• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamisama Dolls Sequel Still Undecided

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Of course the sales were bad, It's something new and fresh and doesn't pander to the typical otaku and show fan service every 2 min. This is very disappointing as this was really the only show i really enjoyed and need to continue as the ending is a bit abrupt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Of course the sales were bad, It's something new and fresh

Narutaru with less rape, sexualism, plot, emotional impact, or murder? Scratch that. Pokemon-except-different-with-kinda-almost-a-plot counts as new and fresh?

jsc315 wrote:
doesn't pander to the typical otaku

Titty monster? Check.
Loli imouto with a brother complex? Check.
Ambiguously effeminate boy? Check.
Angsty bishonen with oddly "friendly" relations with normal MC? Check and check for the fujoshi

Aside from that, Kamisama Dolls was pretty meh for the most part, showing promise in a few episodes and falling flat in so many of the others. Boring MC stuck in a love polygon because he's got such-amazing-potential and grimdark past, blah CGI, blander direction, off-screen bad dudes pulling the strings of... well, something. We might never know unless some hapless individual with enough time on his hands translates the manga, because I can't forsee anyone investing more money into this project.
At least the OP/ED were good.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Well that blows. I really enjoyed the show and was really looking forward to more. I don't understand how something so good would sell badly...well I could think of an explanation but it's in bad taste and didn't make it through the tact filter, so I shall say no more.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It was kinda good. My main draw was the title, Utao and Hibino(not so much later, she's just a more useless legal Orihime) MC wasn't using Kukuri, Utao wasn't a instant expert, Kuuko was fun to watch and wasn't expecting Mahiru to do that to Titino and that woman MC and anti villian liked, didn't expect that. Lost most of my care when MC hijacked Kukuri and when he got Hibino which makes me fear a 2nd season for 15% of the series may be about MC and Hibino trying to "bond" then insert character or event blocks "the bonding" plus I wasn't watching it to see MC fight.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Of course the sales were bad, It's something new and fresh

Narutaru with less rape, sexualism, plot, emotional impact, or murder? Scratch that. Pokemon-except-different-with-kinda-almost-a-plot counts as new and fresh?

jsc315 wrote:
doesn't pander to the typical otaku

Titty monster? Check.
Angsty bishonen with oddly "friendly" relations with normal MC? Check and check for the fujoshi

Aside from that, Kamisama Dolls was pretty meh for the most part, showing promise in a few episodes and falling flat in so many of the others. Boring MC stuck in a love polygon because he's got such-amazing-potential and grimdark past, blah CGI, blander direction, off-screen bad dudes pulling the strings of... well, something. We might never know unless some hapless individual with enough time on his hands translates the manga, because I can't forsee anyone investing more money into this project.
At least the OP/ED were good.

While Kanopan's analysis is a bit harsh, I agree that suggesting that this show was new, fresh, or not pandering to otaku is a joke!

That said, I found it surprisingly good, not great, but consistently good. Hibino was probably the best drawn outrageously over-endowed anime bubble-boob character I have ever seen, mostly because she was usually portrayed wearing modest cloths, which is the way that most girls who are overly large tend to dress. They tend to try to draw attention away from their large assets, probably due to self-consciousness about them, I would think. (At least that is my observation over the years...) There were other positive aspects as well, though the pathetically unable to admit his feelings protagonist was a pain week after week! I would give it a strong 7 of 10, maybe even 8 based on the 11th and 12th episodes. The last episode was a bit of a letdown because of the amount of unfinished story, especially since the teaser at the end about the "next story" or whatever turned out to be a false tease.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
At least they're considering one. I wasn't expecting one at all.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
They should've just taken their chances and gone for a 26 episode season rather than a 13 episode one. Oh well. I guess money is always the issue isn't it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Let me get this straight something like Dog Days gets a 2nd season but this doesn't are you serious. That just goes to show you its not quality driving sales.

Dont bring up Narutaru, that was an unwatchable mess with an incoherent story line, that was just ungodly graphic to cover up its lack of anything else. If there wasnt the scene where the chick got skewered through an opening, and not the mouth, I wouldnt even remember this show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Let me aget this straight something like Dog Days gets a 2nd season but this doesn't are you serious. That just goes to show you its not quality driving sales.

That's pretty true. Brains Base doesn't have an avid following like Seven Arcs does. I bet most of those who bought Dog Days were Nanoha fanboys just trying to mke sure an A's movie gets made or whatever.

