• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I dust stuff when I move it or once a year wether it needs it or not. Otherwise I consider dust a preservative.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
that room is like a shop lol, the glass display case looks like a counter.

Nice collection of stuff there, another place my scouse mind is telling me to burglarize lol.

Im workin hard on making my collection theft-worthy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
It is a counter, I bought it and the display shelves on the left when the local Teddy Bear store went out of business. I also got the Atari cabinet at the same time. Given the distance, I don't think you pose a great threat. Wink

It may not be easy to tell from the photo, but the counter is sitting about three feet out from the book shelves. It has to since it opens from the back. The shelves go down to the floor.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Uh, I do that. ._. I mean, my oversized books have to be separate (they don't fit on most of my normal shelves) and all the CLAMP books are in one place, but other than that... It's straight up alphabetical, from +Anima to Zodiac P.I.

(It's seriously the only way I can find things; I don't know how other people manage without it.)
st_owly wrote:
I alphabetise my collection as well. It has a few subcategories, like all the CLAMP stuff is together, but every sub category is alphabetised.

Guess I'm even more wrong than I thought. Laughing

Alan45: Woah. Shocked I have found the collection my collection aspires to be.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It is a counter, I bought it and the display shelves on the left when the local Teddy Bear store went out of business. I also got the Atari cabinet at the same time. Given the distance, I don't think you pose a great threat. Wink

It may not be easy to tell from the photo, but the counter is sitting about three feet out from the book shelves. It has to since it opens from the back. The shelves go down to the floor.

ah cool well then the store front theme isnt suprising then. You must have been working on this lot for 15+ years if you started when dark horse were doing manga in american format.
Ensof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Amazing collection Alan! I'm particularly impressed by the way you've stored what doesn't fit on your shelves (former library assistant/records clerk here). I'll be running out of shelf space in the new year for both manga and western graphic novels, and your pictures have shown me the best way to go about the next stage.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
First-time poster. I usually only post in the Talkback forum.

Anyway, here's my manga shelf (click to enlarge):

This is not my full collection-- Only what I've acquired since moving to Japan in 2010. I've got about 2-3 times more at home.

As you can see, I only buy manga in Japanese. Any series that don't start from vol.1 means the previous volumes are back home in the U.S. (except for FMA-- only bought the last volume.) Bottom row is novels. I actually haven't taken the time to read the Durarara!! novels yet... The books are organized first by size and then alphabetically.

This shelf I bought is only really good for JUMP-sized comics... Most of the ones I buy are the larger-sized ones so they don't fit in the bottom row. Actually due to the shelf sagging I can't fit regular-sized comics near the middle either. ^^;

Been reading a lot more during my commute and lunch lately. Recently I've mostly been borrowing manga from work and from co-workers. I would buy more if my room were larger. I dread the possible thought of moving back...

Currently reading the third Kuroko no Basket novel and Tonari no Kaibutsu kun.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2- Cool! I collect imported manga, too.

What're those plastic things on them- are they protectors of some sort?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
@ RAmmsoldat
I started on manga 15 years ago in September. However once I got started I hit the back issue bins in 20+ comic shops across 5 different states. It was rather fun hunting down back issues of Mai, the Psychic Girl or Oh! My Goddess. The hardest to find were the back issues of Appleseed.

Out of curiosity what area is indicated by the word "scouse".

@ Ensof
I don't think the boxes with the two slots are still available. At least my local comic shop can't get them, which is a shame. However the boxes paper comes in work well with a variety of sizes of manga. The shelves are from Lowes and Home Depot. They claim to be able to hold up to 5000 pounds. They show no sign of the strain of a full load of comic books. The are 18" by 36". Hard to photograph, but I have 4 and a half full of boxed manga.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ RAmmsoldat
I started on manga 15 years ago in September. However once I got started I hit the back issue bins in 20+ comic shops across 5 different states. It was rather fun hunting down back issues of Mai, the Psychic Girl or Oh! My Goddess. The hardest to find were the back issues of Appleseed.

Out of curiosity what area is indicated by the word "scouse".

Scousers are natives of the city of Liverpool, a place that has been famous over the ages over and over yet cant seem to get much manga in when i go back there. They say in its prime 1/3 of all the worlds trade went through there and yet i could never get stuff i was after lol.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks that is sort of what I thought, but it didn't match your current location.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
yeah moved a bit west when i was 15, my mum needed more land for her horses and masses and masses of other pets so now i live out here. Nice scenery but its the edge of nowhere. If i wernt so antisocial id be upset lol.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
GokuMew2- Cool! I collect imported manga, too.

What're those plastic things on them- are they protectors of some sort?

Yeah, they're clear book covers. Animate gives them to you for free when you buy books from them. They're not included with like art books or large books though.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
That's sounds convenient! Archonia often puts manga in those little plastic protection bags, but they're a hassle.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Phew

I've been re arranging the shelving in here and spent a little on some wood to make a new smaller shelving box to put next to the older one. Its all a little scruffy because this house im in has to be about 70-80 years old so the walls have sank a bit and it makes em all a bit funhouse plus its difficult to drill into some of it because the blocks they used...i dunno i think they are made out of the same stuff nintendo use to make gameboys, it destroys masonry drill bits if you try to get in there.

Anyway I've expanded my shelf space and adressed some issues i was having with the original book case and it only cost me £30 and the use of the end of my left index finger for a little while (managed to flay it a bit with a hammer lol).

You know when you have a lot of books cos the room starts to smell like a library, i like that smell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 38