• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeburPT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Since I've been cleaning and reorganizing my shelves - and got a bunch of books since the last update - I took a few new pictures of my collection:

My shelves:

Manga Shelf 1, front:

Manga Shelf 1, back:

Manga Shelf 2, back:

Manga Shelf 2, front:

Manga Shelves 3 and 4, front:

Manga Shelves 3 and 4, back (I couldn't fit the Naruto volumes in here, but they are on my previous post):
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I spy godhand, such an awesome game and very under rated i rekkon.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sweet stuff! Any particular reason you seem to have so many random volume 1s?

Anyways, I'll have new pictures probably after Otakon, so expect them late July/early August!
NeburPT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
I spy godhand, such an awesome game and very under rated i rekkon.

That game is godlike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyfbtSyX3mc

classicalzawa wrote:
Sweet stuff! Any particular reason you seem to have so many random volume 1s?

Anyways, I'll have new pictures probably after Otakon, so expect them late July/early August!

I tend to buy immediately the first volume of series I'll be collecting in the future, like Hikaru no Go or Berserk, but in other cases I buy them for manga that I enjoyed reading but not to the point that I would like to own the entire series, seeing as this is a bit expensive hobby.

This happens mostly with shonen, as they tend to be very long and it's hard to maintain the quality consistently that way, but also tend to have very strong first volumes, as they are so important to determine the serialization and the ideas and concepts of the author are still very fresh. I like to add variety to my collection, also. Wink
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
whats the one next to the deathnote box set? i like the cover but cant make out the name
NeburPT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
whats the one next to the deathnote box set? i like the cover but can't make out the name

That is The Legend of Mother Sarah (manga#3104). I have the first volume of the portuguese edition, but they dropped it here at the third volume so I never even got the rest, because of that this volume cost me something like 2€, the store just wanted to get rid of it... The story is by Katsuhiro Otomo and it had potential, but I believe that the english version was also dropped by Dark Horse, or is at least out of print...
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This set of pictures are a bit old. Not terribly so since I took them in March, but my collection has grown in that time, probably somewhere between 50 and 75 more manga. It may look familiar to subscribers, since I posted this set in the collection forum, but I guess for those that aren't subscribers, it's new to you!

Can't particularly recall when I started collecting manga. I'd like to say it was around 2005. I do know that I started collecting because I wanted to see the rest of Kare Kano and it just evolved from there. Everything is in alphabetical order, just it goes all the way across the shelves so it doesn't really look like it when you just view the pictures.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
mighty impressive. id speculate that had i not taken a break mine would look similar (though i still wouldnt have battley royale cos i hate the translators dicking around with manga, Just translate it fools!)

you know you have a good collection when you cant fit it all in 1 shot lol
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
NeburPT wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:
whats the one next to the deathnote box set? i like the cover but can't make out the name

That is The Legend of Mother Sarah (manga#3104). I have the first volume of the portuguese edition, but they dropped it here at the third volume so I never even got the rest, because of that this volume cost me something like 2€, the store just wanted to get rid of it... The story is by Katsuhiro Otomo and it had potential, but I believe that the english version was also dropped by Dark Horse, or is at least out of print...
#

daft how publishers will drop a series after doing nothing to promote it. i mean im a big manga fan but theres plenty of stuff that slips past me just because these publishers seem to release books and not tell anyone then gasp when the sales are poor.

I looked about and people seem to have the same opinion that the story was a bit meh but that artwork on the cover looks nice.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
daft how publishers will drop a series after doing nothing to promote it. i mean im a big manga fan but theres plenty of stuff that slips past me just because these publishers seem to release books and not tell anyone then gasp when the sales are poor.

I don't think Dark Horse promoted The Legend of Mother Sarah any more or less heavily than the other titles they were putting out...it just didn't sell. There aren't many titles released in English around that time (1995 or '96 I think) that are still widely known. Not many that were widely known at the time, come to that.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Dark Horse released the first three volumes (of nine) as floppy comics but only volume one was ever collected in book form.
I'm fairly sure it was finished in French (in fewer, thicker volumes) but that edition seems to be out of print too. The good news is that what there is of the English release can be found pretty cheap through comic dealers. It's well worth picking up.

