• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Claymore Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
i was hoping for lucky star if some one did get that one or Gunslinger Girl Teatrino or the geneon title but the one thing i like is chicks that fight Laughing so it all good
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
It's also a shame that most titles get released 1 DVD at a time. Sure it make sense in an economic stand point because you make more than just selling a boxset straight up, but personally I think it's annoying. I've never been one to prefer online purchasing, call me crazy, but I like buying shows from stores like Best Buy because they're almost always below MSRP and I feel they have a general good pricing. But what annoys me is if you buy a DVD Volume 1, generally, it feels like you'll have to pay more for the silly cardboard box. I'd rather that the thinpack be released all at once, it's worth waiting for, but it may not be the best economic move because your casual fan isn't likely to drop $70 dollars on an entire show, which is why buying a Volume 1 makes sense.

Though for me, I rarely buy anime, or any DVD unless I know what I'n buying.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It's about time.
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Kaze wrote:
From what you've posted thus far, I'm inclined to think that the main reason you don't buy DVDs is because you're a young person who lives at home without much disposable income or a credit card. If that's the case, then I can understand being choosy with what you buy, because you need to make sure you spend what you have on something that's really worthwhile. But come on, at least don't claim that you don't have a lot of places to find anime. I've lived in Edmonton and found a lot there.

Um... Your post is really long and this is the only part I read. Yeah you're right. That and I actually live outside of Edmonton (but still close enough to get to it easily enough by bus) so it's hard for me to get to West Edmonton Mall. I do go to Kingsway Garden Mall but mostly to buy manga from Comex Hobby. I've rented anime from the Movie Studio near Whyte Ave but I haven't been there in a long time and half the time the stuff I wanted to rent was one day rental or out. I've been to the HMV in WEM but that was a few years ago and it was really expensive
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
i was hoping for lucky star if some one did get that one

Bandai has already licensed Lucky Star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
Um... Your post is really long and this is the only part I read. Yeah you're right. That and I actually live outside of Edmonton (but still close enough to get to it easily enough by bus) so it's hard for me to get to West Edmonton Mall. I do go to Kingsway Garden Mall but mostly to buy manga from Comex Hobby. I've rented anime from the Movie Studio near Whyte Ave but I haven't been there in a long time and half the time the stuff I wanted to rent was one day rental or out. I've been to the HMV in WEM but that was a few years ago and it was really expensive

lol, tl;dr strikes again! I don't blame you. I get talkative when I'm ranty. ^^;

And ah, that makes a bit more sense, then, if you actually live outside of Edmonton. If I were you, I'd look to online retailers. Follow Brians9824's advice and get a pre-paid card from a grocery store, or possibly buy a gift card from HMV the next time you're able to go there and use it to buy stuff from their online store. Also, RightStuf accepts mailed money orders, which you can get from most post offices.

I don't have issues with HMV's prices, usually, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Tenchi Kaze on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It's also a shame that most titles get released 1 DVD at a time. Sure it make sense in an economic stand point because you make more than just selling a boxset straight up, but personally I think it's annoying. I've never been one to prefer online purchasing, call me crazy, but I like buying shows from stores like Best Buy because they're almost always below MSRP and I feel they have a general good pricing. But what annoys me is if you buy a DVD Volume 1, generally, it feels like you'll have to pay more for the silly cardboard box. I'd rather that the thinpack be released all at once, it's worth waiting for, but it may not be the best economic move because your casual fan isn't likely to drop $70 dollars on an entire show, which is why buying a Volume 1 makes sense.

Though for me, I rarely buy anime, or any DVD unless I know what I'n buying.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's no real surprise that it got licensed, I knew it would come down to Funi or Viz. I'll have to pass though since I thought it was a terrible show overall. And the announcement video reminded me of how Kadokawa revealed that Bandai had Haruhi.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this thread grew this big in just a few hours!? Shocked Guess I shouldn't be so surprised, I know a lot of people have been waiting for this license. Laughing

But yeah, I was up out of my seat in jubilation when I heard about this news! Cool (my good pal JG actually IMed me about it before I had the chance to get over here to ANN Anime smile + sweatdrop) It's finally here, yay! Very Happy

If Viz had gotten it though, I think I would have loved to see it go to Ocean though, probably every bit as much as I like the fact that Funi got it. Ocean does some of the most quality dubs out there IMO, but I guess it's better that Funi got it since they have a much deeper tallent pool in female VAs, especially those with nice, deep voices which you really need for this series. But hey, Funi's got some awesome dubs too, and all of my favorite VAs seem to be either there or in LA, so this should still be an awesome dub nonetheless. Cool

I guess there's no chance of this coming to Adult Swim due to some of the content, so it'll probably come to some other network I unfortunately don't have..... Anime cry Some of you guys have suggested IFC, which seems like it would be a good place, given what I already know has aired on there before. I'll just have to settle for the DVDs then. As usual I'll be waiting for a possible box set release.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I guess there's no chance of this coming to Adult Swim due to some of the content, so it'll probably come to some other network I unfortunately don't have..... Anime cry Some of you guys have suggested IFC, which seems like it would be a good place, given what I already know has aired on there before. I'll just have to settle for the DVDs then. As usual I'll be waiting for a possible box set release.

Actually I think Claymore has a very good chance of airing on AS since they seem to have no problem with graphic violence (I could see them toning it down a bit).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious. Since the manga is still being published in Japan, does the anime have a good resolution?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm curious. Since the manga is still being published in Japan, does the anime have a good resolution?

More or less. I personally liked the anime's ending, but other people will tell you otherwise. I say this because the writing quality does falter into the predictable once the anime diverges from the manga. In spite of that, I still liked how it stayed true to the overall theme of the series and its characters to the bitter end. Plus, there were still a few surprises here and there. The series did get back in line with the manga after episode 26 as well, leaving room for a possible sequel.

That's just my opinion though. You'll really have to see it for yourself. The manga certainly is superior, but the anime still works quite well as a standalone production.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Kaze wrote:

lol, tl;dr strikes again! I don't blame you. I get talkative when I'm ranty. ^^;

And ah, that makes a bit more sense, then, if you actually live outside of Edmonton. If I were you, I'd look to online retailers. Follow Brians9824's advice and get a pre-paid card from a grocery store, or possibly buy a gift card from HMV the next time you're able to go there and use it to buy stuff from their online store. Also, RightStuf accepts mailed money orders, which you can get from most post offices.

I don't have issues with HMV's prices, usually, but maybe that's just me.

I'll keep that in mind when the funds become available. I honestly thought you could only order stuff online if you had a credit card and didn't think money orders were accepted.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
A.S. is starting to suck and it wont be there they take to long to put anime on and never play new anime on weekday and only a hour and an half on weekend so it wont be on A.S.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Finally some good news! Woo. I'm so happy to hear this. It's my first fansub show and it's licensed now. Great great news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7