• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

So then I guess my question is- how did they loose lisences on shows they hadn't even finished putting out yet? Does that mean they sat on the lisence far too long or that the Japanese gave them an impossible amount of time?

That's a good question, and the short answer is that no one knows. But a bit of thinking narrows down the possibilities:

1. They violated the terms of the license agreement somehow.
2. They missed payments.
3. They never actually held the rights in the first place, and whoever DID hold the rights stopped giving them permission to produce.

The fact that nearly every license they have in the past 2 years is effected rules out #1 and #2, so the only real option is number 3. This would make sense if the ARM corporation mentioned in the letter was the real license holder.

The scenario I suspect goes like this: Sojitz set up ARM to help ADV license titles when they invested in ADV. For some reason, the way things worked was that ARM would license the titles themselves, and then ADV would produce and distribute the titles, since ARM was a partner through Sojitz. But when Sojitz and ADV had a falling out/dispute over something, ARM decided to withhold all the shows it licensed for ADV.

Let me make a metaphore: Say you have a really good friend. You make a deal with your friend where you'll buy the playstation 3, but your friend buys the games, and then you'll let your friend over to your house to play them. But one day you get in a big fight with your friend and he/she doesn't want to come over anymore, so you can't play any of the games, because technically your friend owns them all.
So you call your friend, offer to pay him for some of the games that you wanted, since your friend doesn't even have a playstation and they're useless to him/her, but your friend says they'll sell them for a hundregagillion dollars and is generally being a total ass about it, so you're pretty much f*cked.

And that's what's happened to ADV, kinda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8