!! take that narutard!
Wow, thats wrong, and I mean wrong in the most hilarious way possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6