• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Japanese Men Arrested, Charged with Uploading Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is another Kovacs vs. Veidt thread.

Morality and reality, and all too much swirling about in an endless cycle of non-winners.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I really, really really don't see ads going away anytime soon. I see ads ll over this site & most every site I go to, ads in movie theaters while I wait for the movie to start, ads on my radio, ads in my magazines. I was at a Sports-bar restaurant this afternoon & low & behold, ads with my dinner (on sports shows).

I really do wonder how adblock and the like are affecting internet advertising. At first there was some uproar over it but now it seems to have died down. TV ads still sell, but as fewer and fewer people watch TV it'll slowly become less profitable for advertisers. Though the subject in question we're talking about is anime. Ideally I think ad-supported streaming archives like Anime network's online library should be a good step forwards (now if only it'd work -_-.) The big question though is if that can make enough money to be worth it and cover for the recent changes being experienced. The idea of a tax keeps coming up because sometimes it seems that's the only way to give modest satisfaction to every group involved. Since otherwise it's up to each industry to offer it's own alternative and figure out how to make money.

Which on one hand wouldn't be so bad but considering the problem being faced, that basically means each company has to figure a way to offer their wairs for free or really cheaply and still make enough money to get buy.

Quote:
I think you're in a case of exceptional wishful thinking

I didn't realize the National Endowment for the Arts was rolling in so much dough, they could pay for anime. Do you want anime makers to have to apply to some sort of World Arts fund for a grant to make the anime you want to download? Don't you think the same idiots out there saying Heath Ledger was struck down by God for playing a gay in Brokeback Mountain (Seen it already) would quietly accept the content of a lot of these anime titles?
Naive?
Again. 15,000,000 downloaders by your numbers vs 300,000,000 Americans. 15 out of 300. I'm lousy with math-is that 5%?

I really wondered about that number so I did some digging on google. All I could find was an old New York Times article which said there was currently some fourty three million subscribers at the time. The article though was written four and a half years ago. So if we just round it up to assume for the new subscribers that puts it at roughly 17% of the population. You could still say that's small but that's one out of every six people (probably more, but I can't find any other stats).

The idea also isn't for an anime tax itself it'd be a copyright tax, the best way to do it would be to just tack it on all internet connections, and maybe do a blank media levy like Canada does. No one would have any real creative control, the money would just be divided out based on the amount of traffic a file received. This may not be necessary, but it seems to be where we're most likely headed.

You can't expect to stop downloading, with all the time, money and legislation thrown at the issue it'd be stopped by now if it were going to stop, and some markets are seeing big hits right now as trends shift. short of basically leaving each market to fend for itself there really wouldn't be any other option I could think of that'd get money to the artists.

Quote:
AT least social programs are allegedly providing for the wellbeing of our countrymen. Children are our future. That baby helped by the WIC program might become the doctor who saves your live when your'e older. How you going to pitch taxing what-food? Income tax? cars? tvs? computers?-to your grandparents so you can download for free? They walked to school thru 10 feet of snow or whatever hardship tales they have to tell (No internet when they were kids. No cell phones. No pizza deliver.)
I don't think it's going to play in Peoria.
I think most people would say let the people downloading pay the tax. I'm thinking most would say let anime go bye-bye, my taxes are high enough.

Well you really have to decide what you want to do. This isn't about anime but anything digitally consumable as a whole. Right now the computer has reduced anything that can become a series of ones and zeros to perceived value of nil and this perception is spreading wildly on a global scale. It's impossible to fight, but obviously we don't want to give up our movies, anime, or music, so what else is there to do?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me. When it comes to exercising the rights of ones license, Sunrise is pretty much the most anal Japanese company. Hell just getting them to let you say the word Gundam in an anime production for parody purposes is next to impossible. Everybody bleeps it out these days because they're afraid Sunrise is going to sue them.
ilikehotaznz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This doesn't surprise me. When it comes to exercising the rights of ones license, Sunrise is pretty much the most anal Japanese company. Hell just getting them to let you say the word Gundam in an anime production for parody purposes is next to impossible. Everybody bleeps it out these days because they're afraid Sunrise is going to sue them.
The world is in need of international copyright reform. The people are screaming, and the people get what they want.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
Joshua-Sensei wrote:

