• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
About "Samurai 7": I thought someone else would bring this up, but apparently not. "S7" is a remake, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the majority of the audience were fans of the original. Of course, the circumstances are a little different (like the fact that Kirara doesn't exist in the original movie), but they were very faithful to the ending. And most of the rest of it, in fact.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Awesome and hilarious as always. I love your answer for the anime makers. Maybe they will step off you for awhile.

Quote:
I have no real issue with No Country for Old Men taking the top prize.

Okay. I know this is an anime forum but I can't help but ask what are your thoughts on this movie? I seen it in the theater backk in Dec. so my memeory is a bit fuzzy but I remember loving it. The ending however just left me in a silent WTF state. Same with the rest of the audience. I knew they couln't realy go anywhere else with the story with spoiler[the main character killed and the antagonist walkin away. (With a broken arm from an accident! Awesome!)] Then you get the cop spoiler[talking about a dream or something that didn't go anywhere] and fade to black. It was a great movie but that scene just seemed...meh. Anti climatic maybe. Then again my film buffness is almost nil.
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
I have to agree; this was one of the funnier Answerman columns in recent memory. Thanks for an enjoyable read as always, Zac.

What I wanted to comment on was the Hell Girl tag line. I definitely am in agreement with the sentiment that there just seems to be a lack of effort/creativity in tag lines and whatnot. In regards to that specific one for Hell Girl though, at first glance, yes, it does seem to be rather...lacking. However, if you've been following the R1 DVD releases, I think that tag line works fine. They're at the point in the storyline (end of DVD Vol. 3) that you're beginning to ponder exactly that question: "Who Is She?" Yeah, the series is still kind of episodic, but at least there seems to be a little more mystery now beyond the "someone did something bad send him to hell" theme. It actually feels like they're going to reveal a bit more of Ai's past and identity. Well, that's my take on it anyway.

By the way, speaking of taglines, that Miko Mido one was pretty funny. Good find, jsev. Very Happy

Last edited by stormcrow22 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Naming characters after cars worked perfectly well for Magic Knight Rayearth, why the hate now? ^_- Eagle Vision, Geo Metro...great stuff right there.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hey, I had an idea for a story. The characters all had American names because I'm, you know, American. The villian wasn't emotionally scarred, just evil. the hero wasn't emo, he just did what he had to. I've proposed it to nobody, because I have no idea where I would and I'm pretty sure nobody wants it. But if I did, it'd be, you know, an AMERICAN company. Closest thing I'd do to submitting it to an anime/manga company would be to submit it to Tokyopop as an OEL manga.

in other words, some people should just keep their ideas to themselves, rather than make asses of themselves.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
So was I the only one who agreed with the MoonPhase comments?

I actually liked how Moon Phase developed and ended--from the beginning I found the romantic comedy elements in the show far more interesting than the action/gothic ones, so in the end it didn't really matter to me that some of the action plotlines were left hanging as long as I was satisfied with how Hazuki and Kohei's relationship progressed. At first I found ep.26 kind of annoying and pointless but when I re-watched the whole show I think it's quite possable that vampires working for Hazuki's father captured Hitomi and turned her into a vampire whose special vampire power is to trap people in delusional worlds--but her infatuation with Seiji is so strong that instead of trying to capture Hazuki she uses her powers to torture Seiji as revenge for ignoring her the previous 25 episodes. Anyone disappointed with how the anime ended might want to check out the comic version which goes beyond where the anime ended with some differencesspoiler[as far as I've read, "puppet" vampire not defeated, Arte still an enemy, Grandpa Midou and Elfriede either dead or in hiding a very long time, rest of the gang on the run.]
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Color me surprised. Here I was thinking that EVERYBODY was going to write in with regards to changing the ending of Death Note. I'm pretty sure even the most dedicated fans generally agree that series lost a lot of steam near the end. I can't write to save my life, but perhaps a more entertaining ending would have involved (I guess I'll spoiler tag this even though nothing described within actually happens) spoiler[L and Light each with Death Notes both staring at each other in a Sergio Leone-esque staredown, wondering whether or not they should either write down the other's name or their own. Their choice is of course dependent on what they think the other person is going to write, since the outcome of their action would be affected by whatever the other guy did. Sure, there's the matter of how L would be there, how he would have a Death Note, or whether it'd be in his character to even consider using the thing, but it probably would have been more entertaining than what we got.] Even the live-action adaptations of Death Note changed the original ending up a bit.

The ending to Gundam SEED Destiny was lackluster as well, even after they went back and re-did it. TWICE. If ever there was an argument to be made for production studios to adopt the practice of creating general outlines for the ENTIRE story on an episode-by-episode basis, BEFORE starting the first episode and filling in the details as you go, SEED Destiny is it. The present "plan out the first 3 or 4, then make up the rest as you go" approach is only giving rise to show after show after show where there's either a poor ending or no ending at all, and that goes double if Chiaki Konaka is the writer. Or JJ Abrams. Or the writers of 24 past the first 12 episodes of Season 1.

