• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Color me surprised. Here I was thinking that EVERYBODY was going to write in with regards to changing the ending of Death Note. I'm pretty sure even the most dedicated fans generally agree that series lost a lot of steam near the end. I can't write to save my life, but perhaps a more entertaining ending would have involved (I guess I'll spoiler tag this even though nothing described within actually happens) spoiler[L and Light each with Death Notes both staring at each other in a Sergio Leone-esque staredown, wondering whether or not they should either write down the other's name or their own. Their choice is of course dependent on what they think the other person is going to write, since the outcome of their action would be affected by whatever the other guy did. Sure, there's the matter of how L would be there, how he would have a Death Note, or whether it'd be in his character to even consider using the thing, but it probably would have been more entertaining than what we got.] Even the live-action adaptations of Death Note changed the original ending up a bit.

The only thing I would change about the ending of Death Note would be to spoiler[make it more like the manga's ending. Light's end was so much more pathetic, and it's really a stark contrast from the overconfident kid thinking he could become God. Also, Ryuk actually telling Light that he's going to kill him was great because of how terrifying he was. Great stuff. Although, the anime's ending was pretty good too.]
Alexander Morou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Alexander Morou wrote:
Redundancy removed

In addition to the sheer entertainment value of his old columns, Zac has addressed this sort of question multiple times in the past. So many times, in fact, that I'm pretty sure that the moratorium on 'getting into the industry' questions hasn't been lifted yet. Sometimes he even answered to the best of his ability with a minimum of sarcasm.

You might want to check them out (go back at least a couple years and work forward if you do this).

Such as this?

So effectively the only manner in which to do it is to give yourself unto your ideas? Nothing wrong with that, my life is already so. My aims are a bit different than mentioned there however. I'm presently geared towards 'Programming', 'Writing' and 'Drawing'. Compared to someone like Miyazaki I'm a fledling, or perhaps even less.

I haven't ever made a single video of any kind, so it's certainly something I'd have to look into. I doubt you'd have to be at Miyazaki's level to get somewhere. It's not to say that I wouldn't be up to the challenge, of a creator's level, though.
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree that, at first glance, Cowboy Bebop doesn't send a very good message about making your way through life.

Or does it?

There's more than one way to receive a message. Sometimes the message is received when you strongly, fundamentally disagree with a character's decisions. The message to me: The past can shape us, but it can't control us (unless we allow it to). And salvation is always near, if you choose to look for it.

As for why Jet and Faye didn't stop him, I imagine that there were a lot of emotions involved that they didn't know what to do with. The three of them didn't communicate very well.
Harukarc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Here's an idea.

Since Zac mentioned how YouTube is making stars out people who think they have talent,

Why not submit your original ideas TO You Tube?? Then you can upload the video and we can all watch it!! Laughing
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, after reading all of this I have to say I'd really like to get some feedback on my personal manga ideas. I'm not sure if I need to worry about it because I would like to think they're at least original enough anyways, but I don't know, this has really been a wake-up call in a sort of way. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't know. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Only problem is the only thing I've actually written of these ideas are a couple of summaries I wrote right here on this forum in a "anime/manga ideas" thread, and a lot of those ideas have evolved since. Don't worry though Zac, I won't burden you with them! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by BrothersElric on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Eh... as a general rule for myself now days, I try not to look at Funimation's taglines for things they release... I haven't seen even one in the past year that hasn't made me smack my forehead and go "Why?". I used to have to refresh the page everytime the ad for Trinity Blood came up on the top banner on ANN's main page, because I just did not want to see "Vampires and the Vatican? Holy Hell!" over and over again.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I thought the bunny was chucking its dinner at yet another budding Miyazaki waiting for that multi million Yen production budget. Razz

Random bunny fact #19876: Bunnies can't vomit.

Smile
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for Zac every time the "I wanna be an anime maker" questions pop up. In addition to everything he said about being creative, I wanted to add this:

At my company, we have a saying: "The world needs plumbers, too." Meaning that some people are meant to be writers and some are definitely not. For those who are meant to be writers, the best way to get published is to write. Nobody is going to pay you just for your ideas, because ideas are cheap.

