• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Beck to the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Happy brithday Bamboo, i turned 21 yesterday Very Happy

You kids are making me feel rather old! (There is a clue to my age in my user name, which I have come to hate and wish I could change!)

Beck is up next in my Netflix queue, and once Shuffle is all out, I'll give it a rental too. I love reviews and throughly enjoy Bamboo's column, but ultimately I judge the shows for myself (although I am in agreement with Bamboo much more often than not! Wink ).
8JF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
A stab of a guess would say 67 was your birth year.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
8JF wrote:

Don't you DARE claim you're old...I'm only a year behind you!
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I'm older than that by a couple years.

It's nice to see the continuing Beck love happening. I'm a big Beck fan with a completely filled amp box, all the manga released here, a poster signed by the dub cast and directors, and a little framed display for all seven guitar picks.

That's right. Seven. Wink

In any case, knowing what I do about the progression of the manga after the events of the anime leaves me at a bit of a loss to know how they could have ended it otherwise (without introducing huge cliffhangers and/or spoilers). I just took the little montage sequence as a "and the story went on" signal and just continued the wait for more manga.

Trivial footnote: for the slideshow sequence at the end, Greg Ayres and Brina Palencia were in the recording booth at the same time.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:

It's nice to see the continuing Beck love happening. I'm a big Beck fan with a completely filled amp box, all the manga released here, a poster signed by the dub cast and directors, and a little framed display for all seven guitar picks.

That's right. Seven. Wink

Oh yeah? Do you have the collectible guitar trading figures??

Because *I* do. Very Happy Though I don't have the full set, which I'm bummed about.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Oh yeah? Do you have the collectible guitar trading figures??

Because *I* do. Very Happy Though I don't have the full set, which I'm bummed about.

No ma'am, I have not, and I bow down to the master.

But I would snap them up in a heartbeat given the chance.

And happy birthday!

edited to fix very busted quoting

Last edited by MokonaModoki on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
8JF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
8JF wrote:

Me?

Don't you mean SNL67? Wink

I'm working on complete decade #3 not starting #5
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
8JF wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
8JF wrote:

Me?

Don't you mean SNL67? Wink

I'm working on complete decade #3 not starting #5

Yes, I meant SNL67.

Crap! Did you have to do your math that way? Crying or Very sad
Shenmei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Need to get my shelves filled up. D:
Moving around doesn't help. And continuous buying and saying "I'll take the picture after I buy this" doesn't help...

Need to post my collection soon. Been meaning to for a year.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
8JF wrote:

I'm not claiming to be old, just that all the youngsters around here sometimes make me feel that way. Lets face facts, I am above the bell curve as far as average age of most anime fans these days!
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Lets face facts, I am above the bell curve as far as average age of most anime fans these days!

I think I might be right there with you on upping the age average around here. That just makes us dignified, right? Maybe gentrified? Or... uh... maybe just old? Wink

Anyway, happy birthday, Bamboo!

I agree. I really wish my shelves were as organized as this week's collection. Alas. :\

Oh! And I'm glad to hear that Beck didn't completely fizzle at the end. I trust your opinion, so I'll check it out now. Smile Thanks!!!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
8JF wrote:

I'm not claiming to be old, just that all the youngsters around here sometimes make me feel that way. Lets face facts, I am above the bell curve as far as average age of most anime fans these days!

Yup, In out time we had to walk 20 miles everyday, on a dirt road, under a thunderstorm to watch anime on dinky analog Standard Defintion sets, some of then were monochromatic screens and in mono, with the pictures drawn on cels and photographed 24 cells just to make 1 second of animation . You kids and your direct dowloaded, 16:9 HD, GC filled, computer colored anime think you have it made... Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
snl67 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
8JF wrote:

Yup, In out time we had to walk 20 miles everyday, on a dirt road, under a thunderstorm to watch anime on dinky analog Standard Defintion sets, some of then were monochromatic screens and in mono, with the pictures drawn on cels and photographed 24 cells just to make 1 second of animation . You kids and your direct dowloaded, 16:9 HD, GC filled, computer colored anime think you have it made... Wink

Yeah, one look at my avatar and you will see a character from my first anime love, Star Blazers, which was watched in syndication on this quaint thing called a "UHF TV station"!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:

Yeah, one look at my avatar and you will see a character from my first anime love, Star Blazers, which was watched in syndication on this quaint thing called a "UHF TV station"!

Yup! My first exposures to anime were of the same vintage, Spanish dubbed versions of Mazinger Z, Space BattleShip Yamato, Space Pirate Capt. Herlock, BotP among others. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
hogkill3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually registered an account just so I could reply to this.

"Let me say this: if there is one show out there right now currently being released that totally deserves the hype, it's Fullmetal Alchemist."

I completely respect the majority of reviews on shelf life but I have to say that statement is total bs. And all these statements people are making about FMA being the best show, or the show that got them into anime, make me want run to the nearest animecon and start punching people.

Now I may not have seen as much anime as some of you, I've ony watched about 80 shows and maybe 20+ movies but FMA is definitely the most overated show out there. Not just because it gets more attention than it warrants, but because its BAD and gets touted as the best show out there.

Out of all the shows I've seen only two shows were worse than it, Trinity Blood and Lucky Star. The story is about a kid who desecrates his moms corpse, and blows up his brother, attaches his soul to a suit of armor and then goes on a journey looking for a magical gemstone that can get his brother's body back; this is not a good story. Along the way I am forced into watching crappy battle scenes, and the LARGEST AMOUNT OF EMO SCENES present in any anime. I cannot stand the incredible amount of emo scenes in this show, not just because they are emo but because I didn't find the stuff they were crying about sad, just stupid. Brother being blown up and stuck to a piece of armor = stupid not sad. This show is probably entirely to blame for the emo fad that is spreading across north america.

And as for shows I have seen that deserve this kind of hype they are: Gantz, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi, Death Note and Beck.

And yes I do think Gantz is an amazing show. I get the feeling that all the people who didn't like it are the emo FMA fanatics.

And the show that got me into anime was definitely Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. If FMA turned you on to anime stop cutting your wrists for looks and please follow through. It deserves a 7 out of 10 at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5