• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Anime DVDs Were Down 20%+ in 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Well... Hundreds of millions of dollars IS a lot of money. And the sales of anime DVDs are only down 20%. Not exactly good news, but not exactly "sky is falling news."

2007 sales are down more than 20%. Moreoever, the drop comes after the 25% drop between 2003 and 2006. In other words, sales are down at least 40% since 2003, with the drop accelerating in 2007.

https://www.dot-anime.us/blog/industry/index.php?type=leaf&val=13
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So allow me to get this into my head. According to ICv2's "most popular anime/manga" list, Dragonball Z is STILL number one?

Inconceivable.

Who is still buying the DVDs? Or am I confusing "top property" with high DVD sales (though what else could they mean?)?

And the Pokemon Manga is ranked higher than Full Metal Alchemist? Sure, Pokemon is popular among children, a big market. But what child would get the Manga? Small children cannot read well, and have short attention spans. Therefore, they flock to the animated medium. Until I read that page I didn't even know there WAS a Pokemon Manga. I have seen short novels (covering an episode each), but Pokemon Manga in North America?

Oh dear, my blood pressure is rising......

Emerje makes a good point, in that the average episode count per disk has increased. Rumbling Hearts fit fourteen episodes onto three disks, saving me the cost of one (possibly two) disks. I can definitely see how that would lessen the money made per series.

As to the issue of fansubs, now might not be the best time to discuss them. All I am going to say is that I have no sympathy for those who release Anime two YEARS after it initially airs on Japanese television. Even Star Wars didn't take that long to get around the world, and that was back in the 70s. I would be willing to wait two months, and I might not even care if it is dubbed or not. But when I see Gundam 00 R2 DVDs already being released, when the show is still running, and knowing that those same episodes will not reach the stores in my hometown until 2010...... I get annoyed, to put it mildly.

I had better calm down, or else I might blow a gasket (or the human equivalent).
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So allow me to get this into my head. According to ICv2's "most popular anime/manga" list, Dragonball Z is STILL number one?

Inconceivable.

Who is still buying the DVDs? Or am I confusing "top property" with high DVD sales (though what else could they mean?)?

Conceivable. Dragon Ball Z had chart-topping DVD sales last year. The season box sets were big sellers for Funimation last year, and still are. Check out the Amazon Bestsellers list, and at least one DBZ box is in the top five, if not #1. As great as the sales were last year, imagine the bump they'll get this year with the live-action film.

Quote:
All I am going to say is that I have no sympathy for those who release Anime two YEARS after it initially airs on Japanese television. Even Star Wars didn't take that long to get around the world, and that was back in the 70s. I would be willing to wait two months, and I might not even care if it is dubbed or not. But when I see Gundam 00 R2 DVDs already being released, when the show is still running, and knowing that those same episodes will not reach the stores in my hometown until 2010...... I get annoyed, to put it mildly.

I had better calm down, or else I might blow a gasket (or the human equivalent).

"Even Star Wars"? Uh, that implies that people don't expect Hollywood blockbuster summer films to be released worldwide nearly simultaneously, but most people do. Hollywood can afford to put out simultaneous worldwide marketing, and have done so for years before Star Wars.

On the other hand, most non-Disney, non-Two-syllable-mon anime are less like Hollywood blockbusters and more like French or Italian television series or films which get an English release much later, if at all. At least British television series like The Office or Doctor Who are already in English. If people aren't blowing gaskets over the long wait for English releases of European television series, what makes Japanese anime series different?
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Inconceivable.

And the Pokemon Manga is ranked higher than Full Metal Alchemist? Sure, Pokemon is popular among children, a big market. But what child would get the Manga? Small children cannot read well, and have short attention spans. Therefore, they flock to the animated medium. Until I read that page I didn't even know there WAS a Pokemon Manga. I have seen short novels (covering an episode each), but Pokemon Manga in North America?

Oh dear, my blood pressure is rising......

Apparently; kids go for the bragging, muscle-flexing, steroid-induced, wisecracking, OVER-9000 type of anime.

But hey. Just as long as the alternatives are out there, we shouldn't worry about it that much.

