• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Like a Girl Out of Hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Really? I didn't know the manga was in hiatus (I wonder what the reason for that was).

I hear that the artist had a breakdown of some kind (or something like that) and couldn't continue. The Japanese publisher seems to be looking for a new artist, though, so the series could start up again sometime soon. There's also a chance that the current artist will be able to recover and continue.

That said, Volume 2 might not have a final ending, but it does have a nice wrap-up point. I do want to see if continue, though, because it's such a fun and light-hearted series.
stevek504

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Guess it's not a secret anymore. Sorry if my disclosure (or kind of forcing you to do so) has any negative effect on its sales in North America. Anime catgrin

Considering what is happening with anime, (Geneon, ADV, etc.) this doesn't sound like a big issue (yet). I bought my copy of Strawberry Panic Vol. 1, and will get Vol. 2 when it is out…
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
Considering what is happening with anime, (Geneon, ADV, etc.) this doesn't sound like a big issue (yet). I bought my copy of Strawberry Panic Vol. 1, and will get Vol. 2 when it is out…
What are you talking about with the anime? It's getting released by Media Blasters. (Sub-only of course because no one wants an anime about lesbians in school uniforms apparently.) The release isn't affected by the current state of things otherwise.

Much to my personal aggravation, Media Blasters is by all accounts doing fine.

With the manga, I don't care if it's on hiatus or not. I got the first volume and I'll get the second and if they ever get things together and release a third, I'll get that one too! So far, I'm finding I like it much more than the anime version since Shizuma's a flirt instead of a depressed girl, Nagisa's more together, and Tamao is being portrayed as the creepy girl she always has been.

Hell Girl was a must buy simply because I love the franchise in general. Heck, I'm saving up right now for some of those PVCs and art books out there. The manga does have some pluses though. I especially liked the last chapter in volume 1.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me Tokyopop covered their asses and really did shrinkwrap it and slap a "18+" on the front of it? Personally, I don't think it belongs in the regular manga section, considering how many children (tweens, teens and under) wander in there, or sit there and read all weekend long...
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Red River seems to be loved by all, but I can't get past the fact that it's a Mary Sue fic with a capital M. The final blow was when spoiler[the evil queen lady (her name eludes me) tampers with Yuri's dress and makes it rip during a dance performance. OH NOES!! Rolling Eyes ] That was such a stupid plot point! I stopped reading after that--how did it even qualify as a cliffhanger?!
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The Vampire Hunter D manga is definitely worth a read for diehard fans or those who are interested in the stories but were turned off by the florid prose of the first few books (dialogue's a lot less campy here). The art is a bit rough but it's the first volume, so I'll cut Takaki some slack.

marie-antoinette wrote:
This also reminds me that I want to pick up the novel that Vampire D: Bloodlust was based on (#3, IIRC). And maybe manga for it too, because I like the story. But I think the series overall might be a bit too epic for my tastes.

The manga for Raiser of Gales (2nd novel) will be out in August, so it'll be a long while until we see an adaptation of Demon Deathchase (3rd novel). You might as well get started on the other books to pass the time. Razz
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
I should have grabbed Futari-H the other day. It was at Borders. Un-wrapped. I don't think the rats got to this one- I just think they screwed up.

I pray some futball mom doesn't gets a hold of this one. They thought the Absolute Boyfriend cover was bad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not prudish, but I dropped Red River because of the overt sexuality. Yeah maybe it's somewhat accurate, but the way that her love interest spent half of the series coming onto her in a rather disturbing and domineering fashion and how she cried and thought herself a bad person because she didn't yet have the courage to give in to him because she's supposed to really put a poor taste in my mouth. He was never faulted for doing anything wrong, but she, despite being an unmarried teenage girl, was. This is not presented as a dysfunctional relationship, but in fact it's okay for it to be like this supposedly. I think it would have bugged me less had it been two people from the past, but her being from the future, and adopting this mindset- was a huge turnoff for me.
Kouga13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
you might as well get a life and go play some World of Warcraft.

You reveiwed .//hack just so you could say that didn't you Laughing .
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Please tell me Tokyopop covered their asses and really did shrinkwrap it and slap a "18+" on the front of it? Personally, I don't think it belongs in the regular manga section, considering how many children (tweens, teens and under) wander in there, or sit there and read all weekend long...

Well, duh, no offense. They always shrink wrap the book, but keeping it shrink wrapped in the bookstore is another story. Plus, kids shouldn't be left unattended in a bookstore anyway.

But I agree with the review for Strawberry Panic, although it should get a C- really. Rushed manga is very rushed. Heck, I was watching the fansubs as the series came out and read the first volume was already spoiled on an important plot point. If anyone wants a good dosage of SP! wait for the novels or watch the anime. Manga, to put it in a nicer word, sucks. After reading the first volume, I felt like it was a volume to briefly introduce characters and get to the Etoile battle.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I should have grabbed Futari-H the other day. It was at Borders. Un-wrapped. I don't think the rats got to this one- I just think they screwed up.

I pray some futball mom doesn't gets a hold of this one. They thought the Absolute Boyfriend cover was bad?

Yikes ... yeah, the review copy that was sent to me was definitely shrinkwrapped.

That's almost as bad as when I spotted "Yaoi Manga Vol. 1" (srsly, that's what the title was - I think it was from one of the OEL-BL publishers) right there in the open, ready to be browsed by some unsuspecting kid who will be exposed to the wonders of man-on-demon anal for the very first time.

Kouga13 wrote:
Quote:
you might as well get a life and go play some World of Warcraft.

You reveiwed .//hack just so you could say that didn't you Laughing .

Maybe I did. Wink
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
As a fan and owner of the series, I was surprised, shocked, and disbelieving when I learned the unconfirmed rumor, yet as time went by I could no longer deny it. If you check Amazon.jp you'll find the second volume was released seven months after the first, yet 15 months have passed now and there's no sign of volume 3. Rolling Eyes

I feel your pain! As a fan of series like DNAngel and the Evangelion manga (NOT Angelic Days), I have had my share of frustration on waits between volumes. At least DNAngel has returned recently to Asuka magazine!
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere (though I don't recall now, I think here, actually), that there was actually a big issue with some stores even carrying the title. So, I have no doubt that it at least WAS shrink-wrapped. It may not have stayed that way for long, though. Good to know that the stores decided to carry it after all. Let's just hope they don't screw it all up for us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2