• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 Film Gets DVD in Japan in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
When I went and saw Eva, it was accompanied by an announcement to not bring video cameras into theaters. There were also some posters about it alongside the movie posters. It would've been really hard for someone to record a bootleg of the movie after all that!

Ha! Let's just see them try to bootleg it. There's no way they could get through those kinds of security measures! Anime smile
I bet the DVD will even come with little leaflets about not ripping and uploading it. If that's the case, it may be years before we see any fansubs appear online...

Ladies and gentlemen, the Future Of DRM has arrived.
[removes tongue from cheek]
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
I don't see why it wouldn't have been licensed already, there's already a dedicated fanbase so it's not like there'd be as much risk as with other titles, I'd say they're waiting to make some kind of surprise announcement, maybe a little after the dvds go on sale in japan.

So in short, after it's been pirated as all hell?

Smart move, American license holders! Show those fans who's boss!
x20mar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok does any one know if the DVD will contain English subtitles?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah. I want this.

/raging Evangelion geek
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping for a Bluray disc.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
How long till we see a bootleg on the net?
Weeks?
Days?
Hours?

I remember watching Advent Children in a Gamestop five days after the Japanese release. If Starchild/Gainax thinks we are going to wait on their time table, I have some swamp land in Florida I would like to sell you.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
this ought to be good for a few decades worth of material for eva fans to analyse and make up weird theories using it as source material
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
SlyphGlitch wrote:
If Starchild/Gainax thinks we are going to wait on their time table, I have some swamp land in Florida I would like to sell you.

I don't think Starchild/Gainax are involved in this round of movies. At least, they aren't listed in the encyclopedia entry-
Animation Production: Studio Khara
Distribution Assistance: Nikkatsu
Distributor:
Khara
The Klockworx Co., Ltd.
Production: Khara
Publicity: Nikkatsu

Edit: Unless they just aren't listed but still have the rights to it? I don't know. Just putting it out there.

Not that that changes the nature of your post at all.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Here's hoping for a Bluray disc.

Seconded. I want to balance the stream of drool ... one from the mind-screw, and one from the mouth-agape stare at all the purdy purdy pictures.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm watching it as I type.I haven't watched Eva,since it's original run.and all I can say is "Sugoi!".Gainax,added lots of Cell shading onto the old paint cells,giving them a newer appeal.Off looking CGI is also present.There is also an awesome Neon glow,on the Eva unit 01.

So far,it looks like a retelling of Evangelion,like the way they did Gundam.They have cut, a lot of the drama and introductions,and gotten to the good parts.

Gainax,crazy blends,1995 and 2008.Cg,hand drawn,CG,hand drawn.It will drive your senses crazy.

spoiler[Unfortunately,this first movie,ends with Kaworu appearing,instead of the beautiful, Asuka.]Here's to the April R2 release!

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Yippee! Imports, you are mine! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
uhmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
That's not necessarily a valid assumption, Romuska, unless it was because of some specific issue that is still standing. Things change- and I'd think this is hugetastic enough to warrant some speedy attention from the licensors here. Probably not this year, but I should expect that it will be a shorter wait this time 'round. Right?

...Right? Please?

The original movies took forever to get released here. In fact, the reason Manga Entertainment got it instead of ADV is that Gainax wanted way too much money for the license and ADV wasn't willing to pay that much. Despite the fact that there was already a huge fanbase back then. I wouldn't be surprised if the license costs are still really high and it takes a while for someone to go for it.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been licensed either.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I just hope to God that ADV's still chummier with Gainax than BVUSA is.

If BVUSA ends up bringing this over...the world will become a bit colder. Anime cry;
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
Michi wrote:
When I went and saw Eva, it was accompanied by an announcement to not bring video cameras into theaters. There were also some posters about it alongside the movie posters. It would've been really hard for someone to record a bootleg of the movie after all that!

Ha! Let's just see them try to bootleg it. There's no way they could get through those kinds of security measures! Anime smile
I bet the DVD will even come with little leaflets about not ripping and uploading it. If that's the case, it may be years before we see any fansubs appear online...

Ladies and gentlemen, the Future Of DRM has arrived.
[removes tongue from cheek]

A cam copy has been our for about 2 months now and sometime in the past two weeks a soft-sub copy emerged.

I'd like to buy a nice gift box with all the features of this Japanese release.

I don't know how many will buy the same thing after the fansubs have been out for a year. Rolling Eyes

The real solution to piracy is here, it's just that no one is acting on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
If ADV and Gainax are invested together into getting out teh live ation Eva movie, then I think it's safe tom say that perhaps there's some agreement that ADV automatically gets first dibs on getting this here. They've done a good job and have dedicated fans so i tihnk it's all good if they get it...

And anyone else think that perhaps these new flicks are part of an effort to boost awareness/test the waters and rewrite/simplify Eva for a wider audience all for the sake of the live action project? I certainly think that's part of it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3