• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just a quick reminder - be sure to parse your comments carefully. The news item simply reports that mentions of these series have been removed from the site. No other information is known at this time. ADV declined to comment for the story.

Zalis116 wrote:
EDIT: Kanon, NHK, Wallflower, and Magikano still show up under Comedy. Red Garden, Pumpkin Scissors, and Xenosaga still show up under Hot Titles. Tokyo Majin shows up under Fantasy. So maybe these were removed and added back. Would be nice to hear clarification from the source one way or another, though.

Those all still show up as trailers, yes, but even with titles already released, clicking on "more info" or "buy now" results in an empty page. If you click on any of those series' trailer page and then click 'buy now' it says 'this item cannot be found'.

Good job, Zac. Your post just implied that you people know a lot more about what's going on than you're telling us.
Why else would your moderator need to "parse" his comments carefully, eh?

So it's just a matter of time until the shoe (whatever type of shoe it is) drops. I'll be waiting.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
It could just be they're cutting costs on their website, by taking down pages which suck up a lot of bandwidth...
Viga_of_stars

Dargonxtc wrote:

I hope it is just something silly, like their webmaster came in drunk and deleted a database or two.

That would be a very funny answer. Imagine explaining that in a press release! Ha!

Seriously, why does anime companies have to be so hush hush. I know they have the right to but still it can get on the anime consumers nerves.
bob_loblaw

Zac wrote:
Just a quick reminder - be sure to parse your comments carefully. The news item simply reports that mentions of these series have been removed from the site. No other information is known at this time. ADV declined to comment for the story.

I won't jump to any conclusions. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a touch concerned. If this were an accidental slip of the "DELETE" key, then ADV would have said so by now. I'm hoping this is just an internal re-organization. But Geneon's scale-back taught me an important lesson to pay attention to the signs, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

I wonder what the health status is of Sojitz is, these days?
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
i JUST did search for "Pumpkin Scissors" and got "No search results were found for: 'pumpkin scissors'."

same thing for Red Garden...Tokyo Majin....Air....Kanon....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jarm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
If this really is a sign that ADV might stop distributing these titles, we might have to abandon the DVDs and just settle for the manga, if there is any.

Last edited by Jarm on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Good job, Zac. Your post just implied that you people know a lot more about what's going on than you're telling us.
Why else would your moderator need to "parse" his comments carefully, eh?

I don't know anything more than what this article states and I didn't tell Zalis specifically to parse his comments, that was a statement to the entire thread after seeing people basically state that these titles have been canceled when there's no further evidence to support that claim at all. It's called being responsible and precise with your words.

Yeesh. Some of you folks seem to be on a bit of a hair trigger.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible that it could just be abit of site maintenance?

I have no idea but it's just a thought.

Also if some of the series missing are complete series... then why havn't all of them gone? Why get rid of Air (a popular series) and not some of the older ones?
finan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Try going to any of there shows sites. All I get is error (404/403) messages even on the old shows. I'm really wondering if they are having database issues or something. Below is the message I get.

The page cannot be displayed
You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

Please try the following:

* Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory should allow execute access.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.
* Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Configuring ISAPI Extensions, Configuring CGI Applications, Securing Your Site with Web Site Permissions, and About Custom Error Messages.
* In the IIS Software Development Kit (SDK) or at the MSDN Online Library, search for topics titled Developing ISAPI Extensions, ISAPI and CGI, and Debugging ISAPI Extensions and Filters.

Last edited by finan on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
i cast fira

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I do hope this is a mistake as well. Perhaps they took them down for some sort of updates? I hope it's not another Geneon-like thing :/
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeesh. Some of you folks seem to be on a bit of a hair trigger.

Well, can you really blame them, though?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it's just maintenance Killtheshrew. If it were something so simple they wouldn't have declined to comment and would have just said so when asked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I doubt it's just maintenance Killtheshrew. If it were something so simple they wouldn't have declined to comment and would have just said so when asked.

Unless company reps just don't know what's going on.

Considering that ADV's site doesn't have a message board or community like ANN does, they probably don't keep quite as close an eye on such things as server issues. I agree that this could easily be one day's technical belch and a complete non-issue for the company.

I see no sense in worrying about the anime industry sky falling over something so insignificant as this.

Last edited by Case on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly regretting picking up Pumpkin Scissors 1 and 2 a few hours ago. Please let this be a mistake, I've been waiting so long for GL to come out and it's only a month from the release too. If GL is canceled I will download it, I was being good and holding off when it got announced, but if they're going to cancel it then I need to finish it. Anime cry

Then there's Sgt. Frog, how many YEARS have we been waiting for that one? Just release it already... Anime hyper

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
well venus versus virus and ah my goddess isin't on the list and they haven't been finished yet, so that may be a good sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20