• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Cans Japanese Haruhi Suzumiya Dōjin Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariolander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Well it is two fold. Why stop projects who don't hurt you and when you have to plans on making anything like that yourself? Then again why let other people profit off your IP.

None the less its kinda sad that Japan is cracking down on these fan made works. If I am not mistaken Kadokawa recently sent a cease and desist to that awesome Moyashimon Screesaver software so it seems a trend. Crying shame 'cause though stupid I thought it was a damn nifty app and with no official alternative I can't help but feel angry as a fan of that show.

In all seriousness you don't make "the big bux" and many a software company and manga artist have started in the doujin grey-area. I guess I am a fan of the previous status quo & bind eye hands off approach unless they were doing something official but in cases like Moyashimon Screensavers where they C&D and offer no legal alternative I feel to empathy for IP holders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
To be honest, this is really a crime shame. I mean, its laughable when a doujin game based on a series as "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsuu" can actually be better than the official stuff that was released by Kadokawa......in fact, I think that could be one of the reasons for the C&D. Haha!

Anyway, it seems more companies are going after gaming doujin circles more these days that its hard to find a decent game from certain groups. The only ones I mostly have confidence in are French-Bread, Twilight Frontier (Tasofro), Studio Siesta, Lights, Team Shanghai Alice, and a few others seeing I've never actually seen a bad game from them. I'm surprised with all the To Heart, Hatsune Miku, Air, Clannad, Kanon, Lucky Star, & other anime doujin games out there, these companies aren't going after them as well (Especially the Kanon, Air, Clannad, & To Heart stuff). I really hope Key, Leaf (AquaPlus), and others don't start going about doing this as well.....I play more doujin games than consoles cause frankly, their better than most of the crap console games out right now.

Anyway, to answer someone about how this game was, yes, its actually good and it also has netplay and customizable characters (appearance only). If you're used to play Higurashi Daybreak Kai then you really wont have a problem with this game neither. I have it but as to where I got it from, Google is your friend. Let's just say its floating about.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
Well, it's pretty sad, but it's their intellectual property, so there's little that we can do about it. Never tried the game though, since I don't have the hardware to run it.

Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Anyway, it seems more companies are going after gaming doujin circles more these days that its hard to find a decent game from certain groups. The only ones I mostly have confidence in are French-Bread, Twilight Frontier (Tasofro), Studio Siesta, Lights, Team Shanghai Alice, and a few others seeing I've never actually seen a bad game from them.

While I'd admit that companies going after circles has a bit of impact (shall we call it a 'chilling effect'?) on circles, I don't think that that's the only reason why it's so tough to find good doujin games. I blame Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap, after all; the circles you mentioned likely belong in the 10% of non-crap (For the record: I DO like French-Bread's, Tasofro's and Shanghai Alice's games). I really think that this was a case of a massive company with a huge franchise going after a single well-received game as an example. I wouldn't know whether it'll work, though.

Interestingly, the circles you mentioned have either made original series (Team Shanghai Alice) or have made games with the approval of the original creators (French-Bread with Melty Blood; Tasofro with their official Touhou fighting games and Higurashi Daybreak). Which is a good thing, since that means that the only possible thing that can go wrong with Touhou is ZUN himself. Laughing
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I just wanted to make a small comment right quick. To whomever wrote the article for this and said this game plays like "Dynasty Warriors", that is so off the mark on all levels. Ain't no way this game plays anything like Dynasty Warriors.......in fact, its not even a hack 'n slash game but rather a 3rd-person fighting game resembling Higurashi Daybreak Kai or if you want something people can better relate to.......PowerStone 2.

I know its not hard to do research on games and all but please get the facts right or else people will misunderstand what type of games are which. Just a little rant, tis all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
zr74 wrote:
Zac wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
sooo....anyone know if a torrent is out there of this game?

Asking for illegal downloads here is forbidden.

I didn't ask for a torrent i asked if one existed. How long is this stupid ban for anyways

A lot longer now that you've broken the rules again and re-registered during a ban.
QBasic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
zr74 wrote:
Zac wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
sooo....anyone know if a torrent is out there of this game?

I didn't ask for a torrent i asked if one existed. How long is this stupid ban for anyways

A lot longer now that you've broken the rules again and re-registered during a ban.

There you go Answer Man.
On your flight into space.
Rocket high, through the sky
What adventures soon you will make.

Answer Man bombs away
On your mission today
Here's the countdown, and a blast off
Everything is GO Answer Man.

Answer Man as you fly,
Strange new worlds you will find
Atom sound jet propelled,
Fighting monsters high in the sky.

Answer Man there you go
Will you fight friend or foe?
Cosmic ranger, life of danger,
Everything is GO Answer Man.

Friends will cheer you
You're our hero
As you go go GO Answer Man.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
*claps*
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Actually, seeing that this game is now no longer in development or being updated or such, this actually makes this game abandonware or freeware, in a sense now. You can't buy it now if shops took it off their listings and like I said, this game is definetly floating about on the net if you know where to look (sworn to keep this information to myself cause I don't want to get banned so please use Google if you're that determined to find it).

Anyway, can anyone else confirm this assumption or if not, then forget I said anything.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post but there is a update on this subject with Crypton & Hatsune Miku doujin games. Recently it was reported that they gave out C&D notices for people who made games with Hatsune Miku in it that they believed that would damage their property image, that's not the case any longer as reported from "Canned Dogs" (Thanks to Zephy):

Crypton removes restrictions on doujin games
February 22nd, 2008

Ejin kenkyuusho brings news regarding their correspondence with Crypton on their Hatsune Miku doujin game which was asked to be removed from distribution 2 weeks ago. Crypton had actually approved their game for distribution again, though with a change in the game’s title as requested by Crypton.

Though, the biggest change is that Crypton has revised their official guidelines where it comes to doujin games. Previously, the guidelines said that all games were not allowed, but they’ve now completely removed that bit in the guidelines, and people are free to make and distribute doujin games as long as it doesn’t damage their product image.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Sorry for the double post but there is a update on this subject with Crypton & Hatsune Miku doujin games.

I'm sorry, but I'm not making the connection between this and the subject of the news article. Confused
Could you elaborate?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
QBasic wrote:
Zac wrote:

The Answer Man answers INCORRECTLY?! *gasp*

What's "FAIL" is that you're obviously here to just take shots at Zac. Btw, you're still wrong. ANN doesn't permit any downloads of this kind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Sorry for the double post but there is a update on this subject with Crypton & Hatsune Miku doujin games.

I'm sorry, but I'm not making the connection between this and the subject of the news article. Confused
Could you elaborate?

Okay, it really doesn't have anything to do with Kadokawa but it was mentioned in the article as noted:

"Crypton, the makers of the Vocaloid vocal music synthesizer and its Miku Hatsune idol mascot, asked the Ejin Kenkyūsho and Murder Kōbō dōjin circles to cease distribution of their unauthorized Tatakae! Ore no Hatsune Miku ver.1.2 (Fight! My Miku Hatsune ver. 1.2) fighting simulation adventure game two weeks after its January 25 release."

The C & D on this game has been lifted and now able to continue distribution since it does not harm the image of Crypton's mascot. Just thought I should throw that out.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Okay, it really doesn't have anything to do with Kadokawa but it was mentioned in the article as noted:

Ah, my bad. I tend to skim over the "yadda yadda" parts. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2