• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mnemosyne - Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I think it's getting worse. The overarcing plot isn't being advanced by these multi-year time skips, only vaguely hinted at, and the individual episode plots are too jumbled to make any sense or be really interesting. And before anyone says "The plots not really important", I say, if they can't fill their 40 minutes with enough sex and violence to keep me distracted from the plot, they better have something to pay attention to.

I'd thought it was spoiler[Apos who kept interfering with the investigation because s/he is just evil like that. But, no, Ruon was just paranoid and jealous with little explanation as to why.] The mystery man Rin gets a phone call from that we've seen in the closing spoiler[is apparently an angel, which is little surprise, as he'd have to be immortal to be relevant, although we're going to have to get an explanation as to why there is a second type of angel that isn't insane and with a extremely short life-span. Not that his appearance this episode provided any value to the story.]

What's the deal with Laura trying to kill Rin? I wouldn't care, except the fights are getting increasingly lame. Rin tends to stand their and lets Laura beat her nearly to death.

If spoiler[Rin had been watching Teruki for so many years, why were she and Mimi so surprised when they heard his name was Maeno?]

Also, Teruki is a collosal idiot.
spoiler[Laura shows up.
Rin: Teruki, go back to the apartment.
Teruki: Okay. *leaves*
Rin and Laura fight.
Teruki: *comes back* I decided not to go back to the apartment. *sees Rin regenerating* What is wrong with you!?]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Second to last episode, and MAN!!!! Shocked

Oh yea, and the year is 2055. And interesting to note how a lot of stuff is digitized including clothing. What a future that has become! Surprised

spoiler[Ever since Rin got shredded up into a bloody pulp, it has taken decades for her to reconstruct herself. This unfortunately led her of getting amnesia. This didn't last too long thanks to the series of events involving Teruki Maeno's daughter Mishiho who's pretty a much a detective freak. Her curiosity of Rin's picture with her dad pretty much led to all this.

Couple other stuff occurred like:

- Teruki REALLY cleaned up his act and now controls a very large corporation.

- Apos's "throne" made out of naked girls. I'm still wondering what his objective is.

- And we got ourselves a 4-way yuri orgy scene courtesy of Mimi who's now a nun residing in Kyoto. Cool

- Apos is a hermaphrodite angel. Who would have thunk that?!

- RIN.....NUUUU!!!! Crying or Very sad]

Final episode will be out on July 6th!
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
I spent the first 10-15 minutes of the episode going 'Huh?', but once it all clicked the pace picked up a whole ton.

I'm curious as to spoiler[who's fruit Rin was wearing round her neck... and also how she's gonna come back from the second episode in a row of dying at the end! Apos took her fruit this time didn't he?]
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
man im behind isnt there 6 episodes for this series?? and i got done watching ep.3
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I spent the first 10-15 minutes of the episode going 'Huh?', but once it all clicked the pace picked up a whole ton.

I'm curious as to spoiler[who's fruit Rin was wearing round her neck... and also how she's gonna come back from the second episode in a row of dying at the end! Apos took her fruit this time didn't he?]

spoiler[Some speculated that fruit was Kouki's considering the fact that Apos took that out of him but later accidentally dropped it in the ocean.]
cool3865

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
so i watched episode 5 and is it just me or is this the most confusing episode.

spoiler[it was confusing till around half way through and then it made sense.

also did they ever say if dogs could become immortal??]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the dog was female and spoiler[it was imortal...well until it got killed in the last episode (evidenced by it turning to ash)] which brings up some ultra-disturbing things considering the umm...process in which the male angels spoiler[kill the females.] Confused

Man, this was a depressing episode I really hope spoiler[Rin isn't dead. If she is though I hope poor Mimi gets her revenge on the bastard. ]
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
i will say one thing, if the year 2055 looks like that, then bring it on already......the technology was great
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick.

All I really want to see now is some random Deus Ex explanation to allow Apos to be brutally tortured for the rest of the final episode and the ending to be that all the immortals he has chained up get to spend the rest of eternity torturing him, further it should be made very clear that no matter what he will never be able to escape said torture.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Urgh. That ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think this is one of those series that became progressively worse the longer it ran. At it's most basic, it was a fun watch, if a little too reliant on the nudity and gore to sell itself.... The immortality arc was far too convoluted at the end for me to really give a damn. A lot of stuff seemed to be thrown in simply for titillation and service. It's a shame, because it seemed so promising.

spoiler[And what the HECK was with the voice over in the end credits? Most Unnecessary thing, ever.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't mind the conclusion personally, not great, but not bad either it explained a lot of things.
Luxa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I've finished Mnemosyne today, thought about it for perhaps two minutes and gave it a Bad rating. (The only other show I rated this low is Dokuro-chan btw.) Then the big surprise came: apart from about 15 people, everyone rated it Decent or better, actually inow it occupies the 310th place in the best anime list. Not spectacular, but nevertheless far better than I expected or think it deserved.

