• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sending out an SOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Kyon avoided being this protagonist by having a bit of a snarky wit in the TV series. This is pretty much completely absent from what I recall of the movie, and his character suffered tremendously as a result.

He is totally snarky for the first 15 to 20 minutes, until the inciting incident takes place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TMoHS material that is free of Kyon-snark sounds a lot like heaven to me. That drip is one of my least favourite characters of all time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

I love Crispin Freeman as Kyon in the dub, but I hated Wendee Lee as Haruhi. Something is wrong with Lee's tone, and I ended up switching back to the Japanese for scenes involving Haruhi

That's too bad--I thought Wendee turned in as solid a performance as Crispin. In fact, the whole cast did.

It's apparent that the movie's length wasn't so bothersome to you, and it's such a relief to find out that I'm not alone in that. I sat through it just fine, and if it had been any shorter, even by just fifteen minutes, at best it would've only been three-quarters as breathtaking and emotionally powerful as it was. A masterful culmination of the series's story, even though there's more story to cover in the novel series.

SO did I. In fact Most people liked Lee's Role as Haruhi. Though there are times the ham job is a little over the top even for a dub pursuit like myself, I think she was meant to play a Haruhi. Her or at least Bailey since Bang Zoon was doing the dub, though for the entire series at first i was kinda expecting New Generation to do the dub. Kinda glag BZ got the job instead.

Kyon however leaves something to be desired. some people think Kyon was miscast and JYB should have played Kyon instead of that other guy.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with you that it's hard to watch Videl get beat up and nobody tried to stop it which is the worst part.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
I have to agree with you that it's hard to watch Videl get beat up and nobody tried to stop it which is the worst part.

That I agree about the Tournament arc. I though it was cause that she is Mr Satan's daughter,that or the creator dont like mr satan or his family.

but that was brutal. at least it was not mr satan cause i thinked ABSOLUTELY NO ONE WOULD HAVE HELPED HIM!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Facebook or some sort of social media. Or searching a phone book (if your next retort is that social media isn't around in Kyon's world) would also have been a pretty good thing to do.

While your point does make sense, given the circumstances in the movie, his actions were completely logical. For one, there was no indication that Haruhi still existed in the world. To Kyon, it is as if her existence has completely vanished, what with the reappearance of Asakura and Mikuru, Yuki and Tsuruya completely forgetting who he is. Not to mention, he was in a complete state of utter panic and confusion. I myself wouldn't be calm enough to think of such realistic methods, given the very unrealistic occurrences.

...and honestly speaking, Social Media aside, which not everyone uses (I don't), does anyone still use phone books in this day and age?

Megiddo wrote:
I ask you then to list the things that Kyon attempted to resolve the problem. Because if you saw something that I missed, I would like to hear it.

He checked everything SOS Dan related, and found out that everything led to a dead end. He asked everyone around him about Haruhi, but no one seem to know about her. He went to seek the help of all the SOS Dan members, but they all treated him like a stranger.

Even after he got the clue from Yuki, it was so vague that it is not surprising that he was completely stumped as to what to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3