• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Electronic Dragonball Scouter, Wristbands Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
It's over 9000,was funny.It's too bad that particular dub is gone.That's the old dubbing,before Funimation picked it up.Vegeta's voice now,doesn't match the old (ocean group,I think)dubbing.Vegeta had such a great yell.My favorite is the scene is on Namek,where Vegeta powers up before fighting Recoom.That yell makes your hair stand on end.I have compared all of the dubs.The ocean dub,the Funimation dub,the Funimation redux,and the digitally enhanced box set(with both English and Japanese).Side by side,synced together.The ocean dub still puts them all to shame.

The edits Ocean and Funimation did,were insane.Switching important scenes(entire scenes)around,editing meanings that take away from story,hilarious.Both companies had different ideas of what to edit.

If you pick up the new enhanced box set,looking for that voice clip,you will be disappointed.I think its obvious,its gone now.I don't want to be a further buzzkill,but "It's over 9000"is in the dub only.It's not exciting in the Japanese version,and Funimation's dub wasn't stellar either.

These wrist bands are cool and I like the scouter but Bandai should have brought out some of their stand alone,interactive games from Japan.There is one fans would love,that had you strap on wrist bands and actually fight (First person)Nappa and Vegeta.Swatting away Ki blasts,charging up and firing Kamehame-ha waves.All in a wii style motion.
504NOSON

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
oh yes,i would most definitely cop the scouter,it's one of the coolest artifacts from the DB series(that and the dragon radar Smile ).Im a DB/Z/GT otaku,have been since about 98 or so,it's the greatest anime around,so all u db haters can go phuck urselves with Son Goku's power poll.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Hilarious joke = repeating a tired catchphrase over and over and over and over again
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
The funniest thing is, wasn't it actually "Over 8000" in Japanese? I wonder why they amped it up for the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yes, what I read was that it actually was 8000 in the Japanese. But that "over" may or may not be 9000. It could be. The only one who probably really knows would be creator Akira Toriyama. 504NOSON, I agree Dragonball is the best anime around. BTW, for argument sakes, I am a dub and sub fan.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
"Over 9000!" is just popular (re: overdone) because of that video. My personal favorite angry Vegeta moment by Brian Drummond was when he was on Namek and he realized Gohan had stolen his Dragonball and he screamed out "You won't escape my WRAAAATH!"

This probably isn't a big enough error for anyone to even care about, but in the description where it says Gokuu uses the phrase, "Minna no genki o aura ni wakete kure!" while doing the Genki Dama, it shouldn't be 'aura', but 'ora'. He's not using the English word 'aura', he's using the country bumpkin version of 'ore', which is 'ora.'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2