This led me to re-evaluate the show, and I think I was indeed a bit hard on it. But before I rerate it, I would like your opinion, what did you like in the show, what do you think about it after the six episodes?

Naturally I share my thoughts first. I shall start with the positive side:
- I liked the Maeno family, they were pretty nice people, although spoiler[the big revelation them being descendants of the Guardian was a bit out of the blue. ]
- I liked the opening and ending songs, I shall dump the design of digital Ruon here as well.
- And I liked the worldbuilding. Not the thing with angels and immortals, but the post time-skip worlds with nice digital gadgets. We have seen it a thousand times but watching the gradual change was enjoyable nonetheless.

Now on the the dark side:
- If I anyone ever asks me to point him an anime with gratuitous nudity and sex, I won't have to think long. Mind you, I have nothing against sex and nudity as long as they have a sense in the story. (Neither am I against girls love, I even enjoyed Strawberry Panic!.) But spoiler[ nude piercing-torture, lesbian orgies with a girl who looks like she's 14 or angels who rape-eat their victims ] just for the hell of it felt contrived. And excessive clothing damage every other minute didn't help either.. .By the way spoiler[what did the angels exactly do to the dog]? Smile
- And I had problems with the story as well, for example Rin spoiler[ reconstructing herself from little bits in the ocean and miraculously finding the egg during that time.] And I think that explanations that contain the word fate are invalid. Smile Also if she could achieve that, why couldn't Laura (the red-haired one) spoiler[ reconstruct herself? If it is explained with only her head being immortal, what was the deal before she got a cybernetic body?] The rest was mostly thrown together just to shamelessly exploit the sometimes undeniable cool-factor.

So my overall opinion is not that bad as my present rating, but I'm really curious about why this show is rated that high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
the thing is these huge time skips wernt really nessisary (sp?). it killed the story that episodes 1-3 brought up.

also episodes 4-most of 6 were just plain confusing, they didn't answer alot of questions and the questions that were left got answered in a 15min time span on the last episode.

IMO they could of done alot better (mainly getting rid of those horrible time skips (altho the future did look really cool)) and continue with the story to make it less confusing.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Luxa you and I both gave it the same rating, however this being your only second bad rating you kind of answered your own question. Most people who watch anime refuse to rate what they watch as bad because no one actually wants to admit they picked a bad show to watch, and have it reflect poorly on their tastes or choices, lets call it fear of criticism. I for one rate anime based on how it relates to my top 10 favorite, and I have rated 5 anime as the worst ever. Most of the positive ratings also come from hype, when a new show comes out it usually comes out with a blast and then finds its spot a few years later on, take for example The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it was in the top 5 when it premiered and now its dropping back. If you want a better example look at Mushi-shi, its number 2 right now, and Code Geass is right behind it, but do you really think its better than Monster? So obviously this grotesque anime is just enjoying its 2 min of fame before it dies off into that abyss which is the anime graveyard.

I'll also have to disagree with your criticism and say that it really had no positive side. For everything that it put out there I can find at least 2 anime that did that and this much better. Do not be afraid to be hard on anime, your first instinct is usually your best instinct, its hype and unfounded praising that ruins anime, where animators believe what they actually did was good and keep releasing the same crap or worse. We should always demand better by never fearing to criticize, and not boosting the egos of shallow script writers and money hungry "artists" who think they know whats best for us.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
I currently have it rated "Not Really Good", which is the lowest I've given anything that I haven't finished but intend to (I'm currently stuck at episode 4). I'm inclined to think that a significant portion of the votes are from people rating on the enjoyment of the unusually high content of sex and gore. Personally, I found even the quality of this diminished quickly over the course of the series, to say nothing of the plot.

I didn't really have a problem with the time-skips themselves, as the plots of the first four episodes at least were mostly independent of each other. The stretches of time between the episodes might even have helped demonstrate Rin and Mimi's situation better had it not such a much larger leap from episode 2 to 3 than it had been between the first two episodes.

I disliked how the plot of any given episode did so little to explain itself: Rin takes some assignment, which ends up leading to something else that has an obscure connection to other angel's or immortals, and never was I properly satisfied with the explanation of what happened by the end of an episode.

Furthermore, the common threads running through all the episodes just dangling there unexplained were more irritating than intriguing to me. The other girl who kept trying to kill Rin despite both of them being immortal was pointless and removed tension and interest from their battles.

Perhaps when I get to see the final two episodes I'll have a different opinion, but from what I've heard, I doubt it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5