• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Editorial Director Gary Steinman Leaves ADV's PiQ Mag

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
perhaps he knows something we don't and decided the sooner the better to get out, I wish ADV would say something, even if ADV comes out ok all these events and their desire to say absolutely nothing is going to leave a permanent mark in my lack of faith it them.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The magazzine hasn' even launched yet and it already lost it's editor?

That doesn't give me too much confidence on this thing... which I already hate, so, I don't care that much Anime hyper
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't really blame him... the country's premier anime magazine now nothing but another faceless geek pop-culture magazine... we've all lost a lot of heart over this, so is it really surprising that the editor is bailing?

I still remember seeing the tenative cover... it had a blurb for a Tim & Eric article... I crired.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
They can't compete with Play magazine anyways. <shrug>
feytaline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They can't compete with Play magazine anyways. <shrug>

That's because it looks like the same damn THING as Play and every other 'alternative entertainment' magazine. ;( Yeah, yeah, I'm doing the same thing I hate, dissing something before giving it a chance, but honestly, nothing about this magazine appeals to me. I don't want to spend money for a quarter section on anime when maybe 25% of that is going to be anime I enjoy.

However, I'm totally disagreeing with all the 'doom and gloom ADV IS DEAD' prophesies here. A magazine is not like a newspaper where you're writing up to the very last second, I'm willing to bet that most of PiQ is finished already. He chose to leave AFTER the issue was pretty much on its way to print.

So why on earth CAN'T it be for just what he said--personal reasons? He stuck around long enough to do his job, and left late enough to not cause instant panic--although anime fans keeping track of the industry are already panicking over everything anyways (this be case in point, yar).

I'm not denying that ADV is having issues right now, but not EVERYTHING has to be a tell tale sign of its eminent demise.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is good news for the anime, and they'll spend the money on keeping Kanon going.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite understanding where you all get this ADV...worry from? I read the article they pulled certain titles off their site too, but maybe i'm just not worried? What makes you think they need to put that money towards kanon?

ADV seemed to be doing good on sales and picking up lisecnes last year. Unlike Geneon who well. Seem to pick up a lot of niche titles.

But my questions aside- PiQ seems to be a knock off mag. I'll try it out when it (hopefully) hits shelves.

Just because the guy wants to move doesn't mean he's bailing because of ADV's so called "demise".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully everyone is wrong but in the Kanon 2 thread it seems that no one has been able to get a copy of the 2nd volume despite it was supposed to be released this week. I put Kanon 2 on an order among 4 other things, so I expected it later but.... usually amazon will split the order if it's over the 30$ limit and they didn't this time.

Can anyone confirm that they have a copy of Kanon 2 which was released this week? That'd go along way towards eliminating my fears personally.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Well, hopefully everyone is wrong but in the Kanon 2 thread it seems that no one has been able to get a copy of the 2nd volume despite it was supposed to be released this week. I put Kanon 2 on an order among 4 other things, so I expected it later but.... usually amazon will split the order if it's over the 30$ limit and they didn't this time.

Can anyone confirm that they have a copy of Kanon 2 which was released this week? That'd go along way towards eliminating my fears personally.

I just read Robert's weekly newsletter from RACS, and none of the Feb 12th releases have shipped yet. So far, the only news is that nothing is cancelled, and that the volumes will be shipping "soon". He also added that ADV says to keep taking orders as usual. The only question is what "soon" means.

I'm patient. I've got my orders in and as soon as RACS gets them, a few days later my copy of Kanon vol 2+box will be here. Oh, and 5cm will probably be late too. Sad
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I can't really blame him... the country's premier anime magazine now nothing but another faceless geek pop-culture magazine...

Which we can all confirm since we've read it, right?

Steinman will be missed but I think it's unfair to completley dismiss the magazine before it's even hit the stands. Don't get me wrong, I loved Newtype, and I'll miss reading it. Yet I'll wait and see what this magazine has to offer before I request a refund from ADV.
sifth_ster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I just read Robert's weekly newsletter from RACS, and none of the Feb 12th releases have shipped yet. So far, the only news is that nothing is cancelled, and that the volumes will be shipping "soon". He also added that ADV says to keep taking orders as usual. The only question is what "soon" means.

I'm patient. I've got my orders in and as soon as RACS gets them, a few days later my copy of Kanon vol 2+box will be here. Oh, and 5cm will probably be late too. Sad

thanks for the info, but could you please give a link to where you got it from
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Are people really saying that the magazine is so bad the editor had to leave? He gave a reason for leaving and it makes total sense. He probably had a taste of how his new job was going to be with making the first issue, and decided that trying to launch a new magazine was not fitting in with his life plans, thus leaving when he did.

As someone else pointed out, magazines are planned much further ahead of time than other print media, so they probably finished most of the editorial work on the magazine a while ago. So the timeline would be that he quit after the first issue was done, although to us it looks like he is quitting before the magazine was completed just because we don't get the finished product as soon as it is finished.

I am still going to pick up the first issue, even though the target male demographic is the only thing that scares me. The thing that appeals to me most is that it's apparently not going to be exactly like Newtype USA and that it is for less hardcore anime fans.
magera83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well he left for personal reasons, which we all know could mean anything. But why continue discussing his reasons when the focus should move towards who is his replacement and really how the structure of this magazine will hold; or better, for how long hehe. I dont mean to be a pessemistic; I've been a holder of Newtype for just over four years. I now have a 2 year subscription with PiQ, but I may let it only last for one.

While I disagree with AVD and their choices in reformatting (i.e reversing reading style, size cut-down, no dvd, and the possible downplay of anime/manga content, what Newtype was all about), it was most likely the cause of financial issues. I'll give this new magazine a shot. But if it craps out within 5 issues for me then Im cancling.

But I digress from the issue which is being discussed. Gary Steinman left. He was a great man who worked hard for a reputable and respectable anime magazine. To me one of the best. But he has chosen to move on and I respect that choice for whatever reason it may be. I hope he does well in California. We'll see what content is in this issue. Im sure there may be his 'last hoorah' editorial or final word before he left ADV. But if not, he hightailed it before the magazine end crashed hehe.

And to add on with people fearing that ADV is going to crash: I doubt it. If the magazine goes down the tube like their network, it could just allow greater funds to improve dubbing and pick up more shows to produce. While sales were not great last year, they were across the board for most companies so they will be fine.
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the best part of this news flash was the fact that "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!" will not be covered in the first issue. I think that show sucks and how anyone thinks anything about it could be print worthy for a magazine is beyond me.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting sign. Even before the magazine comes out, there's this big development. I wonder what this means for the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4