• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Beck to the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I've never read the E7 manga, but just about every fan of the anime I've come across who has feels that it's utter and complete drek. (This does make sense in the grand scheme of things, considering that it's an adaptation of the anime series that doesn't even seem to attempt to follow its plot.) I'm a massive fan of the series, though, and as far as I see it, if the ending doesn't leave you with a great case of the warm and fuzzies, your soul needs a tune-up.

Great news, much appreciated. I only read the manga because I bought the special additions and it came packaged with it. The last manga volume was included with the 9th set as 10 and 12 have that other E7 spin-off manga that doesn't even relate to the E7 crew or major story.

Those collections do tend to give you shelf envy, that's for sure. No harm in sending it in, if it doesn't make the cut it doesn't make the cut. There's also this long standing thread to view peoples collections or showcase your own. Obviously older pages often contain broken images as people only keep them up for so long, but there's some pretty impressive collections showcased in there.

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday Bamboo.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:

Quote:
To me it can never be the worst harem type anime on the market anyway... that award will always be stapled firmly to Girl's Bravo.

Well, it's not everyday I come to the aid of 'Girls Bravo', but at least it had the good sense to mix it's ecchi with raunchy/good-hearted humor rather then bleary melodrama (though the show really lost something after the first 8-9 episodes). It also didn't feature the same 'Tee-hee, I love serving you!!' current as 'Shuffle'.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday BD! (now let's hope the Avs can give you a nice gift tonight Wink )

I agree with you completely on BECK. Yes the ending could have been expanded on, but it was still so well executed that I can forgive them; I'm glad I discovered that series, it's by far my favorite.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
it's a sad day for me when shuffle gets thrown with the perishable while the wallflower [/cringe] gets shelf worthy. drama, development, art, comedy (debated)... i see the wallflower winning in no category compared against shuffle.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:

Quote:
To me it can never be the worst harem type anime on the market anyway... that award will always be stapled firmly to Girl's Bravo.

Well, it's not everyday I come to the aid of 'Girls Bravo', but at least it had the good sense to mix it's ecchi with raunchy/good-hearted humor rather then bleary melodrama (though the show really lost something after the first 8-9 episodes). It also didn't feature the same 'Tee-hee, I love serving you!!' current as 'Shuffle'.
Actually I have to hold my hands up to this one, I think I was abit too rash to say It was the worst, it's been a long time since I've watched any Girl's Bravo and thinking back I must admit it did have it's moments of very good comedy, but I still think it's worse than Shuffle!... but then again I do think Shuffle! was abit of smut dressed up as drama... at least Girls Bravo knew it's target audience and gave them what they wanted... nah I still think it was pointless in the long run... if I sit on the fence any longer it will give under my wieght.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, people love to hate on harem comedies around here. It's almost a pandemic of sorts! Fortunately, while I respect Bamboo's opinion, I'm not remotely bound to treat her reviews as the gospel. (Yay, more harem ecchi goodness for me!)

I share her tastes in some genres though, so her reviews help me to find new series that I'll love. (Beck is next on my list of "Bamboo loved it so I should buy it" titles.)

And those who are saying Girls Bravo was terrible, how can you not love the Fukuyama siblings? They are hysterical!
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Quote:
And those who are saying Girls Bravo was terrible, how can you not love the Fukuyama siblings? They are hysterical!

Actually, for what is was, I thought 'Girls Bravo' was really good for awhile (I'm also a big fan of ecchi-comedy, so fairly biases weigh in). The main protagonist was a bit of a squish, even given genre expectations, but I thought there was both zip and even a bit of sweetness in the characters. The 'ecchi' set-pieces (banana scene, joystick scene) were actually decently imagined and risque, but never felt sleazy. The drawback was that around 8-9 episodes in, the animation seemed to 'dip' a bit, and more importantly the writing/energy (which is most important to comedy) suddenly just dropped off. You could really tell when the original scripts ended and the ubiquitous 'Series X creative team' took over.

Quote:
Man, people love to hate on harem comedies around here. It's almost a pandemic of sorts!

