• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE DVD 4+5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
I agree with the general opinions of this review. I remember seeing the high rating amongst people here and was looking forward to this series. I'm still a bit confused at why this series is so popular. I also found that these volumes seem to bog down in this monster hunters world. I thought that the quick visits to various worlds in the first couple DVDs suited the series better than this current arc. I did like the appearance of spoiler[Seishirou at the end of the fifth volume]

I'm also disappointed at how little the extras go into the CLAMP universe. The familiar faces section only scratches the surface of the CLAMP roster,
Uthred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the people who like the show have functioning attention spans?
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I personally haven't cared for the script re-writes, but the dub performances have been very good. I agree that the extras regarding the CLAMP crossovers has been abominable. Still, the CLAMP lover in me can't resist this series! And am I the only one who finds Mokona adorable?
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
I have no idea why this anime is even getting released here, frankly (other than cause it's CLAMP). It's not a good anime, and it really ends up having very little to do with the source material other than the characters (which get butchered).

It was a flop in Japan which is why they ended it before it was fully done, and it has more filler than real plot from the manga. The only thing that is reasonably good about this anime is the OST.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:
I don't see why they had to lengthen the span requirement from the manga's own level.

I meen, sucking out all the jokes and such is no way to make a show enjoyable.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Uthred wrote:
I don't see why they had to lengthen the span requirement from the manga's own level.

I mean, sucking out all the jokes and such is no way to make a show enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more

IMO Tsubasa Chronicle as an anime is not good, it is not funny when half of the episode is about Sakura and Syaoran staring at each other. If they had been at least interesting but unfortunately both were annoying. The fights are not good too. Bee Train should start doing anime that are Slice of Life and don't have any fights at least in this kind of anime their slow pace will not be annoying.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
I meen, honestly, look at the Movie and the Tokyo Revelation OVAs, those are prime examples of how to go about adapting T:RC.

There's a time and a place where BeeTrain's animation does wonders and CLAMP stuff is clearly not that time.

It's a sad fall from grace, realy, concidering that Medabots S1 and S2 which were done by BeeTrain was brilliantly animated (as in style, thank you very much) and funny and S3 was an utter mess when it went to Production IG.

Clearest case of Pupil becoming Master in quite the while.

That and, arguably, NHK was never the channel to be airing the show anyway, but that's my own girevences.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I think there is also an issue with CLAMP's pacing in general. Most of their stories begin with a ton of great concepts and ideas and are really packed. This is followed by a good number of volumes where not much happens until the end where a ton of revelations are made. I remember following X manga in Asuka during the early 90s and being really impressed by the first three collections. I just couldn't get back into the series after the year long break after volume five since the series felt as though it was running in place. The same goes for Rayearth television which seems to have a number of filler episodes and probably would have benefited by being half as long considering how short the manga is. Even Chobits seems to bombard it's audience with a series of shocking twists that are all piled up for the last couple of episodes.

Despite all this I still am a CLAMP fan (since RG Veda's appearance in Wings) and find the team extremely talented. It's hard to believe that they were between the ages of 20 and 22 when RG Veda got it's start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1