• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
will anyone get mad and try to call me out if I don't respond to Steroid or is that OK

It's ok Zac, really, it's just that you responded directly to me and didn't respond afterward. Thanks for the post. I appreciate the clarification.

I am a poor writer, but also I tend to try to give my full point of view every single time so people like you don't come along and misrepresent me. That's why it is kind of frustrating to at the end still have that done. I mean, at least in my case with you I honestly plead ignorance over knowing what you really think, but that's because you rarely state everything you think on the issue. With me, I think the amount I've written (insane as it is) should hopefully make most people around here at least know where I stand.

If I say things numerous times, it's only because there are numerous people to reply to, or because others repeat their views. That's why I occasionally will stop coming here for a few weeks to prevent that from getting too annoying. I really don't seek to piss you or other people off generally.

I do think that Steroid has a good point, and I hope it's not lost on you entirely. Industries will get destroyed by advancements that we make, and new ones will be built. We really shouldn't base our laws on keeping things as they are, or trying to force them the way they were before the internet. Yes there are costs to the new world, and 40% of anime sales may be that cost right now, but I think we should find other ways to correct that. I cannot push government to do that alone, and obviously my ability to convince people is generally lacking. :/

ikillchicken wrote:
Okay well we can agree to disagree or whatever then. I don't really see what you're trying to say here or how it follows/counters my point at all. It is also pretty apparent that this really has no connection to fansubs.

I'm not trying to counter you, but to state what I think. I don't think actions made in "protest" are helpful. Boycotts are rarely effective for anything, and especially when they don't have many people following them. I think you are right to say that we should be pushing government to change the law, but sadly we don't have enough people to force a change here. That'd be about the only thing we possibly get from arguing here.

You admit the DMCA is bad, but obviously you aren't boycotting either. So I think it's unfair to expect others to do this. Our reasons for not doing it are similar to yours probably, we don't think it would be effective and we aren't willing to give something up just to make a statement.
animeman44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey Answerman, does it feel nice to manipulate people with your pointless commentaries? Every time you answer a question you have to put in your own little small minded comment in it to try to push people into your point of view. Animenation's John has a lot more class than you are, all you are is the Bill O'Reily of the anime world. You try to make people all uppity and ticked over so-called american values spreading your disease of ignorance and anti-cultural rehorihic to make people think the anime industry is in constant chaos to not upset the "main stream" of thinking. Regular people don't give a crap about anime. If you think that you're going to successfully make the anime industry dance to your whim think again, real anime fans know the quality of difference, they know what it means to enjoy something that people make through their hearts. What you said about series based on hentai sickens me, if that's your idea of getting off without paying attention to the true messages and acts of story then you're not supporting the industry or the differences in culture. You're putting your own views of culture on into it, forcing them down other people's throats and making others think because you're on a soap box you're the one who's automatically right. You talk a lot about supporting western animation and shows but this isn't a western site, this is an anime site. This is a place for people to enjoy anime, a place for people to have insight into the asian culture without having it be mutlated. Because of your narrow mindless, I can never buy another ProtoCulture Addicts magazine without VOMITING into it. I hope you enjoy your future career working for Disney.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
animeman44 wrote:
Because of your narrow mindless, I can never buy another ProtoCulture Addicts magazine without VOMITING into it.

Well, as long as you're buying it, I don't suppose they much care what you choose to do with it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
animeman44 wrote:
Hey Answerman, does it feel nice to manipulate people with your pointless commentaries? Every time you answer a question you have to put in your own little small minded comment in it to try to push people into your point of view. Animenation's John has a lot more class than you are, all you are is the Bill O'Reily of the anime world. You try to make people all uppity and ticked over so-called american values spreading your disease of ignorance and anti-cultural rehorihic to make people think the anime industry is in constant chaos to not upset the "main stream" of thinking. Regular people don't give a crap about anime. If you think that you're going to successfully make the anime industry dance to your whim think again, real anime fans know the quality of difference, they know what it means to enjoy something that people make through their hearts. What you said about series based on hentai sickens me, if that's your idea of getting off without paying attention to the true messages and acts of story then you're not supporting the industry or the differences in culture. You're putting your own views of culture on into it, forcing them down other people's throats and making others think because you're on a soap box you're the one who's automatically right. You talk a lot about supporting western animation and shows but this isn't a western site, this is an anime site. This is a place for people to enjoy anime, a place for people to have insight into the asian culture without having it be mutlated. Because of your narrow mindless, I can never buy another ProtoCulture Addicts magazine without VOMITING into it. I hope you enjoy your future career working for Disney.

I'm gonna print this on a tee-shirt.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
animeman44 wrote:
Hey Answerman, does it feel nice to manipulate people with your pointless commentaries?

Random Troll alert?

