• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Genesis Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
lots of presumably-awesome techie stuff

Yeah, I don't have any of those devices. I live pretty simply. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Chihayafuru and Hunter X Hunter on the list; they're my favorites this season. I dropped all the other shows on the list, especially Un-Go and Guilty Crown. I had such high hopes for them but I was disappointed.

Actually, I really like Kimi to Boku even though the first episode, indeed, was terrible but I'll continue watching.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the idea for this column is great, I really look forward to it. I always wish that the Anime Preview guides went an episode or two longer and this column feels like an extension of the preview guides. Unless they are really awful I prefer to give shows a minimum of 4 episodes to watch. I think a column like this will help me weed out the undesirables.

Chihayafuru is so far my favorite show of the season, it keeps me coming back for more because it looks great, Chihaya is surprisingly a believable character, and it feels like little pieces of the drama are slowly being revealed. I hope they can keep it up.

Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) are tied for second. Fate is straight up fun and Mirai Nikki (since I've already read the manga) will screw with you in a fun way.

I've dropped Persona 4, Horizon, Samurai Girls, Kimi to Boku, Maken-ki!, and everything else is borderline or too early to tell.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Great idea for a column! I haven't caught all of these yet, but of the ones I have, Bamboo hit the nail on the head for the most part, though I am close to dropping Un-Go, I will try to watch a couple more episodes before doing that. I have to give Noitamina shows the benefit of the doubt if they don't thrill me at first...

My favorites so far are Chihayafuru, Last Exile, Future Diary, Haganai, and Guilty Crown. It is hard to say what order they are in...

Chihayafuru - seems like an extremely good slice of lifer with fantastic characters and character designs.

Last Exile: Fam - has that nostalgia thing going for it, plus is looks like a decent story building. As for it not being a sequel, I think you're wrong. The character list has several of the original series characters in it and one of them is already there. spoiler[I think one of those "moons", and the Turan people, account for our group from the original show.] It already has improved in a big way on the original series: It explained what exactly 'Exile' is and how it got where it is! That is a big plus story wise!

Guilty Crown - I will just quote from my review of the first episode to explain my feelings about this show:
Quote:
The story is practically non-existent at this point, or at least incomprehensible. But that.just.doesn't.matter! It is full of hard-rockin' action with pretty babes and dashing young heros and mechas and dark, moody scenery worthy of the greats of the genre like Blade Runner, Dark City, Metropolis, and 12 Monkeys. Plus, they have 10 more episodes to tell you their "story". This isn't going to be some kind of episodic, battle-of-the-week plodder! It is a Sci-Fi epic action thriller with plenty of eye candy and, in the end, most likely a good story to go with the crunchy, tasty visuals and chart-topping soundtrack! Rather than talk about who's who and what's what in the first episode, isn't it much better to rock out with some serious mecha action and get your blood pumping? Doesn't that make you want to tune in next week?

I thought so...

So far, that impression has not changed. If anything, it has been strengthened. Sure, it is using cliche elements to build its story, but it is using them well. The end of episode 3 was a twist I didn't see, and I eagerly await what I expect to be a non-stop action episode 4!

Future Diary - This is a nice twisted show! I like it so far...

Haganai - Harem hi-jinks with a bit of a wicked side... The characters seem good and it is funny so far.

Last edited by zensunni on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a long article. This looks like a major undertaking, although I imagine it will get easier as the list is whittled down.

It seems sort of like a continuation of the preview guides, which is cool.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo always does good columns, will enjoy reading these!
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I heartily approve of this new column. Bamboo, please don't burn out on this!
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
ANN is doing a great job at staying on top of the way anime is being consumed these days with this new column, such a great idea.

This is an extremely helpful guide to all the simulcasts that are currently showing and I look forward to reading more of your reviews, Bamboo. Great work and look forward to more!
m0x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru and Fate/Zero are my tops for the season.

And like a few others, I didn't mind the rabble from Fate's first episode... given that I played the original VN and watched Fate/Stay Night, I found the conversations rather fitting.

And about Guilty Crown.

I'm guilty. So far I'm watching it for the visuals. Thinking about it as an investment; hopefully the show will go somewhere soon.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every season, there are a dozen new simulcasts. And every season, only a handful of them turn out to be gems. The others turn out to be royal stinkers. With all of life's hectic craziness, who has the energy to sort through all of them? Me. I'm here to watch all the simulcasts so that you can avoid all the duds and go straight to the ones with star potential.

While the format's good, why not just call it Bamboo's streaming reviews? The entire premise is pretty off-putting when the whole column is made to seem as something definitive. If anything I'd encourage people to watch all shows and make the decisions themselves, unless you already know your sentiments/personality/opinions matches Bamboo's.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Chihayafuru, but I can't get past the feeling of being manipulated by it. I don't find myself thinking "yay - today is Chihayafuru day".

Can't watch streaming, so not sure what is actually available ...

Of the current season, there have been a few that have really surprised me (in a good way).

Things I was pretty sure I would like, and do:

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
Fate/Zero
Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam
Shakugan no Shana Final
Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl)

Things that I though might last 1-2 episodes, but I'm enjoying - these were the real surprises:

Ben-to
C3 (I'm getting a slight Elfen Leid vibe about this but I suspect that will reduce as the show progresses)
Guilty Crown

Things I had no preconceptions about, and am enjoying:

Chibi Devi!
Chihayafuru
Hunter X Hunter
Mirai Nikki
Phi Brain - Kami no Puzzle
Tamayura ~hitotose~
UN-GO

Things that have been in the "give it another week or two" basket every week:

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!!
Mashiro Iro Symphony

Things I thought might be OK, but am probably going to drop:

Persona 4

Things that I thought were probably going to be dropped, and are probably going to be dropped:

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Things that I thought were probably going to be complete crap, and are complete crap (dropped):

Maken-Ki!

Things I never even bothered to watch due to no interest whatsoever:

Everything else.
al505

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic! Thank you for this! If I may make a suggestion, would you please indicate from where these shows are being streamed? This would be the icing on the cake and since they are designated as "Fall 2011" shows, the problem that Zac pointed out to me about streaming contracts being decidedly not "forever" in an earlier forum post would not apply (I don't believe). I just think that pointing out the streaming source would be beneficial to those who partake in such venues.

On a side note, I am a big fan of your articles and I will enjoy your new endeavor!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Last Exile: Fam - has that nostalgia thing going for it, plus is looks like a decent story building. As for it not being a sequel, I think you're wrong.

The reason I don't count it as a direct sequel is because of something that the director said at AX. He was adamant in pointing out that Fam takes place on a different world, and follows a different side story, although there is an intersection of characters.

I guess it depends on your definition of "sequel." Technically, since they're in the same franchise, Fam could be considered a sequel. But I personally never saw it as one.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
al505 wrote:
This is fantastic! Thank you for this! If I may make a suggestion, would you please indicate from where these shows are being streamed?

If you click on the title of the show (in the main column, not the sidebar) or on the image, it should take you directly to the series page for that simulcast.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Great idea for a new column. Thanks Bamboo!

configspace wrote:
If anything I'd encourage people to watch all shows and make the decisions themselves, unless you already know your sentiments/personality/opinions matches Bamboo's.

Not everyone has that kind of free time, which is why reviewers are such a valuable resource.

Since I know from experience that I can trust Bamboo's opinion to mostly sync with my own (although I think she's a lot more forgiving than I am) I find this kind of article very helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12