• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
I bet a lot of people are disappointed that they now don't have an excuse to download the fansub and still have to buy the R1 DVD's.

Gutted you cheapskates.

And there are a lot of people relieved that 5cm/s and TTGL will actually end up on their shelves.

Although I'm certainly scared of buying it a pack at a time now.

Although I'll probably not believe in ADV, instead I'll believe in Chris Orr who believes in ADV.

I'm so happy I'll get to buy that series still... hopefully.
Particually happy with this one. Can't wait for it to be released. I would have also been gutted if the last volume of Ah My Goddess FOF had not made it to release.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
While this may ease some tensions, the fact that ADV is suffering some financial issues is still unsettling to me. In light of all the trouble we've been hearing, i.e. Geneon, this small, unrevealing, statement isn't making me feel any better.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While we can't go into any detail at this time, please know that ADV is working through a few short-term challenges and fully intends to continue our releases.

The best intentions of mice and men...

While it is good to hear something from them, I will be waiting for a more complete answer before I breathe a sigh of relief. Short-term challenges can lead to long-term disasters, and till they say they are in the blue, then that means they are in the clouds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
this small, unrevealing, statement isn't making me feel any better.

Dargonxtc wrote:
I will be waiting for a more complete answer before I breathe a sigh of relief.

What bellyachers we all are.

Some pages disappear from ADV's website and within three hours we're all whipping eachother into a frenzy about how ADV is done for, trying to encourage eachother not to buy anime DVDs anymore.

A little good news comes through, with ADV pledging that they are not in-fact done for, and that they pledge themselves to continue delivering the things we want to us, and it's of no persuasive value to us.

We'll take the gloom and despair to wallow in instead, please.

For shame, you nervous nellies.
Mushroom Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
On a brighter note, some of us in Houston were sad when ADV had canceled the last two Tuesday nite anime showings at Alamo Drafthouse with no explanation (although those two titles they were showing are on the list of currently removed titles), but its back to normal next week Very Happy : http://www.drafthouse.com/westoaks/
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Whew - thats a relief... I hope it also means that past discs will still be produced too - I had 20 titles from ADV to get - and about 4 on that list that I had recently gotten either most or all of...

At least I am down to only 3 series left to get from Geneon before all the discs dissapear from store shelves...
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
I bet alot of people are dissapointed that they now don't have an excuse to download the fansub and still have to buy the R1 DVD's.

Gutted you cheapskates.

Lol someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I really don't think there are many that think that way. If they really thought anything like that they probably would just get the fansubs regardless.

As for me this is really good news, because I just got my volume 2 + box for Kanon and it would be pretty lonely looking with just the first 2 volumes in it. And the spine of the box is just amazing looking.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
we're all whipping eachother into a frenzy about how ADV is done for
I am not in a frenzy.
Quote:
trying to encourage eachother not to buy anime DVDs anymore.
Please link me to where I said that once, ever.

Quote:
A little good news comes through
I said I was glad to hear it.

Quote:
with ADV pledging that they are not in-fact done for, and that they pledge themselves to continue delivering the things we want to us, and it's of no persuasive value to us.
Not none, just little. Really, what did they say? "We're having trouble we will try to keep releasing anime". Thats great for you to focus on the releasing anime part, but you forgot the trouble part. They didn't say the trouble was over, in fact they said they were in the midst of it.

Please don't read things out of context in the future. Or at the very least when you quote a sentence try reading the one right after it to gain context.

And I haven't critized you for looking through your rose tinted glasses and saying everything is honky dory. In fact I think it's great, I'm happy for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank god! Man, that was a scary episode right there. I'm so glad that they aren't pulling a Geneon on us. Granted, most anime I buy is ADV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gomfedj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
if you all want another view on what is being said take a look here...

http://animecornerstore.blogspot.com/

pretty much the same as ANN was told just different source (i assume) though it does reference the possiblity of a few late street dates...

personal opinion sounds like ADV's partnership fell apart with Sojitz's "ARM" corporationg, and perhaps ADV has seen this coming for awhile, that might expalin why there have been so many cuts recently at ADV... they were working towards the possiblity of having to fund a lot of those licenses themselves, or perhaps with another 3rd party that wasn't able to put up as much funding...

^^^ just a guess/personal opinion...
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping that ADV's issues are successfully resolved and I'm able to complete Pumpkin Scissors, Welcome to the NHK, and Kanon, as well as add Gurren Lagann to my collection.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness for the statement, now we can all be at ease.
feytaline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who realizes that statement said absolutely nothing?

Short term difficulties? Okay, like what? Their version of 'short term difficulties' could be exactly what that screencapped (although now supposedly untrue) article said--licensing issues. Their version of 'short term' could be my version of long term--months or years.

Yes, it's nice that words came out of ADV, but it would be even nicer if they had some substance to them other than "Uh, wait, we're working on it and we'll get back to you once we kind of figure this thing out..."

Believe me, it is not my intention to whip up that panic again, but be a little more discerning. Don't just 'relax' and assume everything's just peachy until we get those promised details. We still don't know what's going on. It isn't panic time, but it's not relax on the beach time, either.

... and for heaven's sakes please don't turn this into another piracy thread while we wait.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:
Am I the only person who realizes that statement said absolutely nothing?

Yes you would be the only one... because that just isn't true now is it.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:

Although I'll probably not believe in ADV, instead I'll believe in Chris Orr who believes in ADV.

Nice.

Last edited by Sandstar on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8