Besides: You'll be amazed with what young kids can learn in this day and age. I have a couple of nephews and a niece who are more outgoing and articulate than me. Cool _=
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
There are other factors to consider in bringing the sales numbers down. The push towards more episodes per DVD means fewer volumes are being made for each series. Where before it wasn't uncommon to have eight volumes per series we're now averaging six volumes on several 26 (or so) episode titles. Then there's the bulk discount that's being given to b&m stores like Best Buy and net stores like Deep Discount. It's good for us consumers, but doesn't look good in numbers.

Emerje

However, the big switch from 8 to 6 happened back in 2003 or so. 2006 and 2007 both saw 6 disc releases as the norm. I'm not thinking the bulk discount has changed either - in fact it might be less. since more and more more DVDs at BB are $25 instead of $20 like they used to be.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Fansubs!

Hell, groups should start charging; could've made a cool $100 mil.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Thank you Fansubs!

Hell, groups should start charging; could've made a cool $100 mil.

Just a heads-up, I'm not going to allow this thread to turn into Raging Angry Fansub Debate #2184375-A, so let's keep the ridiculous, purposefully incendiary comments to a minimum, OK? Any more posts like this will be considered trolling.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Sky is falling, word is ending, etc.

Of course DVD sales are going to be down a lot when an entire company goes under (Geneon). The rest of it probably is following the general DVD market downturn. However, none of us are really qualified to speak on why the sales are down so I find these threads kind of funny, even if I decide to give my two cents.
Strephon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Inconceivable.

4 of the top 25 items in the Amazon anime DVD category right now are DBZ boxed sets. (The only series with similar coverage is Naruto.) So, yes, someone is buying them.

Quote:

Again, going by sales (which is what the article says the listing is based on), "The Best of Pokemon Adventures: Red" and "Yellow" are rated significantly higher at Amazon than any of the volumes of FMA. The less popular one, "Red," is number 27,000, while the most recent volume of FMA is #34,808 and the volume closest in release date to the Pokemon volumes has fallen to #124,751. Again, someone is buying them.

Bear in mind that ICv2 is a site aimed at retailers with comics and game stores. The purpose of these lists isn't to show which series have the most buzz among otaku or the most approval from the online community; it's to tell retailers what the highest and most consistent sellers are, so they can stock them in their shops to bring in customers. (There's also an emphasis on series with a large amount of associated merchandise over standalones; Paprika, to name one example, might be selling well at the moment, but a retailer can't stock their store heavily with Paprika-related merchandise the way they can with DBZ.)

They're also aimed at bringing in new business from those who like a certain property (or their parents) but aren't aware of what else is available that they might enjoy, rather than at the fanboys who already buy everything that's out there. And as the Amazon sales figures show, what sells in large numbers to the general public doesn't necessarily overlap with what the online otaku community thinks is (or should be) popular. Just because you don't read/watch it or know anyone who does doesn't mean that it doesn't sell.
Kyokat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
When you all ask "anime fandom is increasing, so why aren't anime sales," are you sure by anime fandom you don't really mean manga fandom? Because manga's doing just fine, and I know a lot of manga fans who have no interest in DVDs but they do attend conventions.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, this has sort of been the writting on the wall now for some time. But 20% in one year is massive. Surely this did(or didn't, tired on my end, sorry) take into account Geneon's collapse. Even so it shouldn't surprise anyone, even with all factors taken into account, a downturn was still expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
calimike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
You part blame for free download/stream anime from fansubs... end of discuss. Evil or Very Mad Devil fool you, isn't he? Twisted Evil
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
You part blame for free download/stream anime from fansubs... end of discuss. Evil or Very Mad Devil fool you, isn't he? Twisted Evil

I was trying to decipher this message so I ran it through Babelfish, first into Japanese and then back into English, hoping to glean some meaning.

I got this:
Quote:
Fansubs... the part which discusses the responsibility for anime of free download/stream from end. The idiot of demon, so the shank?

Question
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Nope, fansubs are not to blame. Nope, not one bit. It's all down to the incompetance of the NA companies and I'm going to book a flight on the next pig to Texas to give them a piece of my mind.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
(Off topic)Our Suncoast stores here in Vegas,are just now closing down.I would buy a lot of anime from there.The familiars are disappearing.

Our suncoast closed years ago. I didn't buy from them because they were so marked up in price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4