• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quirks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I just registered to make this post.

I can't just help but worry about ADV's situation, especially since Rightstuf is having a "super sale" on all the ADV inventory. I don't see how this helps their current challenging situation.
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

That's easy: ADV never really owned the licenses, ARM did, and when ARM (an "arm" of Sojitz) and ADV got into some argument, ADV suddenly had "licensing" issues. What that argument was about, money, control, profit sharing, etc... we don't (and probably never will) know, but that's what's being negotiated, whatever it is.

The speed with which traces of these titles disappeared suggests a contract issue as well. Supposing it is a contract issue, it is probably safer to suspend immediately all distribution of titles in dispute while the contract issues are dealt with, than to run the risk of increasing damages if it ends in a falling out. It might not mean financial trouble at all, except that perhaps ARM had some different understanding of how much money would come to them.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
It's a nice statement, but I'm still a bit worried because of the vaugeness of it. Yes, it was positive; they need a positive statement at this point. Geneon was positive about their situation too... at first. I don't think this is all over yet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
quirks wrote:
I just registered to make this post.

I can't just help but worry about ADV's situation, especially since Rightstuf is having a "super sale" on all the ADV inventory. I don't see how this helps their current challenging situation.

Geneon had plenty of those too, and this is the second time since I've been on this website that I've seen an ADV sale. What is that telling us? Or what does the company want to tell us? Perhaps they're realizing the mistakes right now and therefore are having to pull all those titles, and maybe try and get what they can from the sales, such as the Rightstuf one. While they have at least stated something about their current situation, I myself am not completely reassured that they are out of their current situation yet. The long run is what counts, but they're trying to make progress to make sure that long run doesn't turn out like Geneon.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
For the umpteenth time, the RightStuf sale almost entirely consists of flat-out old single volumes of series that have already received a thinpack release. These disks have been sitting in the site's bargain bin for months; this is RightStuf's way of cleaning house and moving old merchandise. I don't buy for a second that it has anything at all to do with the current situation.

More on-topic, this release does reassure me substantially, as brief as it was. If I had to speculate, I'd say that there was some wrinkle in ADV's deal with these Japanese groups that came up rather quickly, and that ADV was hoping to get the wrinkle resolved just as quickly without anyone noticing. When it took a little bit longer than anticipated, and when fans started going into hysterics, they realized they had to get some sort of statement out there, even if it's all they're legally able to say at the moment. They say they have every intention of continuing to release these titles, so for the moment, I'll take them at their word.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:

I'm getting tired of these posts which almost seem to eagerly await ADV's doom or otherwise announce them dead without any reason to do so.

I'm just saying, with all the news and recent dilemmas involving the anime industry, anything could happen. Yes, we would all love to think that ADV is doing fine, however, we can all see the issues anime is facing right now with internet fansubs and bootlegging at an all time high. Companies are losing tons of money, rather the fanboys deny it or not. I personally don't endorse piracy of any kind, but we have to be open to any outcome.

In regards, I hope ADV comes through successfully.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Wow, my bad. I saw one update but not the second so I didn't see they had in fact issued a statement.

Last edited by Keonyn on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Their problem is so painfully obvious that I can't understand why the rest of you haven't keyed in on it yet: they're saving up for the upcoming Evangelion movie licenses.

Jeez, you people.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping Razz
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a bit of good news / bad news. For now we can assume ADV isn't joining Geneon in anime heaven. On the other hand, if this is licensing issues causing thing to be put on hold, that's a problem. That list of titles includes a lot of ADVs current, upcoming, and recent releases, and it can't just keep selling EVA to make a profit. If these are short term problems in negotiations, no harm, no foul. Long term however could hurt ADV badly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
I am happy that things will work out. I still have several box sets that I want to buy (AIR, Kanon, and Pumpkin Scissors). This still keeps me leery of buying singles however.
koukin74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Instead of posting pointless speculation on the "impending" doom of ADV, we all should be out there BUYING anime. Whether it's a download from a website or a DVD, we need to be supporting these companies as much as possible. The industry is in trouble and we, the consumers and fans, need to stop with the pointless speculation and condemnation and start doing something proactive to divert a larger disaster.

For my part, I intend to continue to purchase volumes for all the series I am currently following from all distributors as they become available. My money keeps the industry that provides me with my preferred form of entertainment alive. I will buy it in whatever form I can get it and I will continue to do so. I will refuse to download episodes of any series whether they are licensed or not since doing so does not encourage the industry to thrive here or abroad. Money does. Money pays salaries, production and distribution costs.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
usagidoshi wrote:
samuelp wrote:

That's easy: ADV never really owned the licenses, ARM did, and when ARM (an "arm" of Sojitz) and ADV got into some argument, ADV suddenly had "licensing" issues. What that argument was about, money, control, profit sharing, etc... we don't (and probably never will) know, but that's what's being negotiated, whatever it is.

The speed with which traces of these titles disappeared suggests a contract issue as well. Supposing it is a contract issue, it is probably safer to suspend immediately all distribution of titles in dispute while the contract issues are dealt with, than to run the risk of increasing damages if it ends in a falling out. It might not mean financial trouble at all, except that perhaps ARM had some different understanding of how much money would come to them.

I'm quoting these to emphasize how much sense they make given the known circumstances. I'll be surprised if the truth of the matter doesn't turn out to be at least close to what's been said in these two posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
usagidoshi wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I'm quoting these to emphasize how much sense they make given the known circumstances. I'll be surprised if the truth of the matter doesn't turn out to be at least close to what's been said in these two posts.

Unfortunately I doubt we might ever learn the truth of the matter. At this point we wait, and some time in the future a statement will be made about the status of the shows that were pulled from the website. All of them could be gone, some of them could be gone, or none of them could be gone. Either ADV will own the licenses for the ones that aren't gone or they won't. Sojitz will either remain a partner or won't. I highly HIGHLY doubt that anyone will ever explain WHAT went wrong publicly, as they have no obligation to reveal what went on in these negotiations. The only way we learn what happens is in the worst case scenario, where there's a complete break. Then ADV might be so pissed as to release a statement placing blame somewhere. Other than that, I don't think it would be wise to publicly tell anyone the specifics.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
At this point we wait, and some time in the future a statement will be made about the status of the shows that were pulled from the website.

And it's that point that I will breath a sigh of relief. Assuming everything works out, that is. But as the statement is now, it only gives a little reassurance. But that's all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mhalador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
It'd be cool to see ADV do mostly a digital download service and provide DVD's through HP's new made to order dvd service.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/25/sony_hp_dvd_mod_service/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8