• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Genesis Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
For me, these iyashikei shows have appeal. I would probably put Kimi to Boku in that category.

I guess it is because my job, which can be rather demanding, makes me like the escapism depicted in shows like this where everyone is kind to each other, and the setting is beautiful.
Otaku-Nist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where does mirai nikki and ben-to will be ranked Confused
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
kolestloseruknow wrote:
what more do you expect out of a slice of life?

Life.
sburstall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I actually think Kimi to Boku is kind of sweet. I'm enjoying it. It's not bad, though I doubt I will be thinking much about it after its run.

I wish it had a little more substance. The K-ON girls had a band, at least. Confused

I wonder if the appeal is supposed to be its voice actors, and how it will sell in Japan?
I like Kimi to Boku also. I don't need to see mechas, gore or even panty shots most of the time. I know some people have a problem with an anime about good friends without it going yaoi.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-Nist wrote:
I wonder where does mirai nikki and ben-to will be ranked Confused

Ben-to won't be ranked, as it has no simulcast, at least not one that I have heard of or is listed on its page.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I strongly agree that Chihayafuru is a winner. My only concern is that the anime will end before the manga and we'll never find out how things are resolved. Oh well. It looks like it will be a fun ride.

In defense of Kimi to Boku, I watch it for the same reason I watch shows like Aria or Hidamari Sketch. It's visual Prozac. Sure, watching paint dry is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it's really nice after a rough day at work.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Technically I dropped Chihayafuru in favor of Kimi to Boku, because I needed to see what the negative hype was about with it. I liked it, but now that I'm all caught up with it, I'll continue watching Chihayafuru since that was the Fall series I was most highly anticipating.

And I think Kimi to Boku is a show that could appeal to lots of people.
Appeals to Guys: because it's slice-of-life but without girly stuff all the time, stuff guys could identify with because well, they're guys.
Appeals to Girls: because it's is essentially a Lucky Star for "the other half" and is pseudo-realistic in how guys are sensitive or emotional sometimes, just like in Lucky Star how girls are aggressive or nerdy sometimes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Appeals to Guys: because it's slice-of-life but without girly stuff all the time, stuff guys could identify with because well, they're guys.

Machines, sports, or girls.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Past wrote:

There is sports (one of the twins is gifted athlete but has no inclination to participate) and a few girls (one who likes Shun and Shizuna who's Kaname's childhood female friend). Okay, not much in the way of machines/mecha but two out of three isn't a bad thing. Wink
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I am eagerly awaiting the next column. Anime smallmouth
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Past wrote:

There is sports (one of the twins is gifted athlete but has no inclination to participate) and a few girls (one who likes Shun and Shizuna who's Kaname's childhood female friend). Okay, not much in the way of machines/mecha but two out of three isn't a bad thing. Wink
Why does it seem like both enurtsol and sburstall are responding to someone else's post yet they quoted my post???
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
Late reply, but it was a great read. Really looking forward to the next installment! (And honestly, I think the once per two weeks deal is for the best. It's probably more fair to reassess the shows in two episode chunks.)

Bamboo's opinions have often tended to be fairly close to mine, so it's great to see her giving more coverage again. I owe my favorite anime show to persuasion from a Shelf-Life review, and this column might finally be the thing that wins me over into trying Chihayafuru.

Kirkdawg wrote:
Another review that piqued my interest is Persona 4...it just reminds me so much of Pokemon by episode 4 I just end up laughing at this show more then taking it's more serious themes seriously.

Honestly... The Persona 4 game really is a lot like Pokemon cross-bred with a dating sim (friend-making sim?). But, much like the actual Pokemon games, is still quite fun.

Curious to see how it'll do in the next review, now that it's taken a bit of a side step from character collecting.
fstony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm only watching Chihaya right now, so it was great to have my decision confirmed. On the other hand, the negative reviews of Kimi to boku have sparked my curiosity. I think I'll have to see an episode sometime.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
fstony wrote:
I'm only watching Chihaya right now, so it was great to have my decision confirmed. On the other hand, the negative reviews of Kimi to boku have sparked my curiosity. I think I'll have to see an episode sometime.
I enjoyed Kimi to Boku so far because it was nice to see a twist in the slice-of-life genre with the way in which the main characters are portrayed. I don't see how these boys would be considered dull like the reviewer claims. Their character development is a little slow but because they are male perhaps it's better for setting the scenery since socialization between girls tends to be more hyperactive while, as portrayed realistically, the boys focus more on their sense of self.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
C^3 initially got a bad rep from most of the reviewers because the first episode didn't really have any substance to it, and was just some pantyshots and Fear being cute eating rice crackers and attempting to clean up the house.

Fortunately the later episodes throw in a good helping of plot and action which makes things much more interesting. The continuing weird aurora-styled art and funky music are also nice.

I have high hopes for the new Last Exile series, and so far it's been good. Vastly improved CGI from Studio Gonzo, epic ship battles, great music, you name it. The series is somewhat lighter in tone than the first series, and there is some very brief and very mild fanservice scattered here and there, but that doesn't bother me too much.

However, it feels like there's... something missing? Something still hasn't clicked for me. Maybe because I can't seem to fully relate to the main characters or something. Otherwise, the series is great in all other respects.

Will be nice to read the next post, whenever that will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12