Quote:
I looked about and people seem to have the same opinion that the story was a bit meh but that artwork on the cover looks nice.

The first volume (which is what people tend to write about) pretty much just sets the story up. It settles into its groove after that and while it's certainly no Akira or Domu, I found it pretty entertaining. The art is really, really great though - there are some sequences in volumes 2 and 3 that are just sublime.
hamster428

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
bllanosr wrote:
hamster428 wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, I wish I could wrap a lot of mine in plastic...it'd give me peace of mind at the very least.

What's stopping ya? Very Happy My friend thinks it's tacky, but I don't mind the look.

What do you wrap your mangas in? Is it a re-sealable bag? Where do you get it?

They're comic bags that you can get at comic bookstores or ebay or amazon. They come in both resealable or regular, depends on the cost. I just buy the regular kind and fold the flap over
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip Hamster428. I will be looking into getting those when I move to a very humid area this August. For those of you who live in humid areas, how do you guys protect your mangas from the high humidity? Does it yellow faster than normal? warp?

Sailor S you have an impressive collection! It must be a pain to add a new series though since everything has to shift to maintain the alphabetical order scheme.
DarKraD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
I've seen this post and I wanted to share my manga collection. I'm from Spain but I enjoy seeing foreigner editions of several manga. So here it goes.

I have some manga in English and one in Italian and I'll tell you which manga are the ones with Spanish titles, hahaha.

The quality of the photos is not the best so i'll tell you the series...
Mirai Nikki, Billy Bat, Sex, Chi's Sweet Home, Berserk, Ray, Tantei Gishiki in the left up corner. Next, Orpheus no Mado, The Drops of God, Kurogane no Linebarrels and the kanzenban of Touch (Mitsuru Adachi) in the right up corner.
In the middle, left part, Please Save my Earth (the white ones) and the sequel, Boku o Tsutsumu Tsuki no Hikari (only the one and two, since the editorial died ;__;), Hayate the Combat Butler (dropped by the Spanish editorial, I think i'll continue with the English one.), Kekkaishi, Binbougami Ga! and two random Haruhi novels (1 & 4).
In the right, the fifteen volumes of DNAngel (my favourite series), To-Love-Ru, Bokura ga Ita (I think in english is called We Were There) and Hatsukoi Limited.
In the left bottom, Maiwai, Sakura Wars, Sailor Moon, Silver Spoon, the shinsoban of Tokyo Babylon, Blood+, Blood+ Adagio, Blood+ Yakou Joushi, Yotsuba, Ultimo and Wish by CLAMP.
In the right, Global Garden, Keroro (called Sargent Frog in English), Nurarihyon no Mago, Gate7 and the .hack// saga.

Another shelf. Here I have the first artbook of Angel Sanctuary, Pandora Hearts (with a box given by the editorial to put the first 10 volumes) and in the Pandora's box, Sunadokei (Sand Chronicles in English). Then, Negima, Sugar Sugar Rune, Magic Knight Rayearth, Peace Maker and the sequel, Peace maker Kurogane. At the end, the english edition of Natsume's Book of Friends and the deluxe pack containing the four volumes of Brain Powerd by Yukiru Sugisaki.

One more. Here I have Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, The Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of time & Majora's Mask), Rozen Maiden, Mushishi, Chobits, Defense Devil and Trinity Blood (it's inside the Nurarihyon no Mago box, i'm waiting to have more volumes of Nura and change location with Trinity, hahaha)

Here I have Bakuman, Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Eden (by Yukiru Sugisaki), the italian first book of Oyasumi Punpun, OUT (a manga by a Spanish author), Kimi wa Pet (Tramps Like Us in English), Mon Colle Knights, Last Quarter (by Ai Yazawa), Onex3 (the one published in the Asuka Magazine), Magic Kaito, Cat Street, Lost+Brain, Mixim11, Captain Harlock, Claymore and Kobato.

Here, Life by Keiko Suenobu (I have to buy more, it's really interesting), Nodame Cantabile, Dengeki Daisy, CardCaptor Sakura (and the guide), Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, some Spanish manga (the ones with the "G") and Blue Exorcist.

