• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
This is outrageous. Consumers do have control over this and hopefully the majority of us would have the sense to show Bandai Visual that this crap doesn't work by simply not picking up the title and denying them any revenue. BS begets BS.
Ishantil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
A few things to think about, after having read most of this forum.

In America, most shows are on network television. Usually, people are paying nothing if they are getting it off air, or a cable bill to get the content. This means they are paying a single montly price to watch anything they want on a non-premium channel (like HBO or something). Often HD channels are included in basic cable pricing lineups. They certainly are in the Verizon FIOS TV I just signed up for.

In Japan, anime is much the the same. Anime appears on boadcast, cable, and satellite channels. Often in widescreen 16x9 or 720p! When Japanese consumers buy anime, they've already had the chance to watch them as the come out. Yes they may be paying for fairly expensive satellite or cable, but is that so different from Americans watching House?

This is an important distiction with the R1 audiance. American entertainment companies know that people are not going to pay 30 bucks for 4 episodes of something they watched on broadcast TV that's probably being re-run next season. Add in the fact that a considerable portion of them Tivo everything and are fast forwarding through comercials, and you get a cheap one season box set. And they sell like hotcakes.

Despite this, the norm for anime is about 4 episodes for $29.99 on DVD. This is actually unreasable by current TV standards considering you can buy a TV season box set for $40-60. But anime is a niche market commodity like Star Trek box sets are (check out the prices on those!). I'm willing to shell out $30 for a single DVD with 4 episodes on it, because I love anime. But I start getting annoyed when it's $30 for three episodes, which is why I've largely abandoned anything by Viz Entertainment.

I have a Playstation 3, and a good job, but that doesn't mean I want to set my money on fire. I'd be perfectly willing to pay $39.99 for four episodes. But it would have to be on Blu-ray in 720p, the sound mix would have to be stellar, and the packaging and extras would need to be top-notch.

When fansubs are higher resolution in H264 than a DVD is in 480p, it makes you wonder doesn't it? Sure, the codec transfer for a DVD is going to be lots cleaner. But the resolution is still only 720x480. And fansubs are often in 1280x720. Something's missing here.

Another thing is my personal belief in the superiority of fan subtitle quality. Block Arial with English only without kareoke? Please. For someone who is studying Japanese like I am, fansubs are superior in almost every way. Despite what Zac always says about "top-notch translations" and whatnot, I find mistakes in DVD subtitles all the time. Add in the fact that there are fansubs available that have Japanese text and kareoke, colored subtitles (I love hair matching subs!), and a high quality digital release which is usually at least DVD resolution and you've got a highly competitive product that's being given away for free.

So let's take a look at the overall issues here:
1. Someone is giving your away your product for free
2. They are encoding it at comparable resolution
3. They are subbing it faster (sometimes within 24 hours)
4. The quality of the translations is almost professional quality in many cases (yes, you can argue this both ways)
5. The actual quality of the medium they are using allows for much better options when it comes to subtitles, such as coloring, text, positioning, Japanese language support, and font selection
6. They are doing this all at risk, legally
7. They do it all for free, with their own free time

Sounds to me like you ought to hire those guys. Pay them $1 a download, and sell the downloads over bit torrent for $3.99. Because you aren't going to compete with them.

Yet, I love the anime industry and I buy DVDs constantly. Because I want them to succeed, and make more of the things I love. But there are limits. Japanese and American (and other R1 locales) are different markets. And when you haven't had a chance to watch it on TV, it's a lot harder to justify blind-buying something at $20 for a 24 minute episodes, don't you think?

So to me, paying $40 for 2 episodes is lunacy. Even on Blu-ray.
ComaDivine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
It's understandable that anime is a niche market and all, but as a consumer I simply can't justify paying Bandai Visual's prices. As a college student with very little expendable income, any entertainment I invest in needs to hold significant value. A few weeks ago I dropped by my favorite indie music store and picked up Paprika and Ratatoullie for $20 each. These are exceptional examples of recent Japanese and American animation, and I can get them for a fraction of the price of anything that BVUSA is offering.

