• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Noir have to do with Madlax, and which did you prefer?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zirdante wrote:
"Madlax are more realistic in comparison to the predictable, Hollywood-style gunfights in Noir "

spoiler[In the end, when madlax goes "I can't be killed" -mode and starts to literally dodge bullets, its totally realistic right?]

Madlax can't be killed because spoiler[she is the other half of Margaret Burton's personality that split off when she shot her father who tried to kill her while under Friday Monday's spell.] What's Mireille and Kirika's excuse? Oh yeah, they're just that "good".
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Those "Conversations With SSS" extras on the Madlax DVDs were so massively amusing they were better than the entire show (which was excellent so that says a lot), priceless. I really wish they'd do that for ALL their shows. Laughing
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I am not trying to convince the Noir partisans to like Madlax. But the fact remains that I didn't like Noir because I thought it was badly drawn, repetitive, predictable, and had annoying characters. Nothing is going to change my opinion that Madlax is a vast improvement over its predecessor.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I perfer Noir myself because to me it was a much darker story from the start. Madlax did have better animation at time, and did have a fantasy aspect which to me is a draw as a fan of fantasy, and as others have mentioned a lot more of the characters in Madlax had flaws, and it has been a while since I saw Noir but I can't remember if as many of the characters there had personality flaws or not... regardless though they are both excellent series, and truth it might be a toss up at the end since each had its faults and each had its successes.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yea you can chalk me up there with those that prefer Madlax over Noir. I do however, own both.

For me there were several reasons:

1>Story line. Overall i felt the story line in Madlax was done better then Noir, even though i saw Noir a couple years prior. I also tend to side with the thought that Madlax's characters developed more so, then the two leads of Noir.

2> Noir seemed to drag at times, and often to a point of detracting from the series. It was very easy to tell that some episodes could be skipped in their entirety as they were just filler episodes that were late in the series and thus were not included for character development like either of the first few episodes in each series.

3> It's been mentioned, but the extras, especially the phone conversations with SS were great. One of the best extras of any R1 release out there.

While i will never say either series is badly done, I do think there are many reasons to look at one being better over the other, as this thread shows, it just depends on whom you ask.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I am not trying to convince the Noir partisans to like Madlax. But the fact remains that I didn't like Noir because I thought it was badly drawn, repetitive, predictable, and had annoying characters. Nothing is going to change my opinion that Madlax is a vast improvement over its predecessor.

Um, some of us "Noir partisans" have already stated that we do like Madlax, just not as much. And the basic point of these kind of debates is to convince the other side, so there's no need to explain it off.

Although I've vehemently disagreed with you on some points, you've been sensible about this debate and never tried to get high-and-mighty about it (unlike certain other people in these forums I could name concerning certain topics), so I don't have a problem with anything you've said. Beyond thinking you're wrong, of course. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
On a side note, I found it amusing that in the intro to each episode of Noir, there is a brief sequence showing Mireille engaged in hand-to-hand combat with several attackers even though nowhere in the actual show does she dish out roundhouse kicks or demonstrate any martial arts skills whatsoever. There isn't any variety in her and Kirika's choice of weaponry either. At least Madlax gets to use a rifle with a telescopic sight on occasion. Hey, if the plot and the laws of your universe permit you to score a hit with a pistol every time, you might as well stick with what works. Laughing
Aien

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I've seen them both, first Noir and then Madlax, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like more.

With Noir, I really, really love the second part of the series, where the main story is very prominent. The earlier half consists of a lot of random filler episodes IMO, and I didn't really enjoy those much, especially on a second and third viewing. I did like both Kirika and Mireille, and especially their relationship.

With Madlax, I enjoyed the story from the beginning on more, but I never really cared for Margaret. I liked the side characters way more, especially Carossea Doon and Vanessa. I also really enjoyed the mystery of the show which remained constant till the end, wondering what the relationship between the two girls was. Of course a similar situation existed in Noir but somehow I cared less.

