• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiddy Grade DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
I bought the boxset about a year ago and wasn't much inclined to continue after the third episode due to the episodic nature of the series and completely forgot about it with other releases that kept me occupied, but this positive review that indicate there are better things yet to come kind of convinced me to give the series another try.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Mr. Martin put up a pretty spot on review. Looking back on 'Kiddy Grade', it kind of moves in the mold of the 'classic' anime style, not 'classic' in the quality sense (which isn't to say it's not good) but in the elements it brings and the way it builds. Cast of diverse tempered characters, strong emphasis on visual/action styling (especially early), light/humorous build with a bit of sex appeal that doesn't really turn into full out fan-service, big emotional tone-shift 1/2 to 3/4 through (While I was never a fan of how anime series often can't weave a consistent organic emotional thread, shows like 'Kiddy Grade' more or less reflect Asian cultures preference for break-neck emotional shifts -if anyones watches live action Japanese, or more specifically Hong Kong or mainland Chinese films you'll know what I mean- then today's more common 'out-of-ideas-let's-make-it-turgid' maneuvers). Also playing the drama in kind of a semi-serious/hammy sense, rather then the more prevalent soapy style of today.

At it's core, though it may be a bit more 'modern', it moves a bit like the 'Tenchi's', 'Burn-up's, 'BG Crises', 'Sorcerer Hunter's', etc. of the past. I'm not sure what type of splash the show made when it came out, and I agree with the reviewer it's solid but with some weak edges, but I do think at the price-point the set's going for if you haven't seen it you could do a lot worse.
Astraea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I first saw it, I've had a love-hate relationship with this show for its fanservicey aspects and neat storyline which seemed to have potential. However, it definitely entertained me enough to at least consider buying a boxset if ever an R2 release comes out.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I love Kiddy Grade. I bought the first volume when it came out in America and had to go get the rest the day they came out since then. Most people talk to didn't like the series till after episode 9, though I happened to like it the whole time. Maybe I just like panty shots?
Kiddy Grade is worth it though. The ending made me cry, if I remember correctly.
What ever happen to the second season, does anyone know? I've seen the trailer for it, did they just never release it?
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched this one a few years back. While multiple viewings might have helped, I wasn't too inclined to do so at the time. I might try it again soon and see if it changes my overall opinion of it. Of course, that is to say, it was a very pretty show with a real potential for greatness but whose storyline was about as developed as Lumiere's figure.

A shame, too, as they could have really gone places with this. Hopefully they'll revisit this one soon.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I was renting this on Netflix prior to the Veridian release, but through the first 8 episodes, had not thought it worth buying. I did not hate it, just thought it was not anything special.

Discs 4 and 5 changed my mind, and I picked up the collection the day it came out. It is certainly worth owning for the price, though using cardboard to store the discs in feels so different.

Gewürtztraminer
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Discs 4 and 5 changed my mind, and I picked up the collection the day it came out.

That's a pretty common reaction. I was not particularly impressed with the series before episode 9, either, but was also completely won over by that one and episodes 10-12 (i.e. vol. 4). It's now one of the handful of series that I go back and rewatch about once a year, and Eclair is one of my all-time-favorite anime characters.

I'm hesitant to take my own advice and replace my singles collection with this one, though, because I like the individual case covers too much. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone else think that Eclair and Lumiere are a bit like Utena and Anthy (not exactly the same or a ripoff or anything, just that there're some similarities)?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Utena so I can't say. I haven't seen Dirty Pair either, but that is the common comparison.
You can see influences from other shows Gotoh has worked on though, and he has done some minor work on both those shows. The other obvious comparison is between Lumiere and Ruri from Nadesico. I also wasn't surprised to find that Gotoh had worked on Sol Bianca given the similarities between the ships.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1