My year long Netflix subscription costs me about half of what I would need to shell out for five hours worth of Shigfumi or True Tears, and is a perfectly legal alternative to doing something as stupid as cutting down on my study and leisure time so I can spend more hours on a shitty job to support a habit of buying absurdly priced and mediocre entertainment.

At its best anime can be quite artistic, but in the end its really just entertainment, not inherently superior to other forms. I find it ironic that I can buy a season pass at a good ski resort and indulge in a rather expensive outdoor sport during my weekends for the same price as a single season of BVUSA anime. (exempting gas and cheap hostel lodging, that is.)

It guess it really just boils down to me not being that big of an anime fan, not relevant to BVUSA's niche marketing strategy.
msevigny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Ishantil wrote:
A few things to think about, after having read most of this forum.

In America, most shows are on network television. Usually, people are paying nothing if they are getting it off air, or a cable bill to get the content. This means they are paying a single montly price to watch anything they want on a non-premium channel (like HBO or something). Often HD channels are included in basic cable pricing lineups. They certainly are in the Verizon FIOS TV I just signed up for.

In Japan, anime is much the the same. Anime appears on boadcast, cable, and satellite channels. Often in widescreen 16x9 or 720p! When Japanese consumers buy anime, they've already had the chance to watch them as the come out. Yes they may be paying for fairly expensive satellite or cable, but is that so different from Americans watching House?

This is an important distiction with the R1 audiance. American entertainment companies know that people are not going to pay 30 bucks for 4 episodes of something they watched on broadcast TV that's probably being re-run next season. Add in the fact that a considerable portion of them Tivo everything and are fast forwarding through comercials, and you get a cheap one season box set. And they sell like hotcakes.

Despite this, the norm for anime is about 4 episodes for $29.99 on DVD. This is actually unreasable by current TV standards considering you can buy a TV season box set for $40-60. But anime is a niche market commodity like Star Trek box sets are (check out the prices on those!). I'm willing to shell out $30 for a single DVD with 4 episodes on it, because I love anime. But I start getting annoyed when it's $30 for three episodes, which is why I've largely abandoned anything by Viz Entertainment.

Star Trek box sets aren't expensive because they're niche, they're expensive because Paramount knows that Star Trek nerds will pay exorbitant prices for their product. Fox did the same thing with the X-Files sets, which I believe were ~$120 a season (at least they were in Canada when they came out).

I don't think your broadcast argument holds, either. The people who buy DVD box sets are either a) fans who want to support and rewatch the show and b) people who lacked time or interest or access to the show on broadcast run, but picked up the box set after strong word of mouth. Neither of those groups buys that box set without the broadcast run.

Anime needs word of mouth too. In Japan, the show is on broadcast TV (or satellite, or whatever). In America, it's not, and the problem is that fans are now being asked to spend upwards of 20 dollars per episode on a show that has not finished airing in Japan, and that they cannot sample beforehand.

This is what I think is happening: BV sees the inevitable--they're not going to get rid of fansubs, even if they tried. They're also never going to jeopardize the Japanese business model with cheap, quickly-produced reverse-imports. Instead they're focusing on an extremely narrow target market (mostly people who would be importing from Japan otherwise), at a price point so high that they only need to sell a very small number of units to break even. Everyone else can fudge right off--they can watch the fansubs or whatever, but they're not getting any free junk, and they were probably going to download it anyways. In fact, the fansubbers are actually good for business--they help provide the word of mouth BV needs. BV breaks even, the hardcore fans get their pencil boards, and everyone else downloads.

