• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm still a little uneasy about it. Yeah, they paint a nice picture of their problems being resolved quickly, but Geneon shortly before closing said they'd be doing in-house distribution only days before canceling all of their productions and we still don't know what happened to cause that. It's just so hard to trust PR after being hit so hard not so long ago.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Assuming, guessing, and worrying is just needless stress at this point. Just simmer a bit and wait for the results, focusing on it too much is only going to make things tougher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
That's not going to happen, I'm still stressing over Geneon. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Emerje
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
Well, after reading Robert's blog(especially the Update 1/30), I am no longer worried. To celebrate, I'm planning a massive pre-order with 5cm Per Second at the top of the list. Cool
indrik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote
Well, if nothing else, I have to imagine that a bunch of pre-orders would help ADV out right now, and if he worst happens, you won't get charged for them down the road.

I've been thinking too about the big TRSI/ADV sale. If ADV is (like I, and I htink some others, speculated elsewhere) trying to renegotiate their stance with Sovitz (one way or another) it's possible that the TRSI sale could be a way to generate some quick cash from old stock. It's also possible (I would think more likely) that TRSI is doing it independently and already had to have the bills in for that stock, but it's at least a possibility that ADV is trying to generate some cash flow through the sale.

As long as we're still speculating blindly based on no information and a statement that really doesn't say anything.... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Various posters wrote:
ADV must be in big trouble because all their stuff is on sale

By this logic, Christmas is cancelled next year... a month ago, all sorts of decorations were on sale at big, big discounts.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am wrote:
Various posters wrote:
ADV must be in big trouble because all their stuff is on sale

By this logic, Christmas is cancelled next year... a month ago, all sorts of decorations were on sale at big, big discounts.

First Geneon, then ADV, now CHRISTMAS?!

Why must you take everything from me that I love, fansubbers?!!!?!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Because fansubbers think they're helping the community when they're actually killing it.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
quirks wrote:
I just registered to make this post.

I can't just help but worry about ADV's situation, especially since Rightstuf is having a "super sale" on all the ADV inventory. I don't see how this helps their current challenging situation.

Rightstuf could burn those dvds and it wouldn't matter to ADV as they've already bought them and paid rightstuf for them years ago. It's just them cleaning up some old leftover stuff that isn't selling.

As others have said basically every show on that list has a boxset available so this is them doing some spring cleaning and thinning out their leftovers to make room.
chaz-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Because fansubbers think they're helping the community when they're actually killing it.

Perhaps they're doing both. The question is to what extent they do what most.

As for ADV, they certainly know what they're doing so I think we'll see the problem being resolved very soon. I think it's just a matter of time.
stardust462

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
quirks wrote:

I can't just help but worry about ADV's situation, especially since Rightstuf is having a "super sale" on all the ADV inventory. I don't see how this helps their current challenging situation.

Rightstuf could burn those dvds and it wouldn't matter to ADV as they've already bought them and paid rightstuf for them years ago. It's just them cleaning up some old leftover stuff that isn't selling.

As others have said basically every show on that list has a boxset available so this is them doing some spring cleaning and thinning out their leftovers to make room.

Not ALL of ADV's stuff is part of the super sale. None of their newer titles are on that list. Like others said it's single DVDs that TRSI has had for awhile and wants to get rid of. For example, last month I bought two Full Metal Panic DVDs for $8 each in the bargin bin, before this sale came out. Now they are part of this deal. They even say for the sale it's a Select List of anime. Basically stuff that now has a boxset available that's cheaper than buying the discs individually. This shouldn't raise any flags about ADV at all.

As for the issue at hand, I have a bit of concern but I'm not worried that ADV will follow the path of Geneon. I hope it's a reminder to people that we need to buy anime to keep the industry going. Even if you just get a $5 monthly Netflix subscription to watch anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
The more I think about this the more I feel this is the Japanese giving ADV a kick in the groin for walking away from that Geneon deal. I could be wrong, but it's a bit too coincidental that ADV started having all these problems with them shortly there after.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
quirks wrote:

Geneon had plenty of those too, and this is the second time since I've been on this website that I've seen an ADV sale. What is that telling us? Or what does the company want to tell us? Perhaps they're realizing the mistakes right now and therefore are having to pull all those titles, and maybe try and get what they can from the sales, such as the Rightstuf one. While they have at least stated something about their current situation, I myself am not completely reassured that they are out of their current situation yet. The long run is what counts, but they're trying to make progress to make sure that long run doesn't turn out like Geneon.

This is more like the 3rd or 4th ADV sale RightStuf has had. They had 1 or 2 of hte Geneon ones, then ADV jumped in.

IF you subscribe to ADV's updates & get those ads, you are WELL aware they hold their own clearance sales (usually around holidays) where titles go for anywhere from $5 or $10 off a fairly new title to $3 or $4 for stuff that's been collecting dust for a couple yrs. Big dif between ADV's sales at their site & RightStuf's sales is ADV always charged shipping when I ordered from them, Right Stuf is free shipping at $50 & the fact Right Stuf's sale is everything is the same price-$4 or $5. I'm sure part of the logic is to make the 10 or 25, you'll pick up something you're only marginally interested in & they'll move this crap that's been lying around for a couple yrs.
Oh, yeah, ADV used to also give you a "free gift" (Hello Kitty dvds? I want Hello Kitty dvds? I had Knights of the Zodiac in my order & they think their "gift is something I want? Ok, they did send me a Slayers movie. Of course I HAVE all the slayers movies)

ADV's dvds were always drilled or sliced to mark them as returned stock. I can't recall if the Geneon were thus marked.

The sky isn't falling. ADV's just decided a couple yrs ago to allow Right Stuf to hold these sales so maybe more of this backstock they want gone yesterday moves.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The more I think about this the more I feel this is the Japanese giving ADV a kick in the groin for walking away from that Geneon deal. I could be wrong, but it's a bit too coincidental that ADV started having all these problems with them shortly there after.

It's my understanding that Dentsu was the one that walked away from that deal, not ADV. (Unless someone can provide links indicating to the contrary. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

It's my understanding that Dentsu was the one that walked away from that deal, not ADV. (Unless someone can provide links indicating to the contrary. . .)

There was never any concrete public evidence regarding that whole mess one way or the other. If someone had anything at all that came from any sort of official or even reliable source - and I don't mean "gut feelings" from speculating fans, anime blogs or podcasts - then there'd be reason to believe one company walked away before the other, but as it stands, nothing was ever released about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8