I'm not a teenager sir, but this is the internet age is easily mistaken.
Maybe suffering was too harsh a word, blame the American people for throwing the word around, (kinda like the word love) deprived would have been a better choice of words.
I understand that decent anime and mange gets licenced.. that is understandable... but at the cost of other decent anime and manga.
Then again we are talking anime and manga when I usually download live action series... now I would like to see your argument for those.. since RARELY are they ever licenced in America...
I pay for my anime that has been licenced in the US, or if the anime company it's self sends a C&D letter to the fan subbing group, it's not like I just go on downloading sprees and download everything can get my hands on.. for instance Romeo x Juliet, as soon as the C&D letter was sent I stopped downloading it, I respected the wishes of the company to not have it fansubbed...

I drowned the kittens.. they meowed to much.[/b]
You may not be a teenager in actual age, but by the looks of your posts so far your attitude and mentallity hasn't crossed the 19 barrier yet. So if you don't want to be mistaken for a spoiled 15 year old with "I'm entitled to everything now, and the world is cruel and mean for not giving it to me." angst, then start posting in a way that does not give that impression to us next time. Your definition of "decent" might not be what the general public would call it. and it is to the general public that companies want to target their product in order to get the most profit, that's fundamental business. Also you shouldn't have to be told to stop doing something by someone you are doing it to, when you should already know that what it is you are doing is wrong. That is what is expected of a responsible adult in any country.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
Define doing in that context please? I don't know exactly what someone is "doing" to someone else when there is something that's unlicensed that they basically couldn't buy (and they couldn't get an R2 dvd unless they knew the language).

I'd asked you this before. What exactly is the difference between me waiting and renting (taking money from anime purchases to do so) for $3.99 each, and me watching something fansubbed and therefore being able to spend more buying the actual DVDs? None of what I've heard indicates that rental is worth more to the companies than purchases (and in many cases renting titles can be difficult because of availability issues). Not to mention there is that whole "waiting" thing that I'm supposed to be doing for some unknown reason that you have always been unable to explain.

Rather than answering the question last time, you decided to "sum up" my argument and play the moderator card.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
embarrassingly nice things

Aww, stop it. You'll make me blush. Embarassed

---

Joshua-Sensei wrote:
Why should I be deprived of a series because it was not licenced for whatever reason.

You aren't being deprived of it (that would suggest you had it and it was taken away) - you're just not being given it.

Quote:
There is a call for it... I mean if there is a call in America for tv stations like RFD tv or "The Hunting channel." on regular cable in America there is no reason why anime should no be mainstream tv.

I have no idea what RFD covers but I imagine "The Hunting Channel" costs very little to make, appeals to an adult demographic advertisers can sell to and, given the continuing love affair between Americans and their guns, has a vast (and stable) potential demographic. None of which applies to anime.
If an anime channel was currently viable, why did ADV's cable channel wither away instead of going from strength to strength?

Quote:
You're right it is a luxury but for those of us who can't afford it you say just don't watch it?

I didn't say "don't watch it" - I gave you a list of four ways you could watch it legally and cheaply.

Quote:
I am deprived of an art form because I am poor? Wow... that's totally awesome.

Welcome to capitalism. This is hardly a new state of affairs. When TVs were expensive luxuries, most people didn't get to watch TV. When radios were expensive luxuries, most people didn't get to listen to the radio. When books were expensive luxuries, only the rich could afford to buy them.

Quote:
Fine bad example Dr. Who, imported from Britain, sells for 34.00 a season. The original Office, which was a BBC show (you know this obviously) sells for 29.99... Monty Python ect... Now what is your answer to that?

1) I could be wrong but I think I read that the BBC distributes its own shows in the USA. Hence no licensing fee.
2) Dr. Who and the Office are mainstream programming - they appeal to millions of people. Most anime appeal to thousands of people. They're entirely different markets.
3) All three shows (especially the venerable Monty Python) more than made back what was spent on them long ago. Any profits from DVD sales are icing on the cake. For the US (and European) anime industry, DVD sales are the cake.

