• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evelas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Never ran into a problem with manga cows at my chapters but once around Christmas this year they had a musician set up right by the manga section pretty much blocking it off.

The bookstore in my local town has the manga on a shelf right across from the magazines, so there are convenient benches and a lot of walking space there. I can't tell you how many times I've gone in there to buy some manga and seen some Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh/some random card game "meeting" taking up the entire aisle to the point that it's impossible to even see what's on the manga shelves. Mad
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
Yeah Nina! Got get 'em!

Just one request please, please post the pictures of a clean undamaged manga isle. I would love to see one once in my life.

Actually I have tried and I was given a resounded "whatever" by the store staff. Then again I hate my local B&N because they use security tags that damage the books. Sadly people here don't care.

To the Borders staff member who corrects the bad books thank you I wish you were at my Borders. Crying or Very sad

I can understand when people get the whatever treatment from normal employees. many hate their job (retail, are seasonal help, or just there to pass the time and make a quick buck. I worked retail, I know. Hence why i said go higher to the management level. They will do something about it. And I'm sure the cows will come back to graze considering cows don't have the best memory. However, if you keep complaining to the management they will eventually take more action against the cows and not just let them be. There's this one senior worker at my Barnes and Noble who works the info desk. I split my time between them and Borders depending if I want coffee or not (our Borders has a shitty cafe with old bland coffee). The info desk is in the middle of the store at B&N and you have to either go down the main isle past it or way out of your way around the dge to get to the manga section. Whenever he's there and sees me coming he always goes right to the manga section and clears out the riff raff so he won't have to hear me complain hehe. I'm just saying you can't say something once and expect permanent results, you gotta stick with it.

billyarnie wrote:

I'm an old-school "free reader" & still am sometimes. In the "Good Ol' Days", when I read comics from the spinning rack, the store owner would confront you if you stayed too long. "Are you gonna buy that or not?!" Mad You would be surprised what a little embarassment can do... but if big box book stores don't care or are too afraid of negative reaction, maybe that's why "manga cows" still graze... MOOO! Laughing

I still do the comic reading at my comic store lol. he doesn't mind though, especially since for every 1 I read I buy 3-4 anyway heh. I also freely admit I read some manga issues I don't buy. I buy 80-90% but not all, simply don't have the money. For those that I do either skim through or read, or magazines like EGM, Play, or Metal Hammer/Edge/Maniacs, I always go to a chair or bench to read and not right on the floor or in the way.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
this makes me glad I work in the mall so me and the Walden Books employees are close. It helps that I work at Starbucks down the hall and give them free drinks/pastries when I can so in turn they are always very good to me. It's pretty rare I see cows in my Walden but it happens from time to time. And when it happens, I just tell the employees and they take care of it. The employees know I spend 100s in there every month so yeah, they'd rather I can get to the aisle than a freeloader who's been there for an hour. Occasionally when I'm on a 10 minute break I'll read a magazine or something in the store but I always do it standing and in an aisle no one is in, and if I see someone coming I politely move before they get there.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Until I started going to the Greenwood Park Mall, I'd never seen anyone in the manga aisles in Indy. Both the Lafayette Square Mall Waldenbooks and the various bookstores in the Castleton Square Mall were completely devoid of any manga browsers except for my husband and I. At the Greenwood Park Mall's bookstores there are usually people looking, but I think I've only seen one 'manga cow' thus far. The covers of the volumes seem to be in good shape too, then again, I'm usually in brick-and-mortar bookstores looking for out of print manga rather than the current hot titles, so that might make a difference in that regard. They've had years of shelf-sitting to regain their unbended state.

The ones I check are in Castleton Square, Clearwater Crossing, Keystone at the Crossing, and a couple up in Carmel (at 116th and 146th streets). Never had any problems with those, nor have I ever picked up a damaged manga from any of those. (For those not familiar with Indianapolis, Carmel is a northern suburb that, based on per-household income, is one of the most well-to-do cities in the nation. Kids who live in that area can well afford to buy whatever manga they want, and staffs in those areas are probably better-coached about maintaining appearances.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
I just cannot for the life of me ever recall seeing any cows in any of the local book stores. The closest it may have ever come was another person walked into the aisle as I left from a quick skim to see if there was anything of interest. An occasional elementary schooler over in the kids' section or a middle-to-late-ager perusing a novel, but no manga cows.