EDIT: I'm a pretty vocal critic of just about everything made by Gonzo since just about all of their shows fall apart within about 3 episodes (including Samurai 7), but if I had to choose one series of theirs to fix the ending of, it's Last Exile, without a doubt. I'd go into why except I've blanked out my knowledge of that series due to feeling so let down by the ending that I probably don't even care about the rest of the show now.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Load your canon with popcorn Zac and prepare to fire. Wink

I thought the bunny was chucking its dinner at yet another budding Miyazaki waiting for that multi million Yen production budget. Razz

@ Hey AnswerFan:
Anime.
No manga!
No anime!
No!
I need to lay down. Anime dazed
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Naming characters after cars worked perfectly well for Magic Knight Rayearth, why the hate now? ^_- Eagle Vision, Geo Metro...great stuff right there.

It worked fine for the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise as well. Smile A large percentage of the characters have auto related names - just a few examples are:

Subaru Nakajima (Subaru cars, Nakajima aircraft)
Fate Testarossa (Ferrari Testarossa)
Teana Lanster (Nissan Teana)
Erio Mondial (Ferrari Mondial)
Vivio Takamachi (Subaru Vivio)
WEKS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
"Dudes fight in space!"

Made me instantly think of legends of the galactic heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

Quote:
So was I the only one who agreed with the MoonPhase comments?

I thought 'MoonPhase' went off the rails long before the clearly 'out-of-ideas' ending arc started. The first few episodes used supernatural themes as an interesting backdrop for a 'welcome to adulthood' allegory. The protagonist's is entering a workforce were it feels everyone is more talented then he is, and is balancing conflict with a hot-headed girl a bit younger then him, and kind of intimated by a women somewhat older older then he is. Dealing with family issues. Interesting visual style accompanying.

Writing not being anime's strong suit,a low-key take on the protagonist's relationships was quickly dropped for ever more protracted 'Monster of the Week' style action. Felt like the target age for the show dropped 3-4 years pretty quickly. I agree the ending wasn't satisfying for what it was, but by that time I thought the show had been a stinker for awhile.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
What about the names in every single JoJo's Bizzare Adventure series?

Those are epic.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Writing not being anime's strong suit,a low-key take on the protagonist's relationships was quickly dropped for ever more protracted 'Monster of the Week' style action. Felt like the target age for the show dropped 3-4 years pretty quickly. I agree the ending wasn't satisfying for what it was, but by that time I thought the show had been a stinker for awhile.

I agree; I think when it really started going downhill was after the Count Kinkle arc, as the original poster alluded to, but even after that, it had promise. I held out hope til the end, but was not rewarded. Confused
Alexander Morou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Greetings Zac Bertschy,

So were one interested in getting an idea of theirs realized in an animated form; what would one do?

Would the person need to construct a world to the level of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, or so on before they would even be able to have a chance at anything?

I understand that, as a spokesperson for a large website geared towards news/reviews/opinions about anime and manga, you receive a large volume of unsolicited scripts, and bad ideas. As such, I could also understand you being a tad miffed at the umpteenth instance of a Gaara/Vash/Rurouni Kenshin/et al. rip-off in your in-box. However, do you have any words for those who are genuinely interested in getting their work previsualized, storyboarded, keyed, inbetweened, colored, voiced, mastered, etc.?

It might save your in-box for a spell to give a weeks worth of hopefuls an idea of what they might expect if they were to really give it all they've got; an idea of what it would be like, the kinds of requirements, and so on. What would be required to get your work actually transitioned from unsolicited to approved and in the works (or at the very least, not thrown in the garbage can.)

I'm the type of person who would read your reply, because while I do have ideas, I'm not going to submit them unless I know that what's submitted has a chance at being at least looked at.

I'm writing a story of my own that uses standard 'concepts' in either Japanese animation or American culture and blends them together. I plan to draw a comic of the story as I have it now (a measly 40 pages in two chapters, that'd be what, at most 24 minutes, if I'm lucky?) to at least get an idea of the world in its entirety. I research even the most stupid detail, such as the rules used in call signs on airplanes, the actual gates used by known US airports. Stupid detail crap that no one will probably notice, but in not researching it makes me think that someone will notice and it'll destroy the suspension of disbelief.

While I'm sure you have received at least one message in similar form, I'd be interested in your reply.

(Though I'm thinking it might be something like: Get an agent (a good one), push it towards every publisher that you wouldn't mind animating your idea; accepting the fact that x many rewrites might be in order for them to consider your idea as a viable option amongst countless thousands of other hopefuls. Only then to find that they will do it but you'll have to change this, that or the other that's non-negotiable in your mind, only to find yourself back at square one, rinse, repeat until you succeed.)
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Alexander Morou wrote:
It might save your in-box for a spell to give a weeks worth of hopefuls an idea of what they might expect if they were to really give it all they've got; an idea of what it would be like, the kinds of requirements, and so on. What would be required to get your work actually transitioned from unsolicited to approved and in the works (or at the very least, not thrown in the garbage can.)

In addition to the sheer entertainment value of his old columns, Zac has addressed this sort of question multiple times in the past. So many times, in fact, that I'm pretty sure that the moratorium on 'getting into the industry' questions hasn't been lifted yet. Sometimes he even answered to the best of his ability with a minimum of sarcasm.

You might want to check them out (go back at least a couple years and work forward if you do this).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8