In the upper part of the big shelf I have some big English manga, most from Viz Signature. Here I have, Bunny Drop, House of Five Leaves, Bokurano, Afterschool Charisma, Jormungand, Ristorante Paradiso, Gente and Saturn Apartments.
Below, Spirit of Wonder, Saiyuki and the first three of Saiyuki Reload, Erementar Gerad (Elemental Gelade in English, maybe?) Aqua and Aria.
Below, King of Thorn, Eureka Seven, 20th Century Boys and 21st Century Boys.

Next, we have the Kingdom Hearts saga (I, Chain of Memories and II), Tegami Bachi, Tutor Hitman Reborn (on hiatus due to poor sales D: ) and Rosario to Vampire First Season.
Then, XBlade, Ouran Host Club and D.Gray-Man.
Below, the first omnibus of Genshiken in english, Loveless (I have 5 & 6 too but I've lent them) and Bloody Monday (1 to 3 are lent too), Nana, Ayashi no Ceres. The series with the blue, orange and purple books is Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu by Aoki Kotomi and the last one is Lagoon Engine by Yukiru Sugisaki.

Here, I have Say Hello to Black Jack, Ribon no Kishi (Princess Knight in English, I think), Switch, Shugo Chara and the kanzenban of Gokinjo Monogatari and Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai (both by Ai Yazawa).

In the last row, Black God, Yozakura Quartet, Pandora Hearts (I bought it before the release of the manga in Spain), Soul Eater (the same as Pandora), Scott Pilgrim, Nabari no Ou, Maria Holic, Tegami Bachi (the same as Pandora and Soul), 2 novels of Detective Conan and the ROM novels of Trinity Blood. Then, the Another Monster novel, one random volume of Venus Wa Kataomoi and four volumes of another edition of Please Save my Earth.

Here I have two Japanese guides, Wandering Son, The Great Catsby (the manhwa by Doha), A Bride's Story, the Kanzenban of Fushigi Yugi, the kanzenban (I think this doesn't exist in other countries and Spain is the unique place with this kanzenban) of Ranma 1/2, Eagle, the two shinsoban of Clover, Dien Bien Phu, the Luna Park manhwa, Tokyo Babylon tankobon (I don't have the 2 and 4, that's why I'm buying the new edition that I showed you in another photo) and the kanzenban of Monster.

In this shelf I have the first volume of Koroshiya-san, the tankobon of Clover (I don't have 2 and 3, that's why I bought the shinsoban that you can see in the upper row) and all the remaining volumes is Detective Conan. It is in an strange edition because it was selling bad and had some marketing tricks and finally, the sales went up. Now, we have 72 volumes released.

Here, I have Bleach, the Cain Saga and Godchild.

Now, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, xxxHolic, Venus Versus Virus, Saint Young Men and Hero Tales.

Here, Liar Game, Densha Otoko (called Otaku in Love in the spanish edition), Calling You and Missing Holiday (the manga version of the Otsuichi novels), Miyuki-chan in the Wonderland, Honey&Clover, Ichigo 100% (Strawberry 100% in english?), Kimi ni Todoke (the yellow ones), Otomen and Angel Sanctuary in a horrible box made by me.

And the last one! Here I have Gakuen Alice, Fushigi Yugi Genbu, Full Metal Alchemist, Rinne, Planetes, Natsukashi Machi no Rozione, Heaven's Prison, the kanzenban of Saint Seiya (a friend is reading volumes 1 & 2, that's why they're not there) and Nightmare Before Christmas: The Manga.

That's all. I hope you like it and if you have some curiosity about the spanish editions or whatelse, feel free to ask :3
hamster428

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I super love looking at foreign bookspines. I buy mostly English shoujo which are mostly printed by VIZ and when you put them together they look monotonous

I'd love to have a monster collection as well but after collecting over 900 volumes of manga I come to realize I don't truly care to own some of those titles, despite being popular or acclaimed, so I'm downsizing right now and will take a more judicious approach to buying.
You guys who own in the thousands, do you like every single one of your titles?
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
hamster428 wrote:
You guys who own in the thousands, do you like every single one of your titles?

Well, yes. That's why I have them. I don't collect things I don't like. What would be the point in that?

That said, there is certainly a difference between the series that I merely "like" and the series that I "can't live without!". I'd say the later only make up probably around... 20% of my collection? But, as I said, I still like and will reread all the others. Anime smallmouth I just like a lot of things, what can I say!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 38