For those who want to make manga or anime, you really need to at least learn the language and move to Japan. I remember reading about an American (I think he was American, but he might have been from one of the commonwealths—wait, are they still called that?) who works for Team NINJA (the guys who make the DOA and Ninja Gaiden games). He started out by being born talented (which was all luck) and then working really, really hard to learn to be a computer programmer and become fluent in Japanese (which was all learned skill). Then he moved to Japan and basically won the lottery to become possibly the first and only gaijin working as a designer for a Japanese game company in Japan.

So it seems possible that someone from NotJapan could become a writer or director for an anime company, but it's not likely. If you have creative ambitions, there are plenty of opportunities in the English-speaking world to share your output. Smile
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I thought the bunny was chucking its dinner at yet another budding Miyazaki waiting for that multi million Yen production budget. Razz

Smile

Holy crap! Seriously? Wow....that actually is good to know.
I'm surprised I didn't...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Nah, if you have a bad idea you want to get published, just submit to Tokyopop. They accept all kinds of crap, paper-thin quality control, and some of it even gets published in Japan.

It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Zac should seriously just point those random wannabes to that route, seriousment.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:
Out of all the "question" marketing taglines, possibly the worst is Spiral's, "What are the Blade Children?"

No freaking joke. What a waste of time that anime was.

That ad campaign still bewilders me. It garners absolutely no interest if you haven't seen it (The question should be, "Why do I care about the Blade Children?" And it should be answered). If you've seen it, it's an absolute laugh riot.

I still like the show, though. Its insanity alone is enough to entertain me.

"Good morning. While you were sleeping, we soaked your underwear with a type of fluid that attracts African jumping spiders, which we just happen to have in the next room. If you try to remove your underwear, it will set off piles of C4 we've had wrapped around the building. Cluster bombs with motion detection have randomly been installed in your apartment, so don't try running. To get out of this room, you must solve a riddle based around the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. If you don't solve it in 2 minutes, nerve gas will be pumped in. Should you survive all of this, you will get another vague clue on the whereabouts of your brother. GO!"
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Bika-chan wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Smile

Yep. A random, but useful fact. For instance, not giving your pet rabbit any food before surgery is useless and may even be harmful Smile

Rabbits are such great pets. They don't barf up nasty stuff, can be trained to use the litterbox... That alone makes them smarter and more hygienic than some of the people I have met.

The downside to owning house rabbits is of course their attraction to paper, in particular the kind of paper manga is printed on Anime hyper
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Bika-chan wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Smile

Yep. A random, but useful fact. For instance, not giving your pet rabbit any food before surgery is useless and may even be harmful Smile

Rabbits are such great pets. They don't barf up nasty stuff, can be trained to use the litterbox... That alone makes them smarter and more hygienic than some of the people I have met.

The downside to owning house rabbits is of course their attraction to paper, in particular the kind of paper manga is printed on Anime hyper

Shocked Damn...well, I still love bunnies!

And.....now back to the topic! Smile
Sorry...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't scene someone mention the Mutineer's Moon anime since a coupkle of years ago in Anime Insider. Come to think of it, Zac was probably still working there when that interview took place.

I think the character Kirara in Samurai 7 is based off of the farmer's daughter that is Katsuhiro's love interest throughout the film. Although in the movie they eventually have sex.
maus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
About "Samurai 7": I thought someone else would bring this up, but apparently not. "S7" is a remake, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the majority of the audience were fans of the original. Of course, the circumstances are a little different (like the fact that Kirara doesn't exist in the original movie), but they were very faithful to the ending. And most of the rest of it, in fact.

Hear hear! I totally agree with that! And btw giving that god-awful Kirara character that big a role in the whole story would be an affront to the memory of the original movie. Evil or Very Mad
Also, I find it very bad that someone who likes anime and even sends a letter to this website doesn't even know of the existence of The seven Samurai/Schichinin no Samurai. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8