>.> I guess if I do give a crap about anime, it makes me Abnormal? How misleading.

AnimeMan....Answerman?

Sounds like an indirect counterpart.

So, if anything that can be salvaged and relevant to the thread once again...

I haven't been to AX as of yet, but I'm planning to go in the future, but I've heard Otakon is planning something big. I must say, in comparison to the waiting time between those two, getting the badges in Otakon has been a lot easier last year. A WHOLE LOT.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
You admit the DMCA is bad, but obviously you aren't boycotting either. So I think it's unfair to expect others to do this. Our reasons for not doing it are similar to yours probably, we don't think it would be effective and we aren't willing to give something up just to make a statement.

I think you've misunderstood me. I don't expect others to boycott the DMCA. I only meant that if you want to do something about it it might be one possible solution. My point is that issues one has with the DMCA in no way make all piracy it some sort of "protest". You can't use the cases where copyright is abused to claim all copyright laws are bad and therefore okay to break.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
animeman44 wrote:
Angst

I wonder if this is one of those fabled Otakukin who will now smite Zac with his awesome ninja powers heh.
rubbrchikin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
This is my first time ever posting on the ANN forums, but for some reason I just decided that I needed to. I am sick and tired of reading threads that start talking about fansubs and end up degenerating into idiots bleating about how unjust copyright laws are and how everything should be free. Granted, I disagree with the DMCA also, but mostly because of the funky restrictions it puts on cryptography research among other things (which steps all over the first amendment, etc).

As far as I'm concerned, I'm an "average" modern anime fan. Granted, a lot of people are bound to disagree with me. But that's what I believe.

I download fansubs, and have over 200GB of them accumulated. While technically I'm old enough to have been around for the age of VHS fansubs, they were well before my time, since I didn't get into the hobby 'till DVD really took off as the format of choice for commercial anime distribution. And even though I download fansubs, I do still buy the DVDs. People who refuse to buy the DVDs just because they've already seen something confuse me. I like being able to see something more than once.

In my opinion, the only way to get people to stop downloading fansubs is to stop people from making fansubs; the way to stop people from making fansubs is to make it so that fansubs aren't necessary at all. My biggest complaints are that R1 releases are too slow and that there's no way for me to see anime free-of-charge (i.e., ad-supported) in an uncut format.

I've had this idea for a fansub killer floating around in my head for a while-- there should be a website, supported by advertising, that lets people watch medium-quality streaming episodes of uncut, subtitled, LEGAL anime from a huge database, constantly updated with new shows just recently aired in Japan. The site would get whatever permission is needed to put these shows on the site, and it would employ the work of volunteers, fans, or maybe a few paid translators/timers/etc. to get the subtitling done. It could have all of those "cool" things fansubbers do, like karaoke songsubs and different colored words for each character's speech, or maybe not.

The reason I'm just stating this here rather than actually going out and doing this (and making a zillion dollars off of it) is because I quite honestly don't have the means nor the expertise to actually pull it off. But if someone in the industry reads this idea and doesn't think it's the stupidest idea they ever heard, maybe eventually something this crazy will work. I, for one, would gladly sit through commercials in my fansubbed anime, provided they're as funny as the commercials shown on Adult Swim. Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
rubbrchikin wrote:
I've had this idea for a fansub killer floating around in my head for a while-- there should be a website, supported by advertising, that lets people watch medium-quality streaming episodes of uncut, subtitled, LEGAL anime from a huge database, constantly updated with new shows just recently aired in Japan. The site would get whatever permission is needed to put these shows on the site, and it would employ the work of volunteers, fans, or maybe a few paid translators/timers/etc. to get the subtitling done. It could have all of those "cool" things fansubbers do, like karaoke songsubs and different colored words for each character's speech, or maybe not.

It's a good idea but it won't work if the quality can't match that of fansubs. If a legal solution hopes to replace fansubs it has to be just as good as them it every way.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
rubbrchikin wrote:

idiots bleating about how unjust copyright laws are and how everything should be free.

Well, I'm an idiot and I'll admit that. But I never said everything should be free or people shouldn't be paid. I don't know any of those speaking against copyright who say that. I know I buy dvds, and I believe fallout2man does as well. Just because we are against copyright (as it exists now) certainly doesn't mean we think everything should be free.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fallout2man:

Hang on now. I totally agree about the strong arm tactics used by the DMCA. However, your issue should be with them and not copyright law itself. If it is companies using such tactics you want to protest against then by all means don't buy there products. (you should probably do that without just downloading instead though if you want to maintain any sort of nobility). However, it is clearly not copyright law itself that is the issue and thus you are in no way performing "civil disobedience" in response to an unjust law.

