• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait until those DVDs have been sitting on the shelves (or in a warehouse) for 6 months gathering dust and price will come down to $10. And it still won't be worth the money!!!
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of early release, but I hope (and I'm fairly certain) it will fail miserably. Hopefully that will force them to revisit their approach to the way they release anime in the US. I realise it's a "niche" market, but you don't make it an even smaller market by pricing yourself out of many people's pocketbook. As capitalism has shown time and time again, selling lots of something at a lower price tends to make you more successful than selling a few of something at a ridiculous price. They aren't going to grow and expand the market with these kind of business practices, if anything it will just shrink it further and force more people into online downloading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Afax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cela wrote:
Arrrrgh, why?! Not that I'm interested in True Tears, but how does BV keep getting these series!? I honestly would rather buy a DVD put out by 4Kids over the absolute crap treatment BV gives everything they get their grubby hands on. -_-

They don't "get" them. They already own them. They're both bandai Visual productions.
psygremlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Did I read right? 7 DVDs for a 13 episode series??? It would only be more blatant that they're out to milk the consumer for every penny, if they actually released the series on 13 DVDs. Not to mention the price of these half-empty disks.

Well, I'm voting with my wallet on this one. Bandai's not getting a penny out of me, and if they carry on with this cynical approach to marketing, I hope many more follow suit and these money grabbers go the way of Geneon and (maybe?) ADV. I'm all in favour of licensing and distributing anime, but when it's done on the BOHIC (Bend Over, here It Comes) principal, then maybe we can start to understand why R1 is in the mess it is.
ThaDewey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
...and they aren't even dubbed from what i read. I might be one of the few out there...but I dont buy DVDs for subtitles.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This is my reaction to this piece of news just five minutes ago:

Me: Hmm, Shigofumi got licensed pretty quickly...
*sees that True Tears is licensed as well*
Me: Wait, True Tears got licensed already?! Very Happy
*sees that BVUSA licensed it*
Me: Oh crap. Well, despite their future release of Haruka still being a rip-off, it was an improvement in comparison to Freedom and Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Divine Wars. Let's see how much it'll cost...
*sees the ridiculous pricing that is planned for True Tears*
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Anime cry

The romantic drama genre is my favourite genre, and due to the fact that this genre generally doesn't get many sales in this part of the world, I try to buy all of these series, and I even go as far as to buy them in singles whenever I can.

But come on, this is freaking ridiculous. Even Galaxy Angel Rune had a better price structure than this. Despite my love for the genre, I simply can't see myself paying $30-40 for DVDs that contain 1-2 episodes. That's just too expensive for me.

It took BVUSA long enough to license a title that I actually wanted. Sadly, I won't be buying it.

megumi's guy wrote:
Wait until those DVDs have been sitting on the shelves (or in a warehouse) for 6 months gathering dust and price will come down to $10. And it still won't be worth the money!!!

As improbable as that situation is, considering that it's 1-2 episodes and the quality IS really good, $10 is actually worth it. Razz

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akakori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is an experiment, and it's gonna fail horribly.

As much as the R1 market wishes they had the same speed of releases as the Japanese market gets, the simple fact is that the R1 consumers are not Japanese consumers. In Japan, paying this much for 2 episodes is completely normal. Bandai are trying to offer the same business structure to R1 but they're not going to buy it. It's just not going to work.

As for beating fansubs... Well, they come out within a week of airing so it's an impossible dream to try and beat them to it.
naruhodo569

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Ridiculous. I've spent quite a fair amount of money on DVD's and merchandise last year (2007), but I will never EVER buy a dvd with one episode that retails for 30 bucks.

I hate to say it but I hope it continues to be fansubbed by someone. Come back with a reasonable price and I'd consider. I don't mind buying dvds but you gotta be reasonable.

For 30 bucks, you could get a full lenght movie on blu ray. I'd expect the highest quality subbing/dubbing + the highest definition mastering for that price tag. At least the movie is an hour and a half long...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
psygremlin wrote:
Did I read right? 7 DVDs for a 13 episode series??? It would only be more blatant that they're out to milk the consumer for every penny, if they actually released the series on 13 DVDs.

