• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: Most Important/Interesting News

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the last question is it lets anyone add another option to the list. Already there are weird redundancies showing up. And what's with the all-caps 'and'? At least edit them before they're added to the list ....
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I would personally like to see more news on sales numbers.

So would I, actually. Sales numbers in anime are as mysterious as the reason why...

Meh, I can't think of anything reasonable to compare it with. Razz
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
The problem with the last question is it lets anyone add another option to the list. Already there are weird redundancies showing up. And what's with the all-caps 'and'? At least edit them before they're added to the list ....

They are definitely editing them, though I think they might get submitted right away and cleaned up every once in a while. They edited mine at some point (thankfully, since I didn't think I had worded it very well). I had originally said "people who died" or something like that where they have "obituaries". Also, the list of choices looks shorter and is definitely in a different order than the last time I looked at it, so they must be cleaning them up.

Also, I've noticed that the only way I can view the poll again is to log out of my account. I wanted to see what new choices people were submitting to the last question, and I realized that was the only way to do it. Personally, I think with more choices being added, you should be able to view the survey again and change your choice, in case someone comes up with a good choice that you didn't think of.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
RedTigerWolf wrote:
The last section of this survey should be multi-optional. I had to go with Obituaries cause that's pretty important.

I would have also chosen the fact that there shouldn't be any jumping of the gun. Then again, this site is basically a gossip column anyways, and one of recent examples being the ADV thing that just proves the fact that that's what this sites news is all about. Another example would be Kodomo no Jikan, but I'll leave it at that.

I only use this site for it's encyclopedia anyways for the most part and only if I see a worthwhile survey or some real news that I haven't seen somewhere else.

We didn't "jump the gun" on anything, we reported on an event, which was ADV pulling a bunch of titles off of their website. That's newsworthy. We didn't speculate in the article. If people get all panicked about an event like that, it's not our fault for reporting facts and events.

It wasn't "gossip", ADV pulled those titles off of their website, and they're still gone now. We reported each and every statement and factual update to that situation as they happened.

Kodomo no Jikan was related entirely to an op/ed column. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the news feed. In no way is ANN a "gossip column" - that is an entirely unfair and untrue thing to say.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I can find most of these topics answered by other sources. The only figure that I really want to see is sales numbers. I hate having to rely on amazon's sales since they are a tad skewed towards the casual viewer. Despite this I find it amazing how many people here were surprised that Witchblade was on of the best selling new titles in 07 since it is constantly up at the top of amazon's list. I also believe that Gundam Seed Destiny sold much better than people suspect but find my "It is number one on amazon at the moment beating Mizyazaki and Dragon Ball" argument would be better supported if we could get concrete numbers like Japan's Oricon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We didn't "jump the gun" on anything, we reported on an event, which was ADV pulling a bunch of titles off of their website. That's newsworthy. We didn't speculate in the article. If people get all panicked about an event like that, it's not our fault for reporting facts and events.

It wasn't "gossip", ADV pulled those titles off of their website, and they're still gone now. We reported each and every statement and factual update to that situation as they happened.

Also, if ANN didn't report it, someone would have soon noticed and posted it in the forums anyway. It would probably cause even more of a panic then since it would probably be accompanied by: "OMG! ADV is going out of business!!!!!" or something like that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:

Also, if ANN didn't report it, someone would have soon noticed and posted it in the forums anyway. It would probably cause even more of a panic then since it would probably be accompanied by: "OMG! ADV is going out of business!!!!!" or something like that.

Very Happy That's EXACTLY what someone would have done. So, by ANN posting it on the front page, I worried but not all that much.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I loiter on ANN an awful lot, so I don't really feel like theres' a surplus of news being reported. I dutifully filled out the survey, but if it is news related to anime, even peripherally, then I consider it a fit.

If there is a news item that doesn't capture my interest by the headline or tease below it, then I just don't click the link. This leaves me slightly confused about why trailer announcements should actually be considered a problem, since I mostly ignore them myself.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:

They are definitely editing them, though I think they might get submitted right away and cleaned up every once in a while. They edited mine at some point (thankfully, since I didn't think I had worded it very well). I had originally said "people who died" or something like that where they have "obituaries". Also, the list of choices looks shorter and is definitely in a different order than the last time I looked at it, so they must be cleaning them up.

Yes, I've been going back and making edits to the submitted choices. I've either cleaned them up as I did with yours, or removed inappropriate responses (ex: Answerman, removed that because it isn't news).

Quote:
Also, I've noticed that the only way I can view the poll again is to log out of my account. I wanted to see what new choices people were submitting to the last question, and I realized that was the only way to do it. Personally, I think with more choices being added, you should be able to view the survey again and change your choice, in case someone comes up with a good choice that you didn't think of.

Good idea. I'll mention that to Dan. He's going to get sick of all the little changes I've asked him to make to the survey script this week.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
hey how about publishing nielsen ratings on the most watched anime/episode of the day/week/month/year in japan? I'm sure broadcasting companies post their daily viewers somewhere... I just want to know what the people are watching.
artgeek707

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm most interested in trailers. The trailer was my main reason for watching Paprika (and I'm glad I did) Reviews are also nice
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2