Also, I'm not expert on what the original intentions behind these laws were but in this day and age with the amount of value intellectual property can hold, why shouldn't ownership of it bejust the same as that of physical property? Just like a chair or whatever else if a company exerts the effort to create something, why shouldn't they retain ownership and ability to benefit from it until such time they sell the ownership of it? Why shouldn't Disney have a monopoly on Mickey Mouse? They created him and deserve to maintain ownership of him.

Of course it is possible to take copyright to a ridiculous extent. The same is true of any law though. I would hope that courts would make the right choices in these cases. However, if they don't it once again isn't a problem with copyright law itself but a problem with taking that law too far.

Bringing this back to the point: Your claim would seem to be that somehow because some companies and people try and sometimes succeed in taking copyright law too far that makes copyright law unjust and therefore it is okay to break it regardless of the circumstances. The major disconnect is that you're punishing anime companies for things that by your examples other companies have done.

(Key: I'm not sure if you were just expressing your frustration or actually requesting people stop discussing this. I apologize if it was the latter.)

I'm going to try and make this short and sweet as possible.

#1: Physical and intillectual property already behave differently both under the law and in reality. Physical property laws prevent someone from taking your property, IP law prevents someone from copying or making a similar idea based on yours. They aren't the same things and behave differently. For instance, if you want to fly a plane, there are different qualifications I'd have to go through versus the ones to be able to drive a car because planes and cars, while both methods of transportation, behave in fundamentally different ways.

#2:
Article I: Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution wrote:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

#3: Boycott's won't work because these companies already control the market. To boycott you'd have to never watch anything other than public access TV, never go to the movies, never buy any magazines, never browse a huge portion of the web, never buy most name brand items, never shop at corporate run stores. Short of living off of the land far away in the mountains somewhere with no electricity there's little way to not end up funneling money to these companies. Furthermore it's not about money so boycotting wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.

#4: The goal is to force companies and the government to deal with the issue. They won't if they don't have to. It's never been about the money, it's about control. If we show them that that they are not exclusively in control and must abide by the will of the people then they will try to compromise after they've exhausted every other option. This is why I said I'd encourage people to buy as well if the product is good, it shows that someone will pay for a quality product but that they still fundamentally disagree with the law that says they must do X or Y.

#5: When a law is created that is wide open to abuse, the law must be repealed or altered. Copyright law right now needs so many basic changes to term lengths, enforcement, damage limits, and rights on derivitive works that it's easier to just voice a fundamental disagreement with the law since most of it needs changing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rubbrchikin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
rubbrchikin wrote:

It's a good idea but it won't work if the quality can't match that of fansubs. If a legal solution hopes to replace fansubs it has to be just as good as them it every way.

By "medium-quality" I pretty much just meant "not HD", or basically the quality of fansubs. Better quality than youtube (which I consider to be low-quality). Hope that clears things up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man:

I think we may just disagree fundamentally on this. I don't see any reason why companies shouldn't have control over their intellectual property. I recognize that may go beyond what was originally specified in the constitution. However, I am not of the belief that what is in the constitution is absolute and must never change. Laws need to keep with the times. There are aspects of the law such as the second amendment that I think are outdated and need to be changed. I feel copyright is the same. Intellectual property has vastly changed and evolved especially with the internet. The law may need to change to reflect that. If you disagree with that then we really just hold fundamentally different views on things.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fallout2man:

I think we may just disagree fundamentally on this. I don't see any reason why companies shouldn't have control over their intellectual property. I recognize that may go beyond what was originally specified in the constitution. However, I am not of the belief that what is in the constitution is absolute and must never change. Laws need to keep with the times. There are aspects of the law such as the second amendment that I think are outdated and need to be changed. I feel copyright is the same. Intellectual property has vastly changed and evolved especially with the internet. The law may need to change to reflect that. If you disagree with that then we really just hold fundamentally different views on things.

Well obviously some level is necessary. I was never arguing for outright abolishment, just a fundamental change and reduction in power which would better reflect the original intent of such laws.

If you truly believe we must change that intent then I ask you why it is necessary? Merely saying someone is entitled to their work sounds fine and dandy on paper but in practice we make all sorts of compromises and give up rights for the betterment of society. We're taxed our income to help the poor, and pay for social security/healthcare for the elderly. We can't own or manufacture certain kinds of weapons or munitions without getting written government authorization and adhering to certain safety protocols. We need to have a permit to own guns and many sorts of hazerdous materials even if they're home made. We can't drive a car, fly a plane, or operate heavy machinery without a license. All of these things are tradeoffs we agree to make for the betterment of society on a whole. So why do you feel we need to change in the opposite direction?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Those things aren't comparable at all. You're only bringing them up because you know calling them opposite to what I'm suggesting makes it sound ridiculous.

Yeah...allowing companies indefinite control over their intellectual property is totally the same thing as having no gun control laws. Rolling Eyes I think we're done here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15