• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Step Up 2 Da Shelf

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the pics on the GG Veridan collection. I got the GXP one but wasn't impressed. The thin cardboard cover around the set is useless and is really easy to crush as the DVDs don't use all the space. I like Funi's attempt at green but this just reminds me why I like plastic. If they can make the case more sturdy I'll be interested (don't get me wrong the inside case was sturdy but the cover to hold all the flaps together is a piece of junk).
Kouga13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Saw quite a few Pioneer sets there Crying or Very sad
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
I know fans like it when they release anime faster on DVD. With RAGNAROK vol. 2 containing 9 episodes on 2 disc set like vol. 1 did.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
*shiver* those pics invoked a bit of diabetic shock.

Had seen Simoun & Step Up in the ... impending title, lists and stuck them in the maybe-eventually pile and sadly nothing really to dislodge them yet. There's always next week.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Simoun looks a little too fanservice laden for me. While the whole gender issue seems like a twist; it also seems like an excuse to make it Yuri and that just says "contrived" to me.

I'm with ya there. Some Anime just seem to try to push a limit, but it gets old when its already been done a thousand times.

Other than the impossibly cool clothes that everyone wears, Simoun barely has any fanservice, at least not the blatant type you see in the typical harem anime.

And for a series where everyone at one point was female, there's not that much yuri, especially when you have some characters declaring they want to me male for their respective partner at times. spoiler[One couple manages to nail all three orientations during the show.]
WesW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Simoun looks a little too fanservice laden for me. While the whole gender issue seems like a twist; it also seems like an excuse to make it Yuri and that just says "contrived" to me.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, and ask that you check out an episode first. At first, I also thought, "Really? All women? Yuri fantasy!" but after watching it, I realized that the yuri element rarely comes up at all. I think that may have been a way to market it better, but it's a very, very minor part of the series. The gender assignment is actually a really interesting concept. It brings up a lot of questions, like whether gender is something you're born with, or something that you can innately feel. Also, if you could change gender to advance your career, whether you'd do it.

Simoun does indeed have an interesting setting, and could have been a great series if it had developed and explored all of those concepts. Unfortunately, it never does, leaving the viewer completely frustrated. Once you get beyond the initial episodes, the series degenerates into a b-rate melodrama. I made a couple of posts in the dvd 1 review thread which detail my thoughts, if you're interested.
The reason I'm giving you this head's up is that, given the show's strong start, one could easily blow over a $100 before realizing that you had been had. Go ahead and rent the first volume for it's unique setting, but know that all of the show's promise gets completely pissed away, and save your anime budget for shows that deserve your money.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:17 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't go that far in deriding Simoun.

True it IS a bit of a let down, the beginning is much stronger than the ending (the last episode or two is...really...difficult to accept, it's a non ending really). But regardless of it getting worse (again I blame Neveril) it is enjoyable throughout, the kind of over the top melodrama seems to fit the personalities that are crafted for each character, so while melodramatic, it's not forced but seems to be a natural fit for the characters. spoiler[(except for the suicide on the invading, flying station...)]
UEHacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I spy two Sailor Moon bootlegs in that collection picture. Sailor Moon R and Sailor Moon SuperS

Sad
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the pics of the VC DVDs. Well, they didn't look as bad as I imagined. They have the same content in the DVDs, which is what I want. So I'll be buying them. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely jealous of all the Moetan as well. Ahhhhh! It's all so cute. I've gotten over the fact that Moetan (along with Strawberry Marshmallow) makes me feel a bit creepy, and I'm now happily enjoying the pastel colors and Yukari Tamura's adorable voice. (I also like the Hermes plate. Very nice.)

My ratio's probably 1/3 male to 2/3 female figures... I tend to like cute moe figures though, so I might not be the best one to judge on =P

Simoun sounded like an interesting anime, I might end up checking it out.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, and ask that you check out an episode first. At first, I also thought, "Really? All women? Yuri fantasy!" but after watching it, I realized that the yuri element rarely comes up at all. I think that may have been a way to market it better, but it's a very, very minor part of the series. The gender assignment is actually a really interesting concept. It brings up a lot of questions, like whether gender is something you're born with, or something that you can innately feel. Also, if you could change gender to advance your career, whether you'd do it.

The gender concept seems like something very interesting and worthwhile in it's own thread to talk about but would probably get too off topic. It is something that could be kept pretty relevant to the title in question and to anime in general which plays along this theme quite often. Therefore I think I'd like to hop into this discussion a little bit as it is a topic I'm always greatly interested and quite involved with in my personal life.

Firstly though, not to burst bubbles but in order to address Bamboo's example questions I'd like to point out that the word "gender" should not be confused with the word "sex". In the column it was stated that the girls were changing their gender when they went into the spring. When we saw a glimpse of that with Eri, she realizes she will become a man but it was said "nothing will change." I think that was profound in expressing the belief it is not their gender that is changing, simply their outward appearance. Maybe that is the only place in the show it is seriously touched upon, so even the yuri elements don't exhibit a contrived plot thickener introduced by this gender concept. After all, there are plenty of yuri (and yaoi) shows that don't have any sort of gender-bending quality, just the same-sex romantic implications that stand well on their own. And in Simoun it's very subtle anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4