• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tron: Legacy's Garrett Hedlund Is Frontrunner for Akira Lead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet the J-government kinda is, letting the Okinawans cope with the issue way over there, while the rest of Japan plays NIMBY with the bases. So yeah, most Japanese don't suffer the base issues because they're leaving the Okinawans way over there to suffer it for them.

That's...........the depressingly gutless part of Japan I was referring to...though there are instances of the country being disgustingly gutless, this is a major one. Every country has a flaw they should work on, this is Japan's....that, and just admit they did something bad and apologize to Korea and China already. Confused

Quote:
then the fans would call shenanigans or worse, there may be a long protracted expensive lawsuit.

But all that generally applies to any adaptation, not just something special to manga or anime.

If the Lion King/Kimba the White Lion situation is any indication...as long as you're rich and popular enough, which Holly definately is, you can get away with pretty much anything.

That is...obviously a bad thing.
perfectblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Totally unacceptable.

If a US film company were to start using white actors to play black characters there would be a national outrage. But if it's a Japanese character there is virtually nothing said.

The actors unions really need to hammer this one hard. It's hard enough for a Japanese\Chinese\Korean-America to find a role in a big movie as it is, without movie execs giving Asian parts to white actors.

These days, if you're Asian, and you want a speaking role, your move or less being shoehorned into playing a computer\math geek, a cook in a Chinese restaurant, or something involving martial arts.

The Japanese IPR holders should start putting in an "Asian" clause. To force Us studios not only for US companies to set Asian remakes in Asia, but to ensure that Asian actors get the lead roles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3