... then again, I generally try to avoid retail (hmm, lower price shipped right to my door ... versus .... usually full MSRP and having to go "out of my way" to deal with a b&m) so its possible my timing is off and their effects are sufficiently muted.

Will take pictures next time I actually hit a bookstore if the thought crosses my mind.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
RiskyTheShinigami wrote:

The Borders in Baltimore during Otakon was such a mess! I had to literally hop over people to get through the section.

Wait a minute? Otakon HAS a manga library to do this in! WHY WERE THEY AT THE BORDERS!

GOT...dammit..... Evil or Very Mad

Wyvern wrote:
sokpupet wrote:
one problem...the bat doesn't have any nails sticking out of it.

Nina will fix that. But she won't stop there. She'll make bigger bats and bigger nails.

One day she'll build a bat with a nail in it so big it will DESTROY US ALL.

I think I'm the only one who gets that reference.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Yeah, you're the only one that gets that reference from an old Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode that's been aired approximately sixteen trillion times on every channel that's ever played syndicated programming in the last 18 years.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Yeah, you're the only one that gets that reference from an old Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode that's been aired approximately sixteen trillion times on every channel that's ever played syndicated programming in the last 18 years.

**small voice**

I've never seen it...but then again, I don't watch The Simpson's.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

**small voice**

Livre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
I never really found this problem at my local Chapters, there are a few chairs around for people to skim through the manga. One day these three girls (about 13 or so) where leaning against the books reading yaoi and giggling very loudly, showing the pages to each other, and describing the contents.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

**small voice**

I should pick up my Simpsons viewing but Noggin tv marathons enforced by my 3 year old daughter prevents me doing that Razz

Last edited by Vicserr on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not to defend the proverbial "manga cow", but is it really all that hard to just walk up to them and politely ask "Excuse me, may get by please?"

I mean, 99.9% of the time it usually helps.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
TakinawaTonfa wrote:
Not to defend the proverbial "manga cow", but is it really all that hard to just walk up to them and politely ask "Excuse me, may get by please?"

I mean, 99.9% of the time it usually helps.

For you, maybe. For me, I get big, dumb cow eyes and the cow moves...1/2 inch.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
misosoupwitheggplant wrote:
Amazingly enough... I've never seen a manga cow at the waldenbooks that I live a mile away from... Though it might be because they only come when I'm not there... Or, they might not even go there. Probably the former (I've never found a stain in my manga collection that was not from me or my friends.) If someone were blocking my way, I'd probably have to do what Nina did Anime hyper. Or, just step on them.

Interestingly, whenever I go my local Walden Books there are no manga cows either. I always figured that the store was smaller (and sadly less stocked up on new releases) and further away from larger business like a movie theater. But what if they are all like that? Oh, the thought seems so strange to me - untampered manga!
misosoupwitheggplant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
misosoupwitheggplant wrote:
Amazingly enough... I've never seen a manga cow at the waldenbooks that I live a mile away from... Though it might be because they only come when I'm not there... Or, they might not even go there. Probably the former (I've never found a stain in my manga collection that was not from me or my friends.) If someone were blocking my way, I'd probably have to do what Nina did Anime hyper. Or, just step on them.

Interestingly, whenever I go my local Walden Books there are no manga cows either. I always figured that the store was smaller (and sadly less stocked up on new releases) and further away from larger business like a movie theater. But what if they are all like that? Oh, the thought seems so strange to me - untampered manga!

Maybe the manga cows are slaughtered and sold at the closest kroger? And I never had a problem with new releases at my waldenbooks... Maybe this weekend, I'll have to take $10-$50, and buy some stuff and take photos of the manga section at around 12:00 pm. Then, I can prove the mysterious dissapearing of the manga cows! Or, just get there whenever I can take a bus or walk there when I feel like it.
I could also take a picture of the Barnes and Noble in Kentucky... I'll probably be forced to go there to look at High School Musical stuff with my friend, at that one place, anyways. >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9