Quote:
99.00 for the Evangelion boxset is ridiculous, 75.00 for Gantz

But plenty of people have purchased both, so clearly the pricing for those shows wasn't all that ridiculous from a retail point of view. They wouldn't keep re-releasing Eva if nobody was buying it.
Also, are those really the best prices you can get those things at? How about sale prices? How about second hand prices? How about just renting them through netflix or whatever when you feel like watching them?

Quote:
when entire series of things like MASH, SITC, and Friends sell for 199.00 and they are around 250+ episodes... Now I know you're going to say well it's imported.. fine... Monty Python has around 100+ episodes in their flying circus, and it sells in the us for 75.00... imported and not overly priced....

Again, those shows already served their purpose - the DVD sales are icing. And, again, those shows have tens of millions of fans rather than tens of thousands. It's economies of scale. The only anime that comes close to the same sort of mainstream exposure would be stuff like Pokemon and other children's shows - non-children's anime in the USA is not mainstream and you can't expect the same sales model to work for it.

Quote:
I understand that decent anime and mange gets licenced.. that is understandable... but at the cost of other decent anime and manga.

But unless you've read and watched everything available, it's not really a problem.

Quote:
Then again we are talking anime and manga when I usually download live action series... now I would like to see your argument for those.. since RARELY are they ever licenced in America...

I'd have no problem if all you were downloading was an English script (or just the subs without the pictures) so that you could create your own fansub using the official R2 release.

Quote:
if the anime company it's self sends a C&D letter to the fan subbing group, it's not like I just go on downloading sprees and download everything can get my hands on.. for instance Romeo x Juliet, as soon as the C&D letter was sent I stopped downloading it, I respected the wishes of the company to not have it fansubbed...

Why do you have to wait to be told that company X doesn't want you ripping off series Y? Shouldn't you take that for granted from the outset? I would have thought that "please don't rip off our stuff" was pretty much the default position for anime, TV and manga companies.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Define doing in that context please? I don't know exactly what someone is "doing" to someone else when there is something that's unlicensed that they basically couldn't buy (and they couldn't get an R2 dvd unless they knew the language).

I'd asked you this before. What exactly is the difference between me waiting and renting (taking money from anime purchases to do so) for $3.99 each, and me watching something fansubbed and therefore being able to spend more buying the actual DVDs? None of what I've heard indicates that rental is worth more to the companies than purchases (and in many cases renting titles can be difficult because of availability issues). Not to mention there is that whole "waiting" thing that I'm supposed to be doing for some unknown reason that you have always been unable to explain.

Rather than answering the question last time, you decided to "sum up" my argument and play the moderator card.
Look mate, I and many others have explained it to you in several different ways in other threads and posts, but there is no blinder, defter a person than the one that just won't look, or listen. But I'll try yet again on the off chance that your receptors are synced in this time.

Renting is legal.

Making and downloading fansubs is not legal.

Impatience is not a valid reason to download fansubs to see if you like it or not. if you rent the first one, or two discs and decide you don't like it at least the people who brought it to you still get a bit of payment for doing so. How does a fansub do the same thing?

Saying that it will never be licensed in your country is not a valid reason to download a fansub, because if that happens chances are you weren't suppose to see it unless you are living in Japan anyway. What you never had, you'll never miss, and you have no right to use someone's stolen copy.

All good things to those who wait.

Oh damn, you've droppd off again already.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Renting is legal. It's also kind of a hassle, not always an option (world =/= USA after all), even if it is available, the selection may be very small (like in my country - one can watch horrible quality Inuyasha and YGO episodes, Akira, the GITS movie and a handful of Miyazaki movies only so many times).

Downloading fansubs is illegal. But they're free, they're convenient, they're easy to get, and they're the only way people can see some shows at all, at least in the next ~10 years. How am I hurting the industry if I download a show that otherwise I wouldn't even know about? Hell, how am I hurting the industry if I import shows that I became aware of via fansubs?

