• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Selects Blu-ray Disc Format

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ha Ha , who's laughing at the guy who bought a PS3 solely for blue ray movies now. Although its only going to be good news if they release more episodes per disc i mean its blue ray it can hold up to 50 gigabytes thats like 5 series of 26 episodes (of normal quality)at least. Come on adv don't make me pay 50 dollars for 4 episodes.
DClark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
So does this mean they will solely be distributing their titles in Blu-Ray, or be releasing two versions--regular and Blu-Ray?

(sorry if this is a dumb question)

the number of Blu-Ray and HD DVD disks people have bought is absolutely dwarfed by DVD sales (less than 1% of disks sold last year were Blu-Ray/HD DVD); they'll be releasing DVDs for a long, long time.

I bought an HD DVD player shortly after the Warner announcement and subequent price drop, mainly because of price and I intend to use it mainly as an upscaling DVD player that happens to be able to play HD media. I don't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player in 2008 (not interested in the PS3 and won't spend more than $150 on an HD player) so hopefully the fact they'll have a Blu-Ray version mastered means that an HD DVD version is possible (and financially viable) if its hardware adoption is reasonably large (it's over 1 million now, though I have no clue how large it must be to sustain anime sales).

Regardless, there's always the DVD version which seems good enough for me (I don't have a massive 50+ inch TV).
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
Ha Ha , who's laughing at the guy who bought a PS3 solely for blue ray movies now. Although its only going to be good news if they release more episodes per disc i mean its blue ray it can hold up to 50 gigabytes thats like 5 series of 26 episodes (of normal quality)at least. Come on adv don't make me pay 50 dollars for 4 episodes.

I hope they put 6-7 Episodes on a Disc, that would be awesome, only 4 Blu-Ray Discs for an entire 26 Episode series!

I still plan to buy DVD's for a while, because Blu-Ray is still all new and all, just curious, when ADV get around to releasing Blu-Ray Stuff, will DVD Versions be available also around the same time?
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
So does this mean they will solely be distributing their titles in Blu-Ray, or be releasing two versions--regular and Blu-Ray?

the number of Blu-Ray and HD DVD people have bought is absolutely dwarfed by DVD sales (less than 1% of disks sold last year were Blu-Ray/HD DVD); they'll be releasing DVDs for a long, long time.

I bought an HD DVD player shortly after the Warner announcement and subequent price drop, mainly because of price and I intend to use it mainly as an upscaling DVD player that happens to be able to play HD media. I don't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player in 2008 (not interested in the PS3 and won't spend more than $150 on an HD player) so hopefully the fact they'll have a Blu-Ray version mastered means that an HD DVD version is possible (and financially viable) if its hardware adoption is reasonably large (it's over 1 million now, though I have no clue how large it must be to sustain anime sales).

Regardless, there's always the DVD version which seems good enough for me (I don't have a massive 50+ inch TV).

I hope you realize theres a good chance you will end up loosing more money by getting the HD version since it can't hold nearly as much as blue ray,so while your paying pretty much the same price per volume for a few episodes the guy buying the blue ray version will be getting around 8 episodes a volume at least( or atleast that would be the most fair pricing since thats really the only reason to buy blue ray. I mean kind of defeats the purpose of even releasing on blue ray if u don't up the episode count. )Also unless you have an HD TV then HD-DVD has the same quality as a normal DVD

Last edited by zetsuie on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

I think it means they won't release two different High Def version.

There would be a normal DVD and a Blue-ray DVD release for some of their titles.

They would still have to sell normal DVDs they would kill their customer base as not "that many" people own a blue ray player yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
DClark wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

the number of Blu-Ray and HD DVD people have bought is absolutely dwarfed by DVD sales (less than 1% of disks sold last year were Blu-Ray/HD DVD); they'll be releasing DVDs for a long, long time.

u realize theres a good chance u will end up loosing more money by getting the HD version since it can't hold nearly as much as blue ray
so you'll probably end up paying for a high priced dvd and unless u have an HD tv the quality is the same as a regular dvd

Regardless of the fact that I reject the opinion of someone who can't take the time to type 'you', HD movies do not take up Blu-Ray's entire 50GB dual layer disk (which is why many Blu-Ray movies have been released on single layer 25GB disks).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Although this is good news for Blu-Ray fans, I still fail to see what is it about this format that sparks "revolutionary". From the way I see it, Blu-Ray is just the same DVD with double storage layers and greater space. I mean, what's to say that we won't see another kind of player like this in 5-10 years that can store an entire TV series in one single disc? Why couldn't we see an actual player more akin to what we're seeing in the iPod? If the next generation of players are more iPod based to the point where you don't need to buy physical discs, then I woud consider that revolutionary.

Don't mean to rib on Blu-Ray fans but that's just the way I see it right now. Confused
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
glad I bought a PS3, actually I'm pretty pissed that I bought kanon vol. 1 on dvd if its just gonna end up on blu ray, oh well.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see them applying this to TV series very much--at least not until that is the norm in Japan. Now that the US and Japan share the same region, the Japanese companies wouldn't be happy to see American releases besting the domestic ones.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
*sigh of relief* ADV really had me worried. It seems like this is the answer to all the commotion. ADV is just progressing.

Sometimes all this media format evolution just makes me sad, though. Eventually I won't be able to play my dvds anymore. I know that'll be a while, but dvds will go the way of cassette tapes, VHS, cds (the way mp3s are going) . . . . I know, I know, it's an improvement, moving into the future, blah, blah, blah, but the thought of all my dvds eventually sitting helpless on my shelves is sad Anime cry .

I'm getting far ahead of things; I'm way too sentimental.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not ready to believe everything is okay now. This may be nothing more than an attempt to delay things long enough to work out the problems they're having. This news alone doesn't mean the problems are gone, but that they may have more time to deal with them.

Although I do admit this seems to be a sign of good things. Plus I'm glad they picked Blu-Ray since I will eventually buy a PS3. (Although given the ammount of time that will probably pass before I do, they might be rolling out the PS7 by then. Wink )

Sorry to be a doomsayer, but my confidence is shot lately.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
If their going to be enough new ADV titles left to put on Blu-ray in the near future.
rg4619

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not ready to believe everything is okay now. This may be nothing more than an attempt to delay things long enough to work out the problems they're having. This news alone doesn't mean the problems are gone, but that they may have more time to deal with them.

Although I do admit this seems to be a sign of good things. Plus I'm glad they picked Blu-Ray since I will eventually buy a PS3. (Although given the ammount of time that will probably pass before I do, they might be rolling out the PS7 by then. Wink )

Sorry to be a doomsayer, but my confidence is shot lately.

Yes, this announcement seems like a good PR move to divert attention away from the recent panic.

It reinforces the notion that ADV intends to continue its current and upcoming lineup, but until the company states otherwise, we can't assume that they've resolved their licensing issues.
koukin74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Yup, time to get a PS3.

It seems Sony might actually win this format war. Beta has been avenged!

Did I just date myself? Gods!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
koukin74 wrote:
It seems Sony might actually win this format war. Beta has been avenged!

Blu-ray has just about won the format war for the longest time now (and Sony doesn't entirely own said format).

C'mon Microsoft, shell out for a Blu-ray player for my 360.

Last edited by PlatinumHawke on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7