• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Alien Nine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
it is a moe show before people knew what made a decent moe show, let alone a good or even excellent one. because moe eva (in anime form) FAILS very poorly. now the manga may very well actually go somewhere the ovas seem to stop where the story is finally done with it's world building arc.
I would HIGHY recommended gunslinger girl (which is in print again thanks to yen press) and has two half season of anime. over this if you are in this because of the contradicting moe and bad stuff happening to the characters.

Gunslinger Girl is pretty shallow. If half of what the column said is true, then Alien Nine is a far richer work....and not trying to be moe at all.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
The previous head of our anime club and a couple of other members love the anime of this. personally I could barely stand it and only watch all the episodes because that is what the club was doing at the time. to me it just came across as dragging a little girl through "hell" which entails sending a bunch of boys her own age after her and her crying every five minutes (I am not exaggerating here) it is a moe show before people knew what made a decent moe show, let alone a good or even excellent one. because moe eva (in anime form) FAILS very poorly. now the manga may very well actually go somewhere the ovas seem to stop where the story is finally done with it's world building arc.
I would HIGHY recommended gunslinger girl (which is in print again thanks to yen press) and has two half season of anime. over this if you are in this because of the contradicting moe and bad stuff happening to the characters. also higurashi is another great example of this.

I like Higurashi a LOT (at least the whole thing in general, I think some of the arcs are better than others). I'm not as big of a fan of Gunslinger Girl because of the suggestive relationships between the girls and their handlers, which icks me out more than Alien Nine does, although I admit that Yu Aida is a capable storyteller.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I have only watched the Gunslinger Girl anime, but I would have to say it is probably one of the best exploitation flicks out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2