• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Dominion Tank Police

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I found it randomly at a Suncoast that was clearing out their inventory. I can't honestly say I enjoyed it. I found it too wacky to have tanks. Hmm... that may actually be good...

either way, I didn't like it. It was a show. That came out to be just a show. It could have been totally awesome, but it failed me.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Dominion Tank Police is currently available on Netflix for Instant Viewing, and seeing as how all Netflix members except the $4.99 get unlimited instant viewing, why not?

I will have to check it out.

Gewürtztraminer
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this one on Encore every now and then. I thought it was pretty good for the time. The girl's hair was brown in it, though. Weird.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
At one point, this was pretty much the only anime series that you could find in any anime-carrying media shop. I still have the VHS series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
I saw it on Sci Fi Channel too, though they did change urine to plasma one time
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
i still cant remember where i saw this, prolly at blockbuster along time ago. watched the sequel and started remembering this one. it might be just me but i like Toni Berry's voice.

actually now that i am remembering, i did rent the VHS over at blockbuster back when it came out, man that was a long time ago.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, being one of the first discs CPM mastered in house, it had the obnoxious "translucent subs" problem. (Utena was the other disc.)
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
One of the better english dubbed animes of the time(even though I normally prefer subs than dubs).

I remember back when it first came out on vhs tape dubbed(1992) and I went to a comic book shop and bought both tapes spent $70.00(including tax). I remember being happy as all hell to be able to buy it, since at that time anime was rare here in the USA, and when you mentioned the word to other people they would be like "anime, what???" and "why do you want to watch a Japanese cartoon?". Or they would just look at you crazy!!!!

At this time anime was only sold at comic book shops(and conventions, if you had time to go to them), Blockbuster video here where I live at did not start renting anime until 1994.

Tank Police was really great in my opinion. If you have not read the manga yet, I recommend that you do.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Ooh...While the immediate viewing on Netflix is tempting, I think I'd like to read the manga before I watch the anime adaptation. Anime made out of Shirow manga tends to be either bad or rushed-feeling, with GitS: SAC being the general exception (although it technically doesn't count).

Sill, boobs and explosions; two of my favorite things in one place. This is definitely on my 'watch' list Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
soulessdarkangel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This anime is a total classic I remember watching it on the Sci-Fi channel and on Max movie channel. I loved it so much I was taping it and years later I find it on dvd for sale. I did buy it and the ova tapes when they were on sale in the store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I caught some of New DTP on Encore Action, and it bored me to sleep on three separate days. Is the original one more interesting?

It depends.

The original DTP....I wouldn't say it kept the spirit of the Manga (and Shirows "Fungus" artwork fetish which can be seen in many of his works), but it came pretty darn close in some respects. BUT, understand that it was made during the 80s/early 90's, so it will have a pretty dated feel to it. The Opening feels pretty dated right off the bat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPHIkqJD9o

It kinda sounds like the last dying breaths of Disco Music. As for the storyline....I think the best way to describe it would be....Think Police Academy with tanks. Imagine Officer Hightower as Cpt. Britean with a serious angry bug.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
ralphmerridew wrote:
IIRC, being one of the first discs CPM mastered in house, it had the obnoxious "translucent subs" problem. (Utena was the other disc.)

Actually, neither of those were authored in-house. CPM didn't start authoring in-house until 2005.

That subtitle font was actually fairly standard on early DVDs. The translucency, not so much, and though everyone I've ever met hates it, it's technically a subjective issue, and therefore I suppose it passed QC.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I caught some of New DTP on Encore Action, and it bored me to sleep on three separate days. Is the original one more interesting?

As I noted in the column, I believe the original DTP is far better. (To be honest, New DTP put me to sleep as well.)

BTW, men get objectified plenty in anime too. I'm of the opinion that only individuals can be demeaned, and as long as it's not a clear dismissal or disregard of an entire gender, then there's no harm done. Leona and the mayor are the two other women in DTP, and both are strong, independent women that easily kick as much ass as their male coworkers, perhaps more.

But I guess some people are offended by anything even remotely sexual. I find that expecting people to deny themselves the visuals of human sexuality is to set oneself up to be terribly disappointed in humanity.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
BTW, men get objectified plenty in anime too.

I object to men being objectified too, why does everyone always think I don't unless I'm on a radical feminist forum?
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
ralphmerridew wrote:

Actually, neither of those were authored in-house. CPM didn't start authoring in-house until 2005.

That subtitle font was actually fairly standard on early DVDs. The translucency, not so much, and though everyone I've ever met hates it, it's technically a subjective issue, and therefore I suppose it passed QC.

Well, I remember hearing that they were going to change something about how they authored discs and then the first two discs had that problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5