Release date and pricing: you either get both or none, i.e. if you want cheaper price, wait after the series finishes broadcasting. You just can't demand Japanese copyright holders to allow BVUSA or any other licensee to release a series in North America simultaneously or almost-simultaneously to Japanese releases AND with cheaper price. They'll lose all domestic market then.

Seeing posts after posts of BVUSA bashing about their pricing policies, I'd be confident to say that most American anime fans would rather wait more time and sacrifice audio/video quality in exchange of lower price per episode.

psygremlin wrote:
Not to mention the price of these half-empty disks.

Not half-empty. Those are DVD-5 with higher bit rates, which means better audio/video quality.

OT: Seeing your avatar, psygremlin, you might want to check out this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous - is Bandai Visual completely oblivious to the rest of the R1 market or something? To license such niche shows and jack up the price is only a set up for failuare.

The reverse import argument seems a load of BS to me. Don't distribute to sellers who ship to the markets you don't want buying your DVDs or set up a special agreement. BV could work around that issue if they really wanted - what they're really doing is jacking up the prices to milk the product.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
True Tears sounded like it was right up my alley, for I so love hopping on the drama-llama and taking a long ride, but then I got to the part about the price and went: Shocked.

Same thing, I really like True Tears, and Shinofumi is a great show too. I started reading and got to the 7 DVD part, then my mind started spinning over the fact that they're both 13 week shows. Then I hit the price tag Sad

I really wish they would just take a risk with one of the 13 week shows, license it to FUNimation, and let them put episodes up on iTunes a couple days after they air for 2 bucks an episode. Then just see what happens. I imagine re-importation won't be too much worse, Japanese that buy American iTunes cards probably aren't much less likely to Bittorrent our fansubs anyway.

It makes me wonder at $26 vs $270 I would imagine that they could boost sales by 10x, and you would still get people who would buy a box set after buying all the iTunes episodes! Especially for something like True Tears which would look amazing on Blu-ray.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
The reverse import argument seems a load of BS to me. Don't distribute to sellers who ship to the markets you don't want buying your DVDs or set up a special agreement.

And agent services will work around those. Ever tried to auction something from Yahoo! Japan or Rakuten with "seller will not ship internationally" label? Agent services can work around those, and if BVUSA or anyone else releases DVD in North America on the same day with LOWER prices, there will be agents working for Japanese customers.

Someone should forward threads like this one to higher-ups at BVUSA and let them know that some habits of American customers simply can't be changed, similar to having "ANAL" on manga cover is unacceptable to American bookstores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
This is ridiculous - is Bandai Visual completely oblivious to the rest of the R1 market or something? To license such niche shows and jack up the price is only a set up for failuare.
Were ADV and Geneon USA completely oblivious to the R1 market? They both licensed niche titles, they both did dubs, and both kept the prices fairly low, especially ADV. Now take a good look who's closing shop. Obviously their business practices have failed.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Someone should forward threads like this one to higher-ups at BVUSA and let them know that some habits of American customers simply can't be changed, similar to having "ANAL" on manga cover is unacceptable to American bookstores.

I was thinking the same thing, most of the people here at ANN are very DVD friendly and would much sooner buy DVD's than get their anime illegally. Also most of them are pretty hardcore fans that have no problem spending money on their hobby. But when even in a forum like this the majority of people seem to be in agreement about the ridiculous nature of this pricing structure, you can pretty much bet on your average anime consumer not being interested either. Not one person yet has stepped up and said they will be willing to pay this kind of price in order to get the anime they want that early, and if that is the case in a forum like this, I have a feeling this experiment is sure to fail in the marketplace. I hope they do a bit of market research before following through with this, so they don't waste everyone's time, and their own money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
Not one person yet has stepped up and said they will be willing to pay this kind of price in order to get the anime they want that early

I would, if I had the same level of average income as Japan or US. In fact the prices of most of my collections are much more expensive than US releases if you weighted them with income and living expenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8