• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Zombie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Is anybody been reading ComiPress' Manga Zombie lately? I just discovered it yesterday and I was completely fascinated. Since I'm always looking for things that are sightly different than the norm I was quite intrigued by the premise and having now read most of the articles that are out I can fully recommend a look to anybody that wants to know more about the history of manga (covered in the preface) and gekiga (especially the later). So does it warrants a discussion, I'm up for it, how about you?

Ps: Here's the link, http://comipress.com/special/manga-zombie
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
I've been following Manga Zombie for a while now and eagerly look forward to new installments - it's fascinating stuff. And legally free to boot. How often does that happen?

I think the first three paragraphs of the preface to the Japanese edition should be enough for most people to decide whether or not they're going to enjoy Udagawa Takeo's writing:

Quote:
Burn manga. Especially Eighties manga on.
Burn these pre-programmed comics that have been churned out ever since manga turned into a business. Burn these bastard things conceived in boardrooms and born as products.

For example, love stories that go on...and oon... and ooon...and oooon.
Burn them. Stories about heroes beating the odds through sheer grit and friendship. Burn them.
'Interactive' stories swinging any way the reader surveys tell them:
Burn. Them. All.

Come out of the grave, manga!
Screaming and streaming blood and sweat, pages spattered with artist's crazed flesh, manga that grab and throw you deep into the warped and fucked-up pit of the artist's mind itself. And leave you there.
To live it. And manga, staggering on their very last legs, drawn so the artists could eat one more day.
Come back. All is forgiven.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is likely that the majority of today's fan would be alienated by reading what the author as to say about their favorite manga, considering what's popular in the mainstream fandom. That's why I'm still pretty surprised that this kind of book is being translated at all and in the U.S. no less! I'd pay a lot to get a hardcover version of this.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
I think it's being translated as a labour of love but, I agree, I would certainly want to buy it if anybody ever decided to release it as a physical book. I'm not sure how big a market there would be for it but I'd hope the sort of people who buy Frederik L Schodt's stuff would buy this too so it could be viable from a small publisher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1