• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
You wouldn't characterize their various program shutdowns, ending Newtype USA and other activities as "signs of trouble?"

Those looked more like periodic trimming of unprofitable/unfeasible programs to me. Geneon, OTOH, was fairly widely-known to be having financial issues for quite a while before their collapse, hence the deal they initially cut with ADV. There's been nothing of that degree in the past few months.

Quote:
And ADV stays silent of course.

And what obligates them to comment if this is still a developing situation? Besides, anime companies have traditionally been very tight-lipped about financial issues (except when bragging), so I don't see why this lack of comment should surprise anyone.

Look, I'm concerned about the status of various ADV titles on this list, too; Kurau Phantom Memory's final volume is due out in only a couple of weeks, after all, and there are a few other current and upcoming ADV titles I'm either following or interested in. Panicking does nothing except stir up trouble, though.

I know patience isn't a virtue online, but it's required here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
http://www.advfilms.co.uk/ Is just a blank screen with two Azumanga banners. But I won't speculate.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
And yet companies like Bandai Visual USA whose releases are mainly sub-only still exist.

I hope and pray ADV works this out, because they own a LOT of licenses to many different anime.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And what obligates them to comment if this is still a developing situation? Besides, anime companies have traditionally been very tight-lipped about financial issues (except when bragging), so I don't see why this lack of comment should surprise anyone.

Nothing obligates them to comment but as a consumer I would have more faith in them if they did comment. The fact that they are not commenting makes me believe that there is a problem. And since I already perceive there is a problem, I would rather ADV acknowledge this and tell me that they are doing their best to solve it. This silence makes me lose more faith in ADV than the perceived problem.

Luckily I am not in the middle of collecting any ADV titles but I was really looking forward to Gurren Lagann. Sad

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we still don't know much of anything real. If the document has any truth to it, it would seem that is has something to do with the Sojitz Corporation and with how most of their new licenses were made. We don't know the seriousness of the problem at all. It could be something easily resolvable (ex. a general contract typo that needs to be amended for all these recent contracts) or something worse like Sojitz backing out of financing. With the info we got its impossible to say how severe it is. It's a wait and see and people shouldn't get all crazy and cancel pre-orders/swear off ADV forever unless they want to make the situation even worse and bring about worst case scenarios.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of thinking they probably should have shut down their anime club service awhile ago-like at least when they backed out of the Geneon deal. What it looks like now is maybe the Geneon thing made them re-think their business practices & they've been holding tons of re-org meeting deciding what goes. The Anime Network & Newtype they may have been bound by contracts to run to a certain date. I know I got my the 2/1 Newtype & nowhere on the cover does it indicate it is the last issue (Haven't cracked it open yet. Usually do as soon as I get it, but it's sort of depressing.) It does look thinner though the page count is the same, so maybe cheaper paper?
I also received a notice to renew my subscription to Newytpe postmarked 1/19 with no mention it is converting into another zine. It encourages me to re-subscribe so I don't miss out on the latest in Japan which suggests they hope I haven't heard & will re-susbcribe to the new zine.

Worst case-the sky is falling & ADV is going away

Best case-they're keeping their mouths shut. Someone once said there's no such thing as bad publicity or something like that. Their name is in the news. Maybe some people will rush out & buy their product. Then they say something like-sorry, folks, our site broke.

Maybe the delay on a comment is they are finally dumping their on-line store & some other stuff. Maybe they're re-examining their licenses & deciding to dump some like Tactics a few yrs ago, though I doubt they'd do it with on-going titles like Red Garden. Maybe a bunch of their licenses are expiring & that's the reason for the site update. Maybe they're looking at going box-sets instead of individual dvds (which sucks when you're in the middle of the box so you have to re-buy the whole thing. Thank god my Tactics 5 is on it's way to me finally considering I pre-ordered it last March or April. And, no, they never said squat about what happened. I even e-mailed the company over it) At least I got to finish it, unlike Bobobo, BTx, Cyborg 009, Shonen Onmyoji, Story of Saiunkoku & Kyo Kara Maoh (2 dvds to go. Grrr)

I'm sure ADV is well aware of the commotion they're causing

Patience is a virtue. We'll have an answer sometime this century.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Time to keep fingers crossed, but this is going to hurt if it's true. Losing 3 active titles to Geneon was bad, but I'm going to lose 8 titles to ADV.

Well, that's enough self pity. I'd rather see ADV pull through for the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this article is any different than what we already knew by the end of the last article's discussion thread; it's just a summary of everything that's been learned up to this point. The situation's still exactly the same as it was yesterday, and we still don't have nearly enough information to do anything other than idly speculate.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
http://www.advfilms.co.uk/ Is just a blank screen with two Azumanga banners. But I won't speculate.

There's an IIS error message too:
Quote:
error '80029c84'
Circular dependency between types/modules.
/index.asp, line 38

which kind of suggests some sort of IT screwup, but I guess it's possible they may have broken it intentionally (or some about-to-be-ex-employee vandalised it).

Last edited by angel_lover on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Nothing obligates them to comment but as a consumer I would have more faith in them if they did comment.

And yet if they are still trying to work something out with Sojitz/ARM then company then actually saying anything publicly could well cause those Japanese companies to lose faith with them right in the middle of any continuing negotiations.

Japanese companies don't air their dirty laundry like that.

Of course ADV could have avoided much trouble had they not done something as bizarrely cryptic as removing titles from their website, which was definitely a spectacularly bad PR move.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
WEKS wrote:
It's over, AVD is finished.

Nothing like an alarmist and unfounded statement to get the thread going.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It seems a little bizarre to me that they actually removed the items from their store (without comment), especially since most are new titles. If you're going to do that, I think you should at least tell your consumers that you're removing titles pending negotiating or something. Or temporarily close the store or suspend certain sales.

I mean, just by removing the titles with no explanation they're making a "comment."
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I still think I might slip over to CDJapan and buy the R2s for Kanon, just in case. That's the only current ADV release I want, but don't already have.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course ADV could have avoided much trouble had they not done something as bizarrely cryptic as removing titles from their website, which was definitely a spectacularly bad PR move.

I don't think we can even say that it was dictated by PR at this point. Something may have happened and someone demanded they take it down until the situation was resolved. The point of this entire thing is that we just don't know.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I want to give them monies, but I don'ts want to buy the Kannons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4