So, yea, I dunno. I love the style and (especially) the music from both shows.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
The main difference is that Madlax has a more focused plot as opposed to the meandering and frequently episodic storyline of Noir. The action scenes in Madlax are more realistic in comparison to the predictable, Hollywood-style gunfights in Noir where Mireille and Kirika mow down dozens of machine gun-wielding assassins who always manage to shoot near their feet. Madlax herself and Margaret Burton are rounded characters who undergo development in the series while Mireille and Kirika remain one-dimensional killing machines throughout, and unlikeable ones at that. Madlax also has interesting and sympathetic male characters, which Noir entirely lacks. I think it's obvious where I am going with this: Madlax is the better series of the two IMHO.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a discussion like this would come up. People keep quoting about how Madlax bears some obvious similarities to Noir and follows a plot in the same direction, but many of the posts here disagree. You've gotta think though, they almost mirror each other in terms of characterisation. Mirelle is obviously like Madlax, Kirika is obviously like Margaret Burton, and Altena, in some ways, bears a resemblance (at least in looks) to Limelda Jorg. Or it's just that their eye shapes match exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Boomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
Boomer wrote:
The main difference is that Madlax has a more focused plot as opposed to the meandering and frequently episodic storyline of Noir. The action scenes in Madlax are more realistic in comparison to the predictable, Hollywood-style gunfights in Noir where Mireille and Kirika mow down dozens of machine gun-wielding assassins who always manage to shoot near their feet. Madlax herself and Margaret Burton are rounded characters who undergo development in the series while Mireille and Kirika remain one-dimensional killing machines throughout, and unlikeable ones at that. Madlax also has interesting and sympathetic male characters, which Noir entirely lacks. I think it's obvious where I am going with this: Madlax is the better series of the two IMHO.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a discussion like this would come up. People keep quoting about how Madlax bears some obvious similarities to Noir and follows a plot in the same direction, but many of the posts here disagree. You've gotta think though, they almost mirror each other in terms of characterisation. Mirelle is obviously like Madlax, Kirika is obviously like Margaret Burton, and Altena, in some ways, bears a resemblance (at least in looks) to Limelda Jorg. Or it's just that their eye shapes match exactly.

Having a similar theme and having been created by the same studio, Madlax obviously bears more than a passing resemblance to Noir. Yes, most, though not all of the characters do parallel each other although Kirika always struck me as being a boring, uninteresting version of Rei Ayanami from NGE. For me at least, Madlax is Noir done right: a cut and polished diamond compared to a newly mined rough stone.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
legendfunk wrote:
Boomer wrote:

Having a similar theme and having been created by the same studio, Madlax obviously bears more than a passing resemblance to Noir. Yes, most, though not all of the characters do parallel each other although Kirika always struck me as being a boring, uninteresting version of Rei Ayanami from NGE. For me at least, Madlax is Noir done right: a cut and polished diamond compared to a newly mined rough stone.

True, that's really what I believe. Noir was kinda corny and went over-the-top WAY TOO MUCH. I guess Bee Train learned its lessons from Noir, went back to the drawing board, and perfected Noir in the form of Madlax. Boomer's metaphor in that last sentence would probably sum it up for my opinion on the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
Noir was kinda corny and went over-the-top WAY TOO MUCH.

Again, I have to point out: and Madlax doesn't do this? Come on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

Oh, Madlax is most definitely over-the-top. But Madlax offers a plausible explanation for whereas Noir just expects you to buy that enough training can allow for such feats. And in both of them, virtually nobody on the planet has heard of kevlar.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Key wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

Oh, Madlax is most definitely over-the-top. But Madlax offers a plausible explanation for whereas Noir just expects you to buy that enough training can allow for such feats. And in both of them, virtually nobody on the planet has heard of kevlar.

This is exactly the point I was making earlier. Madlax does not take the characters' abilities for granted and takes the trouble to provide an explanation for them instead of giving the finger to the viewer.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Key wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

This is exactly the point I was making earlier. Madlax does not take the characters' abilities for granted and takes the trouble to provide an explanation for them instead of giving the finger to the viewer.

Exactly, Boomer is kinda right, at least in Madlax the OTT scenes were explainable in most respects and it paid much more attention to characterisation as well as the action. What I'm saying is, it's good to have some exaggeration in anime (after all, I don't think anyone can expand their eyes to be as big as their whole face when excited) but since Noir lacked much characterisation, fanservice, and much of the action was pretty meaningless, it did "jump the shark" more than Madlax ever did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5