About this show... I heard it was a tame Narutaru. That's not particularly inviting for me. Hearing that it's got a bunch of fanservice doesn't do it any favors either.

I love Brains Base. They have done some of my favorite recent shows (Baccano, Kurenai, Kuragehime, Denpa Teki na Kanojo, Mawaru Penguindrum, etc)... but this show just did not attract me one bit.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I've tried some of the manga but for me it just didn't flow as well so I was hoping this would get a second season (since I have read spoilers and damn, I WANT a second season now) but I had heard the sales were really bad. Funny though, this didn't seem like the kind of show that would bomb so badly, I can never guess what the Japanese fans are/aren't going to like.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I bet most of those who bought Dog Days were Nanoha fanboys just trying to mke sure an A's movie gets made or whatever.

Perhaps, but I have a different theory on this. Dog Days had an extremely bland concept, yet somehow still managed to be kind of addictive. Kamisama Dolls had a lot of potential in its premise, but was frustrating to watch because it wasted far too much time just teasing at the things that would have made it interesting, while focusing on the mediocre elements. It's possible that, like me, most people simply find good execution more entertaining than watching good ideas go terribly wrong.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Haven't finished yet, but it's not bad actually. Like others have said though, it's an otaku show no question about it.

I hope people realize how many other shows targeting the same base did poorly. Itsuten? R-15? Twin Angel TV? Soft-Tenni? Oretsuba? Mitsudomoe 2? Maria Holic Alive? Sengoku Otome Pink Paradox? All did worse, with sometimes half the sales or less of Kamisama Dolls! The "better" otaku shows like The World only God Knows 2 you say? only 2,164 avg BD

Even the mainstream shows like Sket Dance (1,376 avg.) Naruto Shippuden (~1300) Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (930) Beelzebub (1,698) Bakuman (very bad) fair poorly. And many of those that did better than Kamisama Dolls didn't do much better.

Unless everybody just hated it, so that no one even had TV rips or DVR'd episodes--and I bet most late night anime viewers who did not buy it still DVR'd it--the reason why it didn't do better is plainly obvious to me. Put yourself in the same position:

If YOU had bought Madoka, AnoHana, and Infinite Stratos--just those 3 alone and all their related merchandise--how much do you think you can afford after that?

Just a few more people were able to buy Hanasaku Iroha, Star Driver, Dog Days, and Break Blade; nowhere near as much, but still enough to make these a nicely profitable success. Now, could you also afford these? If so, how much do you think you can spare after that? Keep in mind that you're saving up for Ika Musume 2 in a couple of months as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Here's the list of shows that did above the Manabi line for Summer:

Quote:

24,383 Uta no Prince-sama Maji LOVE 1000% [DVD+BD]:
11,116 Natsume Yuujin-chou San [DVD+BD]:
10,552 Yuru Yuri [DVD+BD]:
*6,896 Roukyuubu! [DVD+BD]:
*5,468 NO.6 [DVD+BD]:
*5,336 Mayo Chiki! [DVD+BD]:
*4,100 Baka to Test To Shoukanjuu Ni! [DVD+BD]:
*3,521 Nurarihyon no Mago ~Sennen Makyou~ [DVD+BD]:
*2,912 Manyuu Hikenchou [DVD+BD]:

It should also be noted that Idolmaster(a lot), Usagi Drop(~6k), and Mawaru Penguindrum (~8k) will also be on this list once their first volume released.

When 9 (soon to be 12) shows can get above the Manabi line in a season, it's kind of hard not to say that a show that couldn't achieve such was simply a failure, especially one that couldn't even break 2,000 copies sold. For so many other shows to succeed means that they had something that drew in otaku/fujoshi to buy them, something that Kamisama Dolls lacked.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:

Titty monster? Check.

This show surprised me. Fan service gets on my nerves. I think one of the things I liked was that despite the presence of such tropes it still managed be different. It felt like there was a story there not just an excuse to pander. I like how the 'beach episode' spoiler[never happened due to a rain storm.]

I liked that it didn't come down to the typical "good versus evil" scenario. There's a conflict but both sides are trying to figure out what to do.

I liked that it had some genuinely funny moments. I think it's due to a decent level of character development. It felt more natural than too much of what I see in anime. The 'titty monster' actually has a personality and a brain. Maybe that's why it didn't do as well. It didn't pander hard enough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
Uta no Prince-sama sold almost 25,000 copies???

It's official. I do not understand Japanese otaku.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3