• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twitch Site: Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham-Carter Offered Akira Roles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
If they're trying to get top tier actress for Lady Miyako, it means that Lady Miyako's role will be bigger in the film than it was in the anime. She's a very big important character in the manga.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Oldman would be great as "The Colonel" & Bonham-Carter just as good as "Lady Miyako". They both look surprisingly like the manga characters now, just some eye slanting needed. Perfect casting.

Why are people assuming the film will follow the anime & not the manga?

Looks to me like they'll do cover more than the anime, though thinking about it, have to leave room for a sequel(s) maybe?

If the film is successful it will help manga & anime in the West so I'm all for it in principle.

In hope,
Nico M Razz
Oraculo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
I greatly admire both Oldman and Bonham-Carter, but, um... "New Manhattan"??? Confused Plus, imagine an Englishwoman playing a character with a Japanese name! Why? *shivers* (I think someones cultural compass is going haywire... Anime dazed) Needless to say. I'm gonna give this one a pass and generally echo EnigmaticSky's opinion about live-action anime adaptions, "meh." Neutral I mean, it was an anime in the first place for a reason, right?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:

Why are people assuming the film will follow the anime & not the manga?

IIRC the producers have also stated that they're using the manga as the basis.

Oraculo wrote:
I greatly admire both Oldman and Bonham-Carter, but, um... "New Manhattan"??? Confused Plus, imagine an Englishwoman playing a character with a Japanese name!

OTOH, the producers have not said they're keeping the Japanese names, save possibly for Akira (who is not the main character anyways, so they could write around that name).

If they're gonna change the setting from Neo-Tokyo to Neo-Manhattan anyways, it wouldn't make sense to keep the Japanese names.

Oraculo wrote:
I mean, it was an anime in the first place for a reason, right?

Uh yeah, because the technology and the budget was not yet there for the Japanese to simulate the world of Akira in live-action.

What, you thought there was an inherent reason that a manga cannot be done in live-action? It's just a matter of convenience. Laughing
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If they're gonna change the setting from Neo-Tokyo to Neo-Manhattan anyways, it wouldn't make sense to keep the Japanese names.

Cause, y'know, Manhattan surely has no Japanese people at all. Heaven knows they couldn't keep even one or two of the original names, cause if they did the audience would certainly leave the theater in disgust.

Quote:
Uh yeah, because the technology and the budget was not yet there for the Japanese to simulate the world of Akira in live-action.

What, you thought there was an inherent reason that a manga cannot be done in live-action? It's just a matter of convenience. Laughing

Sometimes there is a reason other than convenience. Tite Kubo, for example, has specifically said there will never be a live-action Bleach movie because if he wanted to make something that could be replicated in live-action, he would've just made a movie in the first place. There are many things that can't be done in a live-action film, things that no amount of CGI will make look anything but ridiculous. Remember Goku's idiotic-looking Kamehamehadouken at the end of Dragonball Evolution? Yeah. Character designs are another example of this--do you think just about ANYONE from, say, One Piece could be pulled off in live action?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
live adaptations just make me want to scream out in rage

......TESUOOOOOOOO!!!!

seriously im expecting a dire whitewashed piece of crap no matter who is in it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Cause, y'know, Manhattan surely has no Japanese people at all. Heaven knows they couldn't keep even one or two of the original names, cause if they did the audience would certainly leave the theater in disgust.

Since it's Manhattan, that's why I mentioned that they could possibly keep the Akira character. Just don't expect the main characters to be; otherwise, they might as well kept it in Tokyo.

TheSwedishElf wrote:

Quote:

Sometimes there is a reason other than convenience. Tite Kubo, for example, has specifically said there will never be a live-action Bleach movie because if he wanted to make something that could be replicated in live-action, he would've just made a movie in the first place. There are many things that can't be done in a live-action film, things that no amount of CGI will make look anything but ridiculous. Remember Goku's idiotic-looking Kamehamehadouken at the end of Dragonball Evolution? Yeah. Character designs are another example of this--do you think just about ANYONE from, say, One Piece could be pulled off in live action?

