• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Funico in the Island of Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
EVERY SINGLE SERIES that airs in Japan every season
... No, they were simply left behind, and possibly not due to licensing issues, though you can't quite count that out, but simply due to them being seemingly-ignored for the season.
Crunchyroll is on the record saying they put in a bid for ever anime series broadcast in a season, so if they didn't get a simulcast, it was indeed due to licensing issues.

We're getting very close this season ~ excepting compilations of previously aired series put out to lay the foundation for a coming sequel, short specials, and kid's shows, wouldn't it be Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle, Tamayura ~Hitotose~, Ben-To, and Chibi Devi! still to be announced?

And Crunchyroll has a TBD [?] box up, so when that is announced (I'd guess likely tomorrow), it'll be down to three.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I quite agreed with Brian's answers to the Funico and streaming questions. If done correctly, when two or more companies come together to form a partnership that, in the end, allows each of the companies to concentrate on their core businesses, that gives them greater strength. In this case, I see this as being positive, both for streaming and for physical releases of BD/DVD media. I wouldn't be surprised to see more partnerships formed as companies try to adjust to models that achieve the greatest results. I think the future looks bright.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
... No, they were simply left behind, and possibly not due to licensing issues, though you can't quite count that out, but simply due to them being seemingly-ignored for the season.
Crunchyroll is on the record saying they put in a bid for ever anime series broadcast in a season, so if they didn't get a simulcast, it was indeed due to licensing issues.

We're getting very close this season ~ excepting compilations of previously aired series put out to lay the foundation for a coming sequel, short specials, and kid's shows, wouldn't it be Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle, Tamayura ~Hitotose~, Ben-To, and Chibi Devi! still to be announced?

And Crunchyroll has a TBD [?] box up, so when that is announced (I'd guess likely tomorrow), it'll be down to three.

I think Gundam AGE is not yet legally streaming. That could be the TBA for CR. Or it could be Phi Brain, or Ben-to those look like something CR would show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Trying to watch Last Exile on niconico was like pulling teeth. I was only able to see about 2-3 minutes at a time, even after pausing 5 minutes or more for it to load. I want to see some of these shows and hope they can get their act together.

Depressing end credits/songs...really? For the most part, they're slower and calm but not depressing. The ones I try to avoid (but end up watching anyway) are the eerie (Paranoia Agent, Hell Girl season 1) or downright scary ones (Mystic Archives of Dantalian)
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
...Hitman Reborn having a sad ending theme?

Familia is a sad theme that loosely ties into the series?

Um...

Last time I checked, Familia is about Family...which is the series strong point.

Also, SuperGal's ending was sad?

Someone needs to read the translated lyrics to these songs. They're all talking about if one is lonely or sad, their friends/family are always there for them....that doesn't seem....sad to me, it makes me feel warm inside and smile.

Lyrics to Familia:

Familia - Among the limited connections, the people who are part of your life

Familia - The people who always fill up your cell phone's recent calls list for you

Familia - Sometimes we argue and separate but somehow ending up next to me again

Familia - They are the people that come to you whenever something happens to you

Why I feel lonely for no particular reason

It's because you gave me this feeling so I know when I'm not alone.

Mother, Father, Brother, Sister and all my friends... Thank you for your love

Even though I'm so tiny, even though I'm a coward, you still love me a lot

Mother, Father, Brother, Sister and all my friends... I love you so much

Their warm voices have always gently pushed me forward

For meeting me... Thank you

That...seems sad?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
EDs are usually expected to be slower and downbeat, so imo the light and peppy endings to dark, depressing series are even more incongruous. I'm looking mainly in the direction of Elfen Lied, Gantz, and Divergence Eve here.

CG-Lover wrote:
In fact, you should see the number of people out there who actually hope for some anime companies to do poorly simply because they dislike that company's services. I'm not saying those people are right mind you, I think they're morons. But that's just how it is.
And that's not even getting into the people who want ALL anime licensees to fail regardless of relative quality, simply because the companies either C&D fansubbers and torrent sites, use the color yellow in subtitles, or dare to translate sacred words like "itadakimasu" or "onee-chan" -- an act of localization which the haters view as equivalent to 4Kids calling riceballs doughnuts.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I think Gundam AGE is not yet legally streaming. That could be the TBA for CR. Or it could be Phi Brain, or Ben-to those look like something CR would show.
Gundam AGE is streaming to South and Southeast Asia and Oz/NZ, which is kind of bizarre, since AFAIU, the other language subs are not region restricted.