So yeah. They're illegal, no doubt. But still they exist and serve a purpose, good or bad.

Mohawk52 wrote:

.............Yeah. Right. How long do I have to wait to be able to buy Kemonozume on a reasonable price, preferrably with subtitles? 'Cos while I like the show (that I got to know via fansubs), it sure isn't worth $323 + shipping (that is 56,560+ HUF in my currency) to me, especially without subs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Renting is legal. It's also kind of a hassle, not always an option (world =/= USA after all), even if it is available, the selection may be very small (like in my country - one can watch horrible quality Inuyasha and YGO episodes, Akira, the GITS movie and a handful of Miyazaki movies only so many times).

Downloading fansubs is illegal. But they're free, they're convenient, they're easy to get, and they're the only way people can see some shows at all, at least in the next ~10 years. How am I hurting the industry if I download a show that otherwise I wouldn't even know about? Hell, how am I hurting the industry if I import shows that I became aware of via fansubs?

So yeah. They're illegal, no doubt. But still they exist and serve a purpose, good or bad.

Mohawk52 wrote:

.............Yeah. Right. How long do I have to wait to be able to buy Kemonozume on a reasonable price, preferrably with subtitles? 'Cos while I like the show (that I got to know via fansubs), it sure isn't worth $323 + shipping (that is 56,560+ HUF in my currency) to me, especially without subs.
Well like you yanks like to say "life's a bitch and then you die." If you didn't see it by an illegal means you wouldn't have known it existed in the first place, and so would never have wanted it. So now that you have self inflicted yourself with a wanting of this title that you should have never have seen unless you live in Japan, you want sympathy and absolution for stealing it. and then slag it off as "not worth it"? Yeah right.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'm no yank. Me ESL person. Me live in small and insignificant Central European country with worthless currency and a small anime fandom (it's developing though, thanks to fansubs).

Also, I wasn't asking for sympathy (huh? where did you read that?). It's not like I cry myself to sleep every night because I can't afford (and even if I could, I wouldn't want) to pay such outrageous money for a bunch of DVDs, no matter how good the show is. I bought my share of anime, and I'll buy more when I can afford it. Until then, I watch fansubs (well, raws, actually) and whatever happens to be on TV. And if I ever come across Kemonozume (or any other show I like) at a decent price, I'll support the creators by buying it, instead of leaving it there because I have no idea what it is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I'm no yank. Me ESL person. Me live in small and insignificant Central European country with worthless currency and a small anime fandom (it's developing though, thanks to fansubs).
I'm suppose to know that when you haven't listed your location? You write like a yank so you must have had an American English tutor then, or are you a US miltary person, or military brat stationed in Europe?

Quote:
Also, I wasn't asking for sympathy (huh? where did you read that?). It's not like I cry myself to sleep every night because I can't afford (and even if I could, I wouldn't want want) to pay such outrageous money for a bunch of DVDs, no matter how good the show is. I bought my share of anime, and I'll buy more when I can afford it. Until then, I watch fansubs (well, raws, actually) and whatever happens to be on TV. And if I ever come across Kemonozume (or any other show I like) at a decent price, I'll support the creators by buying it, instead of leaving it there because I have no idea what it is.
The way you wrote it implied to me you were looking for sympathy and understanding. A raw is not a fansub because raw means there is no sub at all, if you didn't understand that. I hope I don't have to tell you what fansubbing means. So now having established that, you're saying you are watching raw anime and not fansubs? I take it you can understand Japanese as well as English, Yes?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
At the rate we're going, the US dollar isn't going to be worth much more than toilet paper by the end fo the Bush Administration.

Oooo-this or that cheap box set!!!!
Yeah, why did I spend $75 for the only season of Brisco County? I would expect IF they ever bother with Brimstone which I would dearly love to have(John Glover as the devil), it'd be up there also since it was a smaller niche title. Monty Python was WAAAAAY more expensive when they first released it. I'd expect both it & Dr Who (old series at least) are in the "thin pak cheaper re-issue" stage of their existance. I remember the set of Monty Python around $200 a yr or 2 ago when I looked & chose not to buy. We were getting 2 dvds of The Prisoner for $40 then, also-a show from the '60's.
I paid about $35 for M made in 1930 because it is an art film the masses wouldn't bother with (their loss).