It's just a matter of time, as technology progresses or becomes affordable. At one point, nobody thought we could do fantastical movies without making it a bit hokey with people/robots in costume suits. But then Jurassic Park became a watershed moment - people and fantasy creatures on the screen at the same time that's believable! (Anybody here cognizant at that time knows how a big deal that moment was.) Now, movies that could only be done with animation before, like Lord of the Rings and Transformers, can be believably done in live-action.

So, point is, never say never. Stuff that we couldn't imagine right now, who knows what can be done decades from now? Me, I'm still waiting for the Holodeck. Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Since it's Manhattan, that's why I mentioned that they could possibly keep the Akira character. Just don't expect the main characters to be; otherwise, they might as well kept it in Tokyo.

And again it boils down to the source material. Some stories are set in entirely fantastical worlds (like Castle in the Sky or Dragonball) in which it really doesn't matter what the ethnicity of the character is.

In other cases, the story is grounded in a real-world location and has central characters of specific ethnicities (NGE or Akira), at which point you have to ask yourself why you're changing these aspects, even if the story can survive the alteration. Is it because it honestly serves the story just as well or better or just out of crass commercialization that disregards part of the story's essential essence?

There's also, of course, a few cases where the characters in a foreign work are decidedly white, even if the people who made it aren't. Fullmetal Alchemist (which takes place in alt-universe version of Germany), for example.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And again it boils down to the source material. Some stories are set in entirely fantastical worlds (like Castle in the Sky or Dragonball) in which it really doesn't matter what the ethnicity of the character is.

Ahem...Dragonball Evolution. There's a pretty big problem when someone with a name like "Goku" is being played by someone like Justin Chatwin.

And MOST fantastical settings are based on existing cultures. For example, IF they ever make a live-action Howl's Moving Castle, book or the anime, they better make everyone white. Because all the names are white, and the setting is clearly european. So blacks and asians don't exist there.
Quote:
There's also, of course, a few cases where the characters in a foreign work are decidedly white, even if the people who made it aren't. Fullmetal Alchemist (which takes place in alt-universe version of Germany), for example.

Agreed. There are PLENTY of anime with white people in a white only setting...why not adapt those instead? Fullmetal Alchemist is probably more popular than Akira as of right now thanks to how old Akira is, and how popular Fullmetal Alchemist is.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

In other cases, the story is grounded in a real-world location and has central characters of specific ethnicities (NGE or Akira), at which point you have to ask yourself why you're changing these aspects, even if the story can survive the alteration. Is it because it honestly serves the story just as well or better or just out of crass commercialization that disregards part of the story's essential essence?

I agree with you; it's more about marketing. If they're making it like District 9, a sci-fi movie with a budget of just $30 million, they could keep everything in Tokyo. But they're planning to make it a trilogy which requires a high initial investment already (and thus a "tentpole" project) and trying to sell 3 movies instead of 1........... they're gonna try to make it appealing to a much wider audience to pay for all that cost. (In their defense, a live-action Akira trilogy can possibly only be done correctly with a lot of expense, the same with the Lord of the Rings trilogy - something that Japan's own live-action industry couldn't afford by itself, most likely why they've never done it all these years.)

Gon*Gon wrote:

And MOST fantastical settings are based on existing cultures. For example, IF they ever make a live-action Howl's Moving Castle, book or the anime, they better make everyone white. Because all the names are white, and the setting is clearly european. So blacks and asians don't exist there.

And yet Hayao Miyazaki somehow based the British Arrietty in Japan. Laughing
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's just a matter of time, as technology progresses or becomes affordable. At one point, nobody thought we could do fantastical movies without making it a bit hokey with people/robots in costume suits. But then Jurassic Park became a watershed moment - people and fantasy creatures on the screen at the same time that's believable! (Anybody here cognizant at that time knows how a big deal that moment was.) Now, movies that could only be done with animation before, like Lord of the Rings and Transformers, can be believably done in live-action.

So, point is, never say never. Stuff that we couldn't imagine right now, who knows what can be done decades from now? Me, I'm still waiting for the Holodeck. Smile

Yeah, nice thought and all, but you kinda missed my own point. Not everything can work or look good in live-action, no matter how much SFX you throw in. I even gave examples of this. Do you need more? Cause I could easily think of more.

It's not a matter of whether or not it CAN be replicated in live-action, it's a matter of whether it SHOULD be.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2