• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the anime industry is not gonna go down hill and/or slowly die out and disappear.

I hope that day will never happen. This all could be just a result(one of the many thousand results,EX: companies down-sizing and laying people off,etc..) of the bad economical situation that the US is in at the moment.

An official statement would be nice.
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Kyouki-Kamikawa wrote:
i JUST checked my on demand, both 5 centimeters per second AND Kanon are still airing on demand as of this moment

This isn't a good way of telling anything, since VOD availability is determined by your local cable head-end, not the network directly.

They do cancel things right away tho,at least in the past. and other sites still have 5 centimeters release as march 4th, 2008.

also, why would they buy the rights, pay the voice actors , then just drop it? especially gurren, before airing ANYWHERE. and wasnt adult swim gonna air gurren?
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:
I hope that the anime industry is not gonna go down hill and/or slowly die out and disappear.

I hope that day will never happen. This all could be just a result(one of the many thousand results,EX: companies down-sizing and laying people off,etc..) of the bad economical situation that the US is in at the moment.

An official statement would be nice.

IF ADV does announce closure or something to that effect, (which I find highly doubtful, though their actions do signify some very apparent economic belt-tightening) it's not so much a reflection of the current U.S Economy (which is for another conversation altogether) as much as a growing problem within the anime fandom and genre.

We all know one of the major contributors and I don't want to bring it up because it doesn't need to turn into one of those threads...however, it would be foolish to dismiss it entirely as a substantial reason for all of these financial problems.

That's all I have to say.
hurricanefransee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
man i hope ADV doesn't go and do a geneon on us. they have some of my favorite anime. i just hope it is some mistake or someting . i was really wanting to get welcome to the NHK.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It really bothers me that these companies don't bother to tell the fans what's going on. If they're going to cancel shows or stop production then just come out and say it already. They're going to do it already anyways, no sense stringing people along and just getting them more upset.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking this was a license expiration bit (given the ADV UK reference to Excel Saga and a few other titles going OOP), but boy was I wrong...

However, In the "Coming Soon" section of the trailers, there are entries for Devil May Cry, Gurenn Lagann, Moonlight Mile, and Project Blue Earth SOS. Although the DMC and GL entries just have "Trailer Coming Soon," at least there's still reference to them.

EDIT: Kanon, NHK, Wallflower, and Magikano still show up under Comedy. Red Garden, Pumpkin Scissors, and Xenosaga still show up under Hot Titles. Tokyo Majin shows up under Fantasy. So maybe these were removed and added back. Would be nice to hear clarification from the source one way or another, though.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
championferret wrote:
I wonder if it's a mistake, there seems to be no logical reason why they'd pull Gurren Lagann, I mean its one of, if not the, most popular anime of 2007. I know a LOT of people would buy it, so I can only hope this is a mistake.

You're right. Canceling GL wouldn't make any sense. It's bound to sell tons of copies. But then again, Geneon basically canceled both Hellsing and Black Lagoon.

I was going to buy Gurren Laggan! I haven't seen it because I knew it was my type of show and it was licensed. It was going to be my collect series for 08. Oh no.

But lets not all jump the gun. It might be something else and not the doom we're guessing. I'm being optimistic. This isn't a sure fire super doom of the industry yet.
Zalis116 wrote:
In the "Coming Soon" section of the trailers, there are entries for Devil May Cry, Gurenn Lagann, Moonlight Mile, and Project Blue Earth SOS. Although the DMC and GL entries just have "Trailer Coming Soon," at least there's still reference to them.

Oh that's good!
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

I for one hope it isn't anything as dramatic as what this says seems to. The fact that ADV first canceled the deal with Geneon, then canceled Anime Network 24hr, then Newtype, then their new magazine not focusing primarily on anime and now this supposed new development. I really think it is time someone at ADV comes clean as to what's going on before everyone who hasn't already started panicing starts to.

As of this moment, I will not purchase any unfinished series until all volumes and/or a box set is available for fear of losing yet MORE series I began purchasing in good faith. I imagine I'm not the only one thinking this anymore.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
...This is scary. If ADV dies, I will be VERY angry. I'm already unhappy with this--I like Pumpkin Scissors, and I'm interested in Red Garden. as well as others on that list...
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like I may have to spring for those Kanon R2s after all.

This news + today's weather = sad girl in snow (me) Crying or Very sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
EDIT: Kanon, NHK, Wallflower, and Magikano still show up under Comedy. Red Garden, Pumpkin Scissors, and Xenosaga still show up under Hot Titles. Tokyo Majin shows up under Fantasy. So maybe these were removed and added back. Would be nice to hear clarification from the source one way or another, though.

That's good to hear. Perhaps it was a mistake. Still, some clarification is badly needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If everything on that list does end up cancelled, then that's three more half full(empty) artboxes on my shelf.

I hope it is just something silly, like their webmaster came in drunk and deleted a database or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick reminder - be sure to parse your comments carefully. The news item simply reports that mentions of these series have been removed from the site. No other information is known at this time. ADV declined to comment for the story.

Zalis116 wrote:

Those all still show up as trailers, yes, but even with titles already released, clicking on "more info" or "buy now" results in an empty page. If you click on any of those series' trailer page and then click 'buy now' it says 'this item cannot be found'.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't care, if they tell us they aren't finishing NHK, I'm stabbing someone in the eye at SDCC.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
i think the words "Oh Crap!! Oh fudge!!!" comes to mind...

i'm HOPING it's just website changes...or REALLY EARLY April Fool's joke...

Last edited by icepick314 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20