Quote:
Yeah. Right. How long do I have to wait to be able to buy Kemonozume on a reasonable price, preferrably with subtitles?

Again, how long to I have to wait for Brimstone? Or the really funny Student Bodies made in the '80's? Both are American product.
Let me break out my violin & mourn your sadness.

Quote:
The idea also isn't for an anime tax itself it'd be a copyright tax,

But we all know what happens when the government gets their hands in the pot. Never, ever a good thing. Ever. You could probably kiss a healthy amount of the anime being made now goodbye. They'd have to write an essay about how their product is beneficial & thus deserving of money (Pick one-Kodomo whatever/Nymphet I remember. Yeah, taxpayers would quietly fund that art)
The only people who can be pitching this idea has to be kids with no money who download. The rest of us see how great the government is a wasting money. For every dollar collected, half would pay for studies & administrative costs-at least, if not 3/4ths.
No.
You're naive to think a tax would work. I can't even imagine any politician willing to risk his career suggesting this for Hollywood considering how most Americans would say just do without. Hell, a lot of taxpayers say abolish WIC. You REALLY think Hollywood deserves a dime to them?

What is the issue you all have with commercials anyway? God, some people's only reason for watching the Super Bowl is the commercials. Some commercials are better than the shows they're interrupting. My sister had a walker when she was little &, according to my folks, she scarred up the old tv plowing into it all the time because whatever she was doing, when she heard a commercial, she beelined for the tv. My daughter also seemed to pay more attention to the commercials than the shows sometimes.

Most people I know don't have that big an issue about skipping commercials. They get some sort of peripheral notice from it. Maybe as soon as it started, they went to get a sandwich, but most see enough they know Mickey D's Big Macs are 2 for $3 or Quizno's has those $2 Sammies. And most people I know coupon to save a buck. What the hell are coupons but ads? "Here's $.50 off-buy our product." We are never getting away from ads. I get ads in my dvds-here's a coupon for $3 off this movie or $1 off this juice.

We don't need a tax to replace ads. The few who hate them are few & you will likely mellow out & find them enjoyable. I used to love watching those specials where they run a bunch of ads for the whole show. I used to leave the Entertainment channel on to use the movie ads as background when I was working in the living room.

Your example of the BBC (whoever brought it up) doesn't wash. Why do you think OUR public broadcast channel has regular marathons begging for donations? Because you couldn't get Americans to grudgingly fork over $10 per month to support PBS. "I don't watch the hoity toity crap! Why should I pay for it?!" We aren't the most culturally advanced nation on this planet & we actually not only know it, some of us wallow in our ignorance while the rest are resigned to our fate.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I felt the urge to say "IT HAS BEGUN.." Mortal Kombat style. Heh.

Hmm..well, I can't say it's a bad start, it's illegal to upload, so I don't see why it's a huge deal as a report.

If things get way too out of hand, no matter what happens, people still will find other ways to get things to free.

However, if they are following their law, it's every right to call the cops and government incompetent?

Anime hyper perhaps, maybe not...

people even tried to make anime out for free to stream, but that's not good enough.

...sorry, going off topic again.

I don't know what to add to these posts, but...I don't like people calling other people stupid for any views whatsoever.

._. impoliteness, much?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Since we're debating the tax idea, I would be in favor of a "media" tax, i.e. a special sales tax on all digital media containers.

Basically a tax on storage space, fixed as a dollar sign per byte (with a cutoff below a certain threshhold for non-portable media.

So a tax on CD-r, DVD-r, hard drives, flash drives, and all other digital storage media (with perhaps an exemption for hard drives that are below a certain capacity, say %25 the average capacity on the market, so that smaller hard drives don't get taxed).

That way, those people who download and wish to keep lots of stuff pay for it, and those who wish to buy non-recordable, pre-printed media like DVDs don't have to pay the tax.

Can everyone be happy with that, now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9