• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This reminds me of what the British Airways 747 captain said to his passengers when all 4 of his engines shutdown whilst flying through volcanic ash on their way to Indonesia.
Quote:
Goodevening ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. You may be wondering why we seem to be losing altitude at the moment. We are experiencing a small problem with all 4 engines at present and can assure you all is being done to rectify it. Please be calm and follow cabin crew instructions. Enjoy the rest of your flight.
Wink Needless to say they did manage to restart the engines but not until they were about 2000 feet above the water and landed safely at their final destination with the paint scoured off all forward facing surfaces and the windscreen permanently frosted. He had to land as if in a fog.

I'd like to read up on that. Source?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

This one describes a KLM flight that flies through a volcano, then towards the bottom tells of the BA flight in Malaysia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Alright. It's beginning it over. Let's see how the middle will turn out.

I say beginning because ADV is still working on some stuff. The statement the they made FINALLY has done some damage control and assured....I WILL HAVE MY GURREN!!
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This reminds me of what the British Airways 747 captain said to his passengers when all 4 of his engines shutdown whilst flying through volcanic ash on their way to Indonesia.
Quote:
Goodevening ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. You may be wondering why we seem to be losing altitude at the moment. We are experiencing a small problem with all 4 engines at present and can assure you all is being done to rectify it. Please be calm and follow cabin crew instructions. Enjoy the rest of your flight.
Wink Needless to say they did manage to restart the engines but not until they were about 2000 feet above the water and landed safely at their final destination with the paint scoured off all forward facing surfaces and the windscreen permanently frosted. He had to land as if in a fog.

This is getting off-topic, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
i hope that i can still get the last dvd of ah! my goddess and the special
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ADV is working through a few short-term challenges

Ugh! This sounds a lot like what Geneon said at first... before they got greased!

Common ADV! You can pull through! Razz
blodz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
good! I was starting to panic I at least I hope whatever issues they have work out in the end. coz it would be horrible if they end up like geneon.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave, my thoughts exactly.

This new response does not increase my faith in ADVision one bit. What they just said was only the absolute minimal response I could have imagined. If anything it lessens my faith that they will pull through even moreso.

In any case, I'm not interested in arguing whether this statement is reassuring or disheartening. And I'm not interested in arguing whether or not ADVision is going to die or not. No one knows for sure. But at the moment I'd certainly place my bets on them dying. And I'm still not going to buy any of their products such as Gurren-Lagann until they are completed first, even if they do temporarily pull through.

And as dargon said in the earlier thread, I have little sympathy for a company that is so stupid that they licensed a ton of new titles when they were having problems...like a kid in a candy store with no money. Geneon did the exact same thing. A graceful exit from the industry would have earned ADVision my sympathy. But an ungraceful exit only pisses me off.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

This new response does not increase my faith in ADVision one bit. What they just said was only the absolute minimal response I could have imagined. If anything it lessens my faith that they will pull through even moreso.

In any case, I'm not interested in arguing whether this statement is reassuring or disheartening. And I'm not interested in arguing whether or not ADVision is going to die or not. No one knows for sure. But at the moment I'd certainly place my bets on them dying. And I'm still not going to buy any of their products such as Gurren-Lagann until they are completed first, even if they do temporarily pull through.

And as dargon said in the earlier thread, I have little sympathy for a company that is so stupid that they licensed a ton of new titles when they were having problems...like a kid in a candy store with no money. Geneon did the exact same thing. A graceful exit from the industry would have earned ADVision my sympathy. But an ungraceful exit only pisses me off.

Couldn't you pretty much just copy/paste your responses from the old Geneon threads at this point? You seem like you have a very particular and unchanging rhetoric on these matters. "This company doesn't deserve my respect" "I'll never buy anime from this company again if they don't do X Y and Z in exactly that order" etcetera.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
You have a good point. I'm just saying the same things over and over. I'll try to post less in these threads, it's unecessary.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, its nice to hear something. I'm still worried and this doesn't necessarily mean everything is going to be okay, but at least now we have an idea of what the problem is.
tidusora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm awfully scared. I think that there's a possibility that ADV could be crumbling down, and no one wants that happening. I was dissapointed when Geneon fell apart, let's just pray that it doesn't happen to ADV Films. It would make sense, however, that they took down their newer titles. I thought that they would be expensive titles considering their high value in Japan. Maybe they need to take it one step at a time, if this is actually the trouble.

Anime cry The anime industry in America is crumbling. Sad
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

why do you and everyone else assume that this has to deal with money and ADV losing it?

The ICv2 article just says "ADV has suspended certain elements of its former alliance with ARM Corporation, which financed the acquisition of these titles" but nothing about this being a financial matter in the sense that ADV is bleeding cash - only that they're having issues with another company which helps finance licensing.

In fact, everything seems to point towards this being a licensing matter and not a monetary one (though of course we can't know for certain).

The note saying they hope to start distributing the titles again soon just lead credence to the idea that this is a licensing issue in my opinion.

Nothing they're doing makes sense if it's a money issue. If they were going out of business, why only pull new series? If they're cutting costs, why pull new, potentially good selling series?

I'm getting tired of these posts which almost seem to eagerly await ADV's doom or otherwise announce them dead without any reason to do so.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The statement contains nothing substantial at all, except for the subtext which says "We are in deep sh*t."

Calculusman wrote:
why do you and everyone else assume that this has to deal with money and ADV losing it?

[...]

In fact, everything seems to point towards this being a licensing matter and not a monetary one (though of course we can't know for certain).

How should I imagine a licensing matter which is not at the same time a monetary one? Could someone please explain that for me? A scenario which I can understand is, in very simple terms: ADV sends check to Japan, check bounces, Japanese come and take licenses away. But if ADV fulfills their part of the contracts, how can they get into license trouble?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
The statement contains nothing substantial at all, except for the subtext which says "We are in deep sh*t."

Calculusman wrote:

[...]

How should I imagine a licensing matter which is not at the same time a monetary one? Could someone please explain that for me? A scenario which I can understand is, in very simple terms: ADV sends check to Japan, check bounces, Japanese come and take licenses away. But if ADV fulfills their part of the contracts, how can they get into license trouble?

That's easy: ADV never really owned the licenses, ARM did, and when ARM (an "arm" of Sojitz) and ADV got into some argument, ADV suddenly had "licensing" issues. What that argument was about, money, control, profit sharing, etc... we don't (and probably never will) know, but that's what's being negotiated, whatever it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8