• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Launches iTunes Store

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
All that's missing are subtitles.

All in all, a very good start though.

-t
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a good start indeed. I just wish companies would find a way to convince whoever it is they have to convince to be able to sell stuff without DRM. I know they do it to protect their content from piracy or whatever (which doesn't work, BTW) but still...DRM is a bitch.

But yeah I agree, all that is missing is the sub version. All in all, great start.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
It cannot be overstated what a positive step this is. The red tape barrier in Japan to downloadable content is immense. That a company was finally able to bridge this gap means that everybody will have to follow suit sooner rather than later.

I wish Funimation unprecidented success in their new venture.
BelYaun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Steve Jobs is already trying to get rid of DRM so it won't stick around for very long. All in all though great step towards making anime more accessible. All that it needs is subtitles
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It's not just Apple, it's Monster Cable and Yahoo! too. Check it out:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/yahoo-monster-cable-join-antidrm-front-236243.php

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Subtitled or not, it doesn't matter to me. At least it's available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
BelYaun wrote:
Steve Jobs is already trying to get rid of DRM so it won't stick around for very long. All in all though great step towards making anime more accessible.

Well, I didn't read into that too much, but I think it's probably just wishful thinking for now. You know, like, "In an ideal world..." The media providers are too greedy to get rid of DRM.

Also, while I think the price is about right ($1.99), it's not something I'd buy. Besides the fact that I never buy things with a physical copy anyway, the resolution is too low and they are dub only. Then there are DRMs.

Still, I hope this is a good solution for a lot of people. It needs to start somewhere...
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Their show selection is an indicator of who they're targeting. It would appear that they're not (in ths first round, at least) going for the rank and file "anime fans." These are titles that will have broader appeal, but ones that mainstream audiences probably don't know about since I doubt they even glance at the anime section for longer than 10 seconds as they pass by. Sampling a $1.99 episode is a lot easier than buying a $20/30 volume blind.

At least for this week, Speed Grapher and Samurai 7 are pretty highly visible in the Store and each has little 30-second episode previews up. So perhaps this exercise will bring in some new people. Kind of like how Cowboy Bebop running on Adult Swim brought in its own share of new fans. Like jsevakis says, I'm sure this is just the first domino to fall ('least I hope it is). Someone had to make the first step. Now let's get some more in there.
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't be so sure on DRM being on its death bed. A lot of the reason, or so I've heard, that domestic anime licensors have had trouble distributing anime in an online-digital format is because the Japanese parent companies are not thrilled about the prospect of their native Japanese consumers having access to our much cheaper prices. It's part of the reason DVDs have region codes, so consumers can't screw over domestic distributors by buying much cheaper products from over seas. High quality, DRM free videos represent a bit of a threat in the minds of Japanese companies because they assume an Otaku would eventually stop paying 50 dollars USD for a 2 episode Haruhi DVD and just hold on a while and snag the same 2 episodes from iTunes for 4 bucks, assuming subtitled versions would be made available online. Presumably they wouldn't be interested in our dubs. Again, this is only speculation I've read on other sites, I've never heard an ADV rep or anything say it, so it could be totally untrue.
DKong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I wish they woulda put FMA on there...
Though, this is a big step in the right direction, $2 an ep is good, IMO.
They also need subs...<_<
forever_young

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
This definitely is a great step for anime. This will attract those people who might not buy volumes, but wouldn't feel bad about paying $2 to check out an episode.
Although this technology isn't for everyone (such as me, as I still prefer to buy the DVDs), I can only think of positives in terms of what this means for anime.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
I wish they woulda put FMA on there...

That would be awesome. It would be much, much cheaper than buying 13 DVDs. I don't care about subtitles because in most cases I usually end up liking an English dub better than the original Japanese. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of dubs that I despise, it's just that I often find it much more enjoyable to watch anime in my native tongue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting idea. Too bad the resolution is too small for something you're paying for. DVD-rip groups offer dual audio and higher resolutions (640x360 is a joke). We'll see if this affects ADV's download service...
Renocide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
It's an interesting idea. Too bad the resolution is too small for something you're paying for. DVD-rip groups offer dual audio and higher resolutions (640x360 is a joke). We'll see if this affects ADV's download service...

640x360 is great for the size of the iPod screen. I would never attempt to display ANYTHING released on the iTunes service on a standard TV(HD or SD).

This is great. My wife just got me a gift cert. for iTunes for V-Day so I have to figure out which one I am getting!
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Renocide wrote:
640x360 is great for the size of the iPod screen. I would never attempt to display ANYTHING released on the iTunes service on a standard TV(HD or SD).

This is great. My wife just got me a gift cert. for iTunes for V-Day so I have to figure out which one I am getting!

My mistake, I forgot all about the iPod video. Anime hyper But then again it can also be viewed on the PC of the person who downloaded it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3