Well, you've got a point there. I think there's a good bit of creepy gender stuff that creeps out of Japan that deserves derision, but it does seem even more traditional/innocuous male-aimed fan-service material whips the villagers into a frenzy these days. I'd understand it a bit if the modern anime field was full of innovative, mature shows, but that's not exactly the case. It's not particularly enlightening to hear a person frown on a 'Girls Bravo', but then praise an ultra-contrived melodrama like 'Air'.
vincentthecon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday! 23 is my lucky number just so you know haha...I love your column your reviews always make me laugh, they are so true...

I also share your worship of Beck, it is one of the best series I have seen in the past couple of years, I love anime that incorporates music as one of its central themes, haa which is probably also why I love NANA so much besides it being a total sit down and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's trip...wow I just got wayy off topic there Rolling Eyes
Heretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to get the Kiddy Grade collection for a friend of mine who enjoyed the series. I bought it up as the singles came out, but I wanted him to own this as well. Thanks for the pics. I'm not even going to rag on Shuffle! (and I enjoy my fair share of harem shows), it would be like beating a dead horse at this point...

Nice collection there. I'm moving in less than a month so hopefully that means I can send in pictures soon complete with new shelving units.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
I finally watched the last Beck DVD and found it amazing. The series is definitely my favorite release of 2007. I agree with those that think this series could have easily been a 50 episode series and was sad to see it end. I think I want to go back and watch Paradise Kiss again since I think I can appreciate it more a second time before going through Beck a second time. I noticed that most of my recent Funimation DVDs (School Rumble, XXXholic/Tsubasa, Witchblade etc.) have arrived with customer survey cards so I filled them all out for fun.

My copy of the Third came with two of those heavy stock booklets inside. I hope nobody is missing an insert because of this since these are nice little books.

Shuffle is one of those DVDs that didn't interest me at all by it's description. Much like Negima and Desert Punk it is one of the few Funimation titles which I'm avoiding. So far I've not seen anything posted to convince me otherwise, but I will see as more DVDs are released.

The Fullmetal Alchemist booklets are also very nice. These books which are also included with Burst Angel, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, and a few other titles are really nice. I completely agree that this series deserves it's high praise.

I never really got into Kiddy Grade. I think I'll have to rewatch the series since as Bamboo mentions there are plenty of changes by the end and it's been a long time since I got these DVDs. I love the main symphonic instrumental (the one used for the eye catch) song as well as the random art used for the eye catches. Much like Blue Gender I also enjoyed the novelty of the English versions of the songs.

Once again Bamboo's taste make sense to me.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Man, people love to hate on harem comedies around here. It's almost a pandemic of sorts! Fortunately, while I respect Bamboo's opinion, I'm not remotely bound to treat her reviews as the gospel. (Yay, more harem ecchi goodness for me!)

I'm not nearly as much of a fan as I used to be, but I watched Shuffle! when I was still really into the harem stuff. Didn't stop it from sucking.
WesW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting to watch the first and last volume of Shuffle! back to back, when they are all out. About the only similarities they would have would be the character designs. Also, fyi, the revelation of why Kaede has such a servile attitude is one of the series' most dramatic moments.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All I want for my birthday is a giant tub of Pinkberry yogurt, and the ability to throw DVDs into a giant void that will also spit out any disc I want at the press of a button. A completely organized shelf that takes up zero space? That would be a dream come true.

Having looked into some of those voids, you would be better off asking for world peace ... it's cheaper.
Quote:
And yes, I took pictures.

You really like linking on a single-letter words ... not nice.

On the collection, are those FMA discs out-of-order, or does the spine art wrap around? Somehow they just look like there should be some sort of picture when fully assembled.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the spine art wraps around on the FMA DVD's, it's not meant to be a picture when put together. It does look a little odd when you view them all together like that though, yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animemaniac14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
lots of good anime in that collection!!!

man that is A LOT OF WII GAMES...i only own 4...the ESSENTIALS (except for Mario Galaxy which i STILL NEED!): RE4, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP

but DAMNNNNNNN i need to send my pics to shelf life once i get some new shelves!

also need to pick up vols. 5 and 6 of beck!!! such an amazing show and speaks to me on such a different level than any other anime show i've seen in a LOOONNNGGGGG time!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5