• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shane Black Describes Changes He Opposed to Warner's Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
OH THANK GOODNESS HE SAID HE OPPOSED THE CHANGES~

America isn't ready for the REAL Death Note. Light isn't the type of character to really seek revenge...
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow a directer with a pair of balls that CAN tell warner brothers off, too bad chances are the poor guy is going to get dumped before production is green lit, it really really makes me sad seeing all these stupid american friendly changes being made just so the masses aren't offended well guess what people It is [expletive] time you all got pissed off by something instead of acting like a bunch of sheep. well that's my two cents er bucks worth of my opinion
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
khadijah1415 wrote:
America isn't ready for the REAL Death Note.

Would that be the America where it was a consistently top selling manga title and the anime actually aired on TV? It ran in Shonen Jump, for chrissakes, a magazine for teenage boys. As much of a teenage boy as America is, I'm pretty sure it can handle the GLORIOUS NIPPON SUPERIORITY.

Glad to see the director has a head on his shoulders. Hopefully WB will learn from the failure of previous adaptations and try to stick with what made the original property successful.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
khadijah1415 wrote:
America isn't ready for the REAL Death Note.

Would that be the America where it was a consistently top selling manga title and the anime actually aired on TV? It ran in Shonen Jump, for chrissakes, a magazine for teenage boys. As much of a teenage boy as America is, I'm pretty sure it can handle the GLORIOUS NIPPON SUPERIORITY.

By "America" people usually mean the non anime/manga fanbase here, which are more open minded about animation not being for kids and such. The "mainstream" if you will. Writing off the series as a 'teenage boys series' really only portrays America in an even more negative life if they feel it's too 'deep' or 'controversial' to have Light be 'evil' or 'good' or whatever and try to boil it down to such simplicity. Then again you have shows like Pocket Monsters, Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh get so watered down in the localization that even those are too 'complex', so maybe it's not too surprising Death Note would get this kind of treatment by the mainstream.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
No, please don't do this. I'm glad Shane Black opposed the changes that would have ruined Death Note, but I'm not too crazy about a Hollywood adaptation.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new background would have had a friend of Light murdered when he was young. When Light obtains the Death Note — a notebook with which he can put people to death by writing their names — he uses it to seek vengeance.

What's with all the hate? Wouldn't everyone just love to see spoiler[Batman] Death Note: Arkham Asylum?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:
The new background would have had a friend of Light murdered when he was young. When Light obtains the Death Note — a notebook with which he can put people to death by writing their names — he uses it to seek vengeance.

What's with all the hate? Wouldn't everyone just love to see spoiler[Batman] Death Note: Arkham Asylum?

Heheheh, sounds like that one would already be better than the Japanese live-action Death Note. Laughing
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Oh god yes, that would probably be exactly how it would be handled. If I recall, their concept of Ryuk when first aquired was to have him be someone in makeup rather than CGI like in the J-version.
But you know what else, at least in that parody version they got the 40second count right.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Even The japanese live action version wasn't all that great.

You can't really expect the american one to be good, if it does happen i expect it to be horrible.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the live action Japanese version, and bought the Viz DVD release of change the worLd, but I would certainly have wished that filmmakers left it at that.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Seriously, what is with all the sudden irrational hate for the Japanese live-action films? Those were great, and they were far better than any "effort" Hollywood will put out.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Seriously, what is with all the sudden irrational hate for the Japanese live-action films? Those were great, and they were far better than any "effort" Hollywood will put out.

While I will not, EVER, support the create-by-panel Hollywood style of movie making, did you see the Japanese live action Death Notes? How about Detroit Metal City? Over-acting, BAD acting (Misa), poor CG, melodrama, pacing problems, major changes from the source material... and the list could go on. Now, I own the movies, and enjoy them, but I will not defend their artistic merit. Hollywood has a lot of room to improve on the source material.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen them and I own them, and I see nothing wrong with any of the stuff you mentioned. And of course we can always expect changes and shortenings, they only have like 2 hours per movie. There's no way in hell Hollywood is gonna do a better job, because they DON'T GIVE A SHIT, and they WILL let that show. American studios practically FLAUNT how much they don't give a shit about a series or its fans. And before you point out that Shane Black cares, I'm gonna point out again that the odds seem pretty high that he'll be booted from the project before the movie even gets greenlit, and I'll also toss in the fact that he could still mess it up in plenty of ways besides the most basic plot and characterization.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
Well, to be honest, I've become accustomed to plot changes when something transfers to the silver screen. How many novels have been adapted to the same, and they see major adjustments in the process? Granted, I've often wondered why this is when the changes seem unnecessary, but I have come to recognize it as a fact of life. Indeed, sometimes the movies that are based around a series take on a life of their own. 007 in film has little to do with the actual books by Ian Fleming, for instance, but the movies are extremely popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3