At this point, I'd think CR is more likely to get Ben-to but l'm not one of the hot hands in guessing CR's lineup.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Gundam AGE is streaming to South and Southeast Asia and Oz/NZ, which is kind of bizarre, since AFAIU, the other language subs are not region restricted.

At this point, I'd think CR is more likely to get Ben-to but l'm not one of the hot hands in guessing CR's lineup.

Silly me I completely forgot about that it was streaming some places. Well slipped my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
thank you answering my question on quality, yes I agree some people will watch a series because it is new and fanservicey. but personally think at some point it is not worth the time of qaulity people to work on breast show number 184. zac and everyone on ANN cast talk about how one day we may wish R1 anime was back to being a gated community. and that was if with crunchyroll who does not do DVDS, and now we have funinico who is probably do dvds for 1-3 of these series. and may now be spending a lot of money to dub and release a horrible series,(yes I know, if it pays, it pays). when they could try and bring a stronger series across the ocean that is worth the time and effort.

I owe crunchyroll a lot for some of my favorite series that will never get a dvd release probably such as beast player erin, skip beat, time of eve and many others. but those are upheld as qaulity shows where as a big majority of the shows that had more effort put into their translation then plot or writing are getting simulcasted. I just find that to be wrong.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
any news on niconico getting rid of that thing where new episodes are only available for a week? I'm not one those people who's up on simulcasting, it's been years since I literally followed new episodes as they came out and these days I watch streams in passing. If episodes aren't going to be available for longer than a week niconico/funico has nothing to offer me. I was able to devour a whole series from last winter on crunchyroll a few weeks ago, if niconico could offer something like that with ads or something to justify it, I might be willing to give them a chance. Honestly, I know everyone seems to be down on them but I think there's something to be said for a streaming service that has properly timed subs. In this age of anime streaming, it's shocking how many shows on hulu and crunchyroll have subtitles appear too soon or too late. What's so hard about having the dialogue pop up when the character starts talking and disappear when they're done? If amateur fansubbers can manage that, a professional company should be able to do the same.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
any news on niconico getting rid of that thing where new episodes are only available for a week? I'm not one those people who's up on simulcasting, it's been years since I literally followed new episodes as they came out and these days I watch streams in passing. If episodes aren't going to be available for longer than a week niconico/funico has nothing to offer me. I was able to devour a whole series from last winter on crunchyroll a few weeks ago, if niconico could offer something like that with ads or something to justify it, I might be willing to give them a chance.

Just buy a subscription then.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

You're not counting gdgd Fairies.

And that makes me sad.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
You're not counting gdgd Fairies.

And that makes me sad.

You have been fooled, gdgd Faires is being simulcast (apparently without region lock) on nicovideo.jp. Screw Funico and getting paid, you know you want to translate gdgd Fairies for the greater good. The nicovideo scrolling comments are there, tempting you to add epically timed English subs. Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Silly me I completely forgot about that it was streaming some places. Well slipped my mind.
Easy to overlook ~ I had to double check to be sure I had the right one. A North American stream and then for some but not all a variable additional region list, either on the same site (Crunchyroll and presumably niconico.com over time), or on dedicated sites (Anime-on-Demand, Madman's Screening Room, Siren), is such a norm that Gundam Age stands out as a special case.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
... but personally think at some point it is not worth the time of qaulity people to work on breast show number 184. zac and everyone on ANN cast talk about how one day we may wish R1 anime was back to being a gated community. ...
Nostalgia for the gated community is not the same as a majority actually preferring that ~ getting close to everything means not only getting stuff that is less popular because it is derivative schlock, but also getting stuff that is good but in too narrow a niche to be a big hit.

And people like being able to decide for themselves, first, which is good and which is schlock, and second, how far they wish to descend into derivative schlock.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
macloud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Here is what funico can do for me: Get the shows on the dang site. That's it. Any technical improvements can come after that, but I'm here for the shows.

And so would i as well......IF EVERY SINGLE SERIES WASN'T GEOLOCKED TO THE US AND CANNADA ONLY!!!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

....and breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5