Of course some people don't LIKE fansubs, and they seem to ignore that by monetizing digital distribution they could make more money than DVDs ever will in North America. But it's their business, and if the Japanese company executives want to continue being regressive protectionist morons and give up maximizing profits to protect their dwindling Japanese core market, so be it.
Lum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in buying.. if they were a bit cheaper. The big difference I think is economy.. With everything in America being so expensive (Gas is generally up to over $3.00 a gallon now.) and good work being hard to find. I don't think they'll sell very much. It's just not affordable for america. I do feel sorry that so many people pirate anime these days but I don't see how this would help. I would LOVE to be able to afford that kind of stuff, if that's the case, someone point me to an easy to find high paying job. =p Hell, being young in america I find it gets hard enough just to make ends meet, while still enjoying hobbies here and there.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
msevigny wrote:
This is what I think is happening: BV sees the inevitable--they're not going to get rid of fansubs, even if they tried. They're also never going to jeopardize the Japanese business model with cheap, quickly-produced reverse-imports. Instead they're focusing on an extremely narrow target market (mostly people who would be importing from Japan otherwise), at a price point so high that they only need to sell a very small number of units to break even. Everyone else can fudge right off--they can watch the fansubs or whatever, but they're not getting any free junk, and they were probably going to download it anyways. In fact, the fansubbers are actually good for business--they help provide the word of mouth BV needs. BV breaks even, the hardcore fans get their pencil boards, and everyone else downloads.

Of course some people don't LIKE fansubs, and they seem to ignore that by monetizing digital distribution they could make more money than DVDs ever will in North America. But it's their business, and if the Japanese company executives want to continue being regressive protectionist morons and give up maximizing profits to protect their dwindling Japanese core market, so be it.

Actually, that makes more sense. Bandai Visual is doing nothing more than repackaging the same release in Japan with a few extras (English subs and literature) for the North American release and targeting only the very small few that they know will have bought a Japanese import anyway. The release was not intended for a larger group of viewers who watch fansubs and would have bought the R1 release had the pricing been standard or reasonable for R1 releases.

So accoring to that theory, we've got license to keep downloading the fansubs as the release was not intended for the general North American anime market to begin with, but just an even smaller niche of that niche.

Last edited by khryoleoz on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Faraz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, $20 per 20 minute episode. What a wonderful price plan. They should take a good hard look to the state and pricing of entertainment products in North America before they come up with idiotic pricings. One of the main reasons anime hasn't been able to break into mainstream is the fact that the North American audience is not interested in purchasing TV shows on DVD 2 to 4 episode at a time.

The only way they can sell in episodic format would be over something like iTunes and even then for no more than the going rate of $2 per episode. Until they start offering full seasons and better pricing anime will stay as niche as it currently is and no one will get anywhere.

Seriously, this sort of move pushes people towards fansubs. You shouldn't expect loyalty if you don't show your audience respect. This is going to hurt them bad in regards to their fight against fansubs.
Lum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, for the most part, I've NEVER had a problem with anime pricing. Heck, I even bought tons of VHS back in the day when I first got into anime. But still considering all that, I don't see myself having any need to purchase these releases. These days especially, anime is SO amazingly cheap which is why I wonder WTF people are thinking when they justify pirating because anime is too expensive. However, this is a special case, this IS too expensive. Razz
Ishantil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
msevigny wrote:

Star Trek box sets aren't expensive because they're niche, they're expensive because Paramount knows that Star Trek nerds will pay exorbitant prices for their product. Fox did the same thing with the X-Files sets, which I believe were ~$120 a season (at least they were in Canada when they came out).

I don't think your broadcast argument holds, either. The people who buy DVD box sets are either a) fans who want to support and rewatch the show and b) people who lacked time or interest or access to the show on broadcast run, but picked up the box set after strong word of mouth. Neither of those groups buys that box set without the broadcast run.

Anime needs word of mouth too. In Japan, the show is on broadcast TV (or satellite, or whatever). In America, it's not, and the problem is that fans are now being asked to spend upwards of 20 dollars per episode on a show that has not finished airing in Japan, and that they cannot sample beforehand.

You make some good points. Thanks for replying.

In actuality, your Star Trek and X-files explanation is exactly what I'm talking about with the Japanese hardcore market. They are the exact same way. They are willing to pay top-yen for the products they want, even if they know they aren't worth it, technically. It's a lot like buying a luxary car. You know that the Honda down the street is nearly the same thing, but it doesn't have the Acura name on it. The hardcore Japanese fans are willing to pay through the nose for thier pencilboards, mini-posters, and two episodes.

