• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 7 Best Frenemies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Another one you forgot

Rurouni Kenshin

Himura Kenshin and Hajime Saitoh
Pezcore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
I'd choose to join Mithril from FMP, or perhaps the Kibi Defense Force from Starship Operators.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
I love Gundam, but being a grunt in one of the standard mobile suits is usually fatal. So no.

I also had to consider how I am not very good at origami, and I tend to have a problem with lackadaisical leadership, especially irresponsible captains, so I had to pick the best fit for me: Team Dai Gurran.

That team may, from time to time, spew a lot of crap. But it is crap I can really get behind! Also, the big war is spoiler[pretty much over, and the ship is mostly being used as a diplomatic vessel.] Easier job, better survival rate.

My favorite Frenemies: Jin and Mugen from Samurai Champloo!

Last edited by tuxedocat on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad Naruto and Sasuke didn't make the list. I can't consider them "frenemies" since Saskue has been refusing to admit that he has ever had friends.

Hmm, the classic frenemy pair in my mind is from good ole Archie comics: Betty and Veronica. Best friends, eternal rivals in love, and currently both married to Archie (albeit in alternative universes). Laughing

I'm only familiar with two militaries on the poll, and both are quite genocidal, so no thanks.

Although, I would consider joining the Amestris armed forces if I were a powerful alchemist who could do whatever I want and reap benefits from the resources, or if I were a brilliant office worker who could work directly under Maes Hughes. So basically, I'd join if I were Izumi or Sheska. Cool
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's included Shinji Ikari and Kaworu Nagisa . . .

I would just consider Kaworu a guy whose in love with Shinji.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
I was hoping to see Brandon Heat and Harry McDowell. It's weird how a couple "not quite frienemies" make it onto the list, while so many more famous ones don't even get an honorable mention.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
I voted for Macross Frontier, but I would have liked to see the Abh Empire from Banner Of The Stars and Mithril from Full Metal Panic! on the list too.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
aww, when I clicked on the military poll I was hoping for the Keron military (Keroro Gunso/Sgt. Frog). oh well XD

fun list as usual. Seeing Ryoga and Ranma made me kinda happy XD
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
R.G. wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's included Shinji Ikari and Kaworu Nagisa . . .

I would just consider Kaworu a guy whose in love with Shinji.

Yeah, are you referring to the manga verison where Kawrou is the villain because he was sort of the love martyr in the TV series (and my favorite character).

Let's see 'friendly-enemies'...Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura, anyone? For rivals, they get along pretty well~
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
All the armies I know on that poll have 'evil' purposes, so I'm not going to vote this time.

Cute to see Ranma and Ryoga up there but I'm surprised there's no Naruto and Sasuke.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
What about Yuki and Kyo from Fruits Basket?
Devavrata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Second that.

Two others of mine.

Amuro Ray and Char Aznable (Enemy in Mobile Suit Gundam, Friends in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Enemy again in Char's Counterattack).

Isamu Alva Dyson and Guld Goa Bowman (Macross Plus)

Wrathful wrote:
Another one you forgot

Rurouni Kenshin

Himura Kenshin and Hajime Saitoh
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Voted Dai-Gurren Dan. It seems the one where the mooks are most likely to survive, and I have no illusion of ending up as anything other than a mook.

MrTerrorist wrote:
Mahora is 4th? Silly voters, Mahora is one giant amusement park while the top three are not.

I guess it's partly because people aren't as familiar with the manga as the anime, and the anime version is fairly normal. I get Fumizuki Academy being second (how can you not love a school that integrates an augmented reality video game as part of its curriculum?), although Cromartie, I think people choose more for its student body, maybe? And its apparent lack of teachers (they exist, but they're pretty much older versions of the students). But the school itself is pretty normal, except with lower standards than most.

Mahora Academy, however, is ridiculous. It's not just a high school. It's not even just pre-school through university. It's an entire city. It has the resources to facilitate pretty much any extra-curricular activity you could dream of. The university robotics club develops fully functional mechs and self-aware androids. The school library is practically an RPG dungeon, and its so large that there is a club dedicated to exploring and mapping it. And these aren't even exclusive to people who know about magic; these are muggle activities. The school festival is so massive that the previous years climactic event, a game of hide-and-seek, got out of hand. When the heroes recruit the festival attendees to participate in a "mock" battle against an army of robots, the students only treat the event as slightly unusual.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Tamaki and Rin in Bamboo Blade...

It's not anime, but the best "frenemies" I can think of are Professor X and Magneto.
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Voted for the Earth federation in the poll. Bit surprised that the JSDF from Neon Genesis Evangelion didn't make the cut, but then again they were constantly getting their butts kicked. Their only shinning moment was in EOE. NERV doesn't count, it's a special branch of the UN that is paramilitary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4