Simply put, Americans aren't generally willing to pay the same prices. This why why there is a lot of backlash to the pricing structure. We're used to 30 bucks for 4 eps. Also, American culture emphasisizes getting a good deal. Take a look at your local Wal-mart for a good example.

The problem I see with your argument about them barely breaking even is it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. A business is all about making money. Thus, it is in their best interest to sell as many DVDs (or squeaky toys or whatever) at a price point that brings in the most volume. Simple economics. Balance of price to volume. A company will usually tend towards maximizing this ratio, or they will eventually fail.

However, the two markets are very dissimilar. And I don't think that the Japanese companies at large really get that. Japanese business works in a very different way. The customer loyalty and small fringe of hardcore fans is a very different market in Japan than it is in most R1 countries. Moe sells directly to them (and admittedly, often me, hehe).

To continue, Japanese companies often see fansubs as a direct threat to their marketshare in the United States, just as ADV Films and the rest do. And that makes sense to them. And in a certain light, it does. A quanifiyable item (sales) versus a non-quantifyable item (word of mouth).

But what I don't think that they get is this: anime fansubs have basically become Japanese TV for those of us who cannot understand Japanese. If you think about it, it's basically true. We're getting the same thing the Japanese do, except it's been processed for free for us, so we can understand it. No one is making money on fansubs. In fact, it's probably costing a decent amount. Someone has to pay for hosting for a website, do the work, run an IRC channel, etc. All of that is done at a loss. So it's mainly out of love for the medium, rather than hatred for the industry.

The only major differences is....no Japanese companies are making money since none of the ads are shown for one. Nor are the ads designed for our audiance. Not to mention direct subscriptions to certain television stations and whatnot.

Again, thanks for your reply. I look forward to continued debate. Smile
msevigny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I misconstrued your argument about niches. I thought you meant costs were higher because it was a niche show or something, and not just that the fanbase was more willing to get fleeced.

Ishantil wrote:

The problem I see with your argument about them barely breaking even is it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. A business is all about making money. Thus, it is in their best interest to sell as many DVDs (or squeaky toys or whatever) at a price point that brings in the most volume. Simple economics. Balance of price to volume. A company will usually tend towards maximizing this ratio, or they will eventually fail.

You're right, it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. And they're not maximizing that ratio. And they ARE going to fail, eventually. It won't be because the NA market isn't profitable. It'll be because the Japanese executives didn't understand that they're going about things backwards. If anything changes in either country, it'll be the Japanese looking for more American-style pricing options (especially for shows with more mainstream appeal). Their Japan-centric view of their business is going to kill them.

Think about it--which market, US or Japan, do you see growing more in the next ten years? What platform is the big money going to be in in ten years, hard media or digital distribution?
Ishantil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
msevigny wrote:
I misconstrued your argument about niches. I thought you meant costs were higher because it was a niche show or something, and not just that the fanbase was more willing to get fleeced.

You got it. Fans are crazy. Anime fans included Smile

msevigny wrote:

You're right, it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. And they're not maximizing that ratio. And they ARE going to fail, eventually. It won't be because the NA market isn't profitable. It'll be because the Japanese executives didn't understand that they're going about things backwards. If anything changes in either country, it'll be the Japanese looking for more American-style pricing options (especially for shows with more mainstream appeal). Their Japan-centric view of their business is going to kill them.

This is pretty much my view. There will be a shakeup in the market. Those who adapt, learn, and change will continue to be profitable. Those who do not will go the way of Geneon.

No matter what happens, fansubs will likely continue. Even if they are pushed into encrypted IRC channels with encrypted distribution nodes.

msevigny wrote:

Think about it--which market, US or Japan, do you see growing more in the next ten years? What platform is the big money going to be in in ten years, hard media or digital distribution?

I assme you are implying that digital downloads are the way of the future. As bandwidth increases, producing media makes less sense. When the times comes and the user can download the 4.5 GB disc in an hour or less, you'll probably see a massive shift in distribution. You download your "DVD" lock, stock, and two smoking barrels, and print it yourself. Media label images, and case artwork included! I see this method being set up right beside traditional discs, and eventually supplanting it. But it's Teh Future, so who knows?

But consumers are funny people. Many of them like to hold something in their hand when they buy something. There is a certain disconnect between buying something, and digital "untouchable" media.
Lum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those I must have it in my hand people. I don't want to purchase downloads. It's a collecting mentality I guess. Plus, I don't trust computers or what have you so I don't usually feel like I "officially own" something if I bought it digitally. If anything, a kind of "burn on demand" anime would be more for me and that way they wouldn't make more than they sell, Kinda like what they're IA is doing. Otherwise though, I need my physical copies. :p
Faraz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much the exact opposite of you. I never buy any DVD because I never watch anything (and I mean anything) more than once. I watch movies in theatres and have Movie Central for the onces that I haven't watched. There's no such outlet available for anime (save for few titles that become available in my local Rogers store or the few channels that show some anime) so I fill that void by watching fansubs.

My dream is a day when TV channels become available that show subtitled version of whatever is shown on Japanese TV a few days afterwards. I watch what I want and the companies make money through subscriptions and advertising. Everyone's now happy.

Heck, I tried the Anime Network channel that was available for a while (was it ADV or funimation that did that) but I had to cancel due to their crappy and old lineup and rampant visual gliches. Afterwards I subscribed to both Razor and G4TechTV for their anime lineup which seems to be drying up now.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
WOW @ these prices. 2 episodes for $40? Are you serious. a 3 disc blu-ray set for $150? Are these typos? Shigofumi is a great show but it certainly isn't worth $20 an episode. Its a real shame for True Tears. $30 an episode, and then $20. And its only for DVD quality. The fansubs are in HD for crying out loud. You're actually downgrading yourself by buying it.

Anime companies still seem to think that the best method is to sell a small amount at crazy high prices. LOL, this isn't a Ferrari or some other hyper-luxury item. Its a dag gum cartoon dvd. I think they'd sell WAY more copies and probably make way more money if they dropped the price down to something reasonable. Its simple supply and demand.

Or do the Death Note thing and sell downloads for $2 each. I bought up all of those even though I already had the fansubs. The cheap price was the sole factor. I wish they'd put these two shows up for that price. I really like both of them. I'd still get the fansubs since True Tears (and death note) both had HD broadcasts, but at least they'd get something. at $20 and $30 a pop I don't think they'll be getting a whole lot of anything.
Ishantil wrote:

I assme you are implying that digital downloads are the way of the future. As bandwidth increases, producing media makes less sense. When the times comes and the user can download the 4.5 GB disc in an hour or less, you'll probably see a massive shift in distribution.

You really don't need 4.5 gigs to download DVD quality. 1) DVD uses a very archaic compression format. Its MP2 and we're at MP4 part 10 now so that should give you a hint. This was cutting edge back in the mid 90s but now its just dated.

You can get a HD fansubs (Gundam 00, True Tears, Ghost Hound, Dennou Coil come to mind) that look hella better than any anime on DVD that I own. Even with upscaling these downloads just look miles and miles past DVD and its file is lless than 400 megs 720p image w/5.1 sound. Of course, they use the newest codecs rather than something that was cutting edge over a decade ago so.
msevigny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Ishantil wrote:

But consumers are funny people. Many of them like to hold something in their hand when they buy something. There is a certain disconnect between buying something, and digital "untouchable" media.

True, and sometimes I'm one of those people. I have lots of DVDs on my shelves. But I don't need or want EVERY show I watch on DVD. Ignoring the profit potential of digital TV is not only ignorant, it's irresponsible to shareholders. There's a big audience out there, and even if you account for piracy, at two bucks an episode (or two-fifty or even three) they'd more than make back the costs of taking their subs and selling them on iTunes or wherever.

Will that hurt DVD sales? Well, not at the prices they're charging--like we've discussed, these are a small market segment that wants a nicely-packaged physical product and doesn't really care about price. I'm almost tempted to register at animeondvd and see if they'll let me start a topic with a poll so I can test this. I imagine the overwhelming majority of the people there willing to pay for